December 2010 Moms

New here, sleep question

Hello! My bubba was born 12/2/10. I'm a second time mom. We did CIO with our older son when he was like 18 mos. (He had medical issues so we waited that long)

LO is now 9 mos, and I want to try CIO BUT ...he still eats - takes almost a whole bottle - in the middle of the night. And we're up at least twice a night. How do we do it? Should I wait until we're off bottles completely? I'm so tempted, but so wary of doing it at the wrong time. How do you know when it's time?

Thank you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New here, sleep question

• We neverdid cio, but if you feel he is ready for it, then try it. Is he waking up at the same time every night? We tried just rocking ds back to sleep. Even though he would eay the whole boyle in the middle of the nighr, he wasn't waking up because he was hungry. It was like he was waking up out of habit. Once we stopped giving the bottle in the middle of the night, he stopped waking up for it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemands629:

Welcome!  This is a great group of ladies!

We did CIO when L was about 6-7 months old.  I got Ferber's book, and I'm not sure if it was in there or someone on here said that middle of the night feedings are more habit at this point than anything else.  I would personally reduce the amount of formula/BM he gets in his bottle over a week or so.  Once he's down to only a few ounces I'd try CIO.  I just wouldn't want to shock him too much and make in more difficult for you.  

Good luck!

I like this plan.

• Loading the player...
  • i would wait to CIO until the night feedings are gone.  i agree with mands.  slowly feed him less and less oz's.
  • I don't have much CIO help, but I wanted to say welcome!!  Also, our babies have the same bday!  :D
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Welcome!  Try increasing the calories he gets during the day, so his body won't need the food at night. Then, drop the night feeding. We did a modified version of CIO when he was 4 months old and he's been STTN (sleeping through the night) since.

• We were having the same issue and it went away when we added in an afternoon snack.  He doesn't like to eat a whole lot at one sitting, so the four sittings of solids gave him enough to last the night.  He woke out of habit for about a week, then stopped waking at all.
  • Thank you for the welcome and the great advice!!

Of course, last night he slept from 7-2am, then took TWO 8 oz bottles. I should have read your responses first! LOL. I am going to try the reduction in formula method to wean him off, then cut out the night bottle entirely. Also, his top tooth (tooth #3) just poked through so maybe we are on the right path for sleep? A girl can hope!

• you can do CIO now but I agree with the other posters -- you need to add food/BM/formula during the day in order to offset the feeding. That's what we're having trouble with now. we are doing CIO but I'm not sure we've been able to increase the daytime intake enough to offset it yet. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My babe also shares the same birthday!  Welcome and good luck to you guys!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"