3rd Trimester

Can't sleep - hips hurt!

Is anyone else having trouble sleeping because your hips hurt when you lay on your side?  Any suggestions for how to make it more comfortable??

Re: Can't sleep - hips hurt!

• Tylenol, heating pad, pillow between the knees and a lot of changing positions :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • sleeping with a pillow between my knees has been key.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Loading the player...
  • Mine comes and goes. I just have to switch sides all throughout the night :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesap05e:
    Mine comes and goes. I just have to switch sides all throughout the night :(

I deal with the same thing. I cant sleep in any one position for longer than two hours, it seems. I have a large body pillow that i stradle and that seems to help.

• imagesap05e:
    Mine comes and goes. I just have to switch sides all throughout the night :(

I deal with the same thing. I cant sleep in any one position for longer than two hours, it seems. I have a large body pillow that i stradle and that seems to help.

• Yes, and it's horrible! I tried sleeping with a pillow between my knees, but it's just hard to keep it in the right spot when I'm changing positions every 10 minutes. I took Tylenol before bed last night, and it seemed to help alot.
  • I agree with the pillow between the knees! It's a life saver.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm surrounded by pillows in bed and flip sides frequently.

I also have better luck sleeping on the couch sometimes, maybe because the back support keeps me in place.

• Yep!!  Same boat here.  I bought a foam mattress topper (egg crates) and that has helped with the aching hips.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm to the point that nothing helps.  It used to be having a pillow between my legs was key but now sometimes the constant separation of my legs actually makes it worse.  I can't win!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • the couch. pillows are useless to me. I'm not taking pills. so its the couch or i'm awake.
  • A body pillow has really helped me. A regular pillow between my knees was not cutting it at ALL. I also alternate hot and cold on my hips before bed, which really helps. I still have to switch positions every hour on the hour (or more), but at least its bearable now. Sometimes I have to switch the heating pad back on in the middle of the night and use it again.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • imageMegan0426:
    I feel ya sugar britches!  My nightly routine is lay on one side, after 2 hours, wake up, pee.  Come back to bed and lay on other side, after 2 hours, wake up, pee.  And repeat.  Last night I did find a somewhat comfy position though... I propped my body pillow on the right side of my body and layed on my back, BUT the body pillow had me leaning to the left.  So I wasn't on my back, but wasn't on my hip either.  Then hubs rolled over and slammed his arm across my stomach to snuggle and it ruined it :

Same exact sleeping pattern here.  And when I'm extremely comfortable DH always ruins it by throwing his arm across my stomach.  The majority of the time he puts it right up against my bladder, then I'm up going pee again! ( I swear his arms weigh a TON! )

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • imageMegan0426:
    I feel ya sugar britches!  My nightly routine is lay on one side, after 2 hours, wake up, pee.  Come back to bed and lay on other side, after 2 hours, wake up, pee.  And repeat.  Last night I did find a somewhat comfy position though... I propped my body pillow on the right side of my body and layed on my back, BUT the body pillow had me leaning to the left.  So I wasn't on my back, but wasn't on my hip either.  Then hubs rolled over and slammed his arm across my stomach to snuggle and it ruined it :

This has worked for me a few times too, but I have to find the sweet spot...it does not always work. If you are not far enough on your back and you feel your belly pulling, try putting a pillow under it. Like I said, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

• switch sides often and keep a thick firm pillow or two between your knees and thighs. the more in line your outer thigh is with your hip the better it will feel. Def try a wedge for the belly support too. sometimes I even just put the pillow under the hip Im laying on for a little and that helps but then you gota stay awake to move it back between your legs again. GL you are far from alone Im sure

• omg hips hurt as well!! especially when i sit down for long periods of time. but to help with my sleeping i normally prop myself up in a comfortable position and then soon after i fall asleep. i dont believe in taking pain medication while pregnant.
  • Not sure how your medical insurance works down in the States, but if it's covered, try a chiropractor! I've been going for awhile now and t's incredible how much it has helped my hips. She has been treating my RLP (treatment is excruciating but only for about 1 min. on each side of my hips) and I can now sleep on my side for at least a few hours. It's a huge improvement from not being able to spend 5 minutes on either side. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"