2nd Trimester

Team Blue question...

It just dawned on me that with a boy I'll need to decide whether or not to circumcise him. I'm from a family with mostly girls so far so it didn't even occur to me. I've done a little research but there seem to be good reasons for both sides. My husband doesn't care and there are no religious objections on either side to either choice so I'm just wondering what other Bumpies are doing and what your thoughts are.

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Team Blue question...

• You're going to stir up someshit with this one.  We are team blue, and will be having our son circumsized. MH and I decided it is best. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are not, if it is a boy. The medical reasons for doing so are still fairly skimpy (most of the benefit is in regards to STD transmission, which obviously can be avoided in a number of ways, and the research is still coming out), and I'm just of the opinion that you shouldn't go around cutting off body parts unless there's a really, really good reason for it.

Plus I don't know, something about it seems kind of barbaric to me.  Taking a tiny infant and cutting off part of his most sensitive body part just because? No thanks.

• Loading the player...
  • I would also recommend watching a video of the actual procedure before making up your mind, so you are fully informed on what is involved. 

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6584757516627632617

• imagetartaruga:

I would also recommend watching a video of the actual procedure before making up your mind, so you are fully informed on what is involved. 

omg.  I shouldn't have watched that.  Be warned if you decide to click this link.

• I left the decision up to DH and he wants to have him circumcised, if we have a boy. I've heard quite a few horror stories about uncircumcised boys getting infections and whatnot and then getting circumcised later in life so I think it's best, plus DH is circumcised so his son won't be "different."
  • DS is, and if this next one is a boy he will be as well. DH had an opinion on it, so I went with that

I have been to many a bris (we are not Jewish, but many of our friends are/we live in a very heavily Jewish community) and in all honesty from what I have seen it is not "barbaric" at all. For all that I have been to the baby cries when they are unwrapped (since they get cold), are comforted, and then haven't cried at all during the actual procedure. Our DS slept through his entire procedure and we never had any issues with infection, etc. Our OB is also a mohel (a Jewish person who is trained to performed circumcisions during a bris), so I felt very comfortable with him doing DS's.
  • imageDevonPow:
    DS is, and if this next one is a boy he will be as well. DH had an opinion on it, so I went with that

I have been to many a bris (we are not Jewish, but many of our friends are/we live in a very heavily Jewish community) and in all honesty from what I have seen it is not "barbaric" at all. For all that I have been to the baby cries when they are unwrapped (since they get cold), are comforted, and then haven't cried at all during the actual procedure. Our DS slept through his entire procedure and we never had any issues with infection, etc. Our OB is also a mohel (a Jewish person who is trained to performed circumcisions during a bris), so I felt very comfortable with him doing DS's.

You don't see anything barbaric about the whole concept of cutting off a sensitive body part just because? I'm not even talking about the actual procedure - just the fact that you are cutting off part of your child's body without an extremely compelling reason to do so.

Would you ever cut off any part of your daughter's body just because it's tradition or because there's a study or two out there showing it MAY reduce the risk of certain STDS? Not that it actually ensures she won't get them, just that it reduces the risk? 

• imagemabenner1:
    You're going to stir up someshit with this one.  We are team blue, and will be having our son circumsized. MH and I decided it is best. 

Sorry I didn't know it was a controversial subject. Most of the people I know did or didn't circumcise based on family or religious reasons (like if dad was then they did or if dad wasn't then they didn't). I know there are reasons that say doing it makes it easier for parents and them to clean it but with the proper instruction I don't see how an uncircumcised penis is any harder to clean than a little girl, both have skin folds that need special attention. 

• We don't know the sex yet but ours will be without any question or hesitation. A friend of mine is not. He was a high school and then college athlete. He was humiliated to shower with the team his entire life. Not to mention the possible infections if it's not kept clean. There is no way I would do that to my boy. Kids are mean. No way I'm giving them ammo that does not need to be there
  • imagetartaruga:

imageDevonPow:
    DS is, and if this next one is a boy he will be as well. DH had an opinion on it, so I went with that

You don't see anything barbaric about the whole concept of cutting off a sensitive body part just because? I'm not even talking about the actual procedure - just the fact that you are cutting off part of your child's body without an extremely compelling reason to do so.

Would you ever cut off any part of your daughter's body just because it's tradition or because there's a study or two out there showing it MAY reduce the risk of certain STDS? Not that it actually ensures she won't get them, just that it reduces the risk? 

You obviously have a strong opinion on it, which is fine. In all honesty, no, I don't. Again, maybe because so many of our friends are Jewish and I have seen so many circumcisions actually performed for religious purposes, it does not seem barbaric to me. To each their own, I don't care what anyone else does, but for us it is a decision that I feel comfortable with.
  • imageLilyPotter218:
    We don't know the sex yet but ours will be without any question or hesitation. A friend of mine is not. He was a high school and then college athlete. He was humiliated to shower with the team his entire life. Not to mention the possible infections if it's not kept clean. There is no way I would do that to my boy. Kids are mean. No way I'm giving them ammo that does not need to be there

This is a terrible reason to do this, especially since there is a growing percentage of boys who are not circumcised. By the time our boys are in high school, it's estimated that it probably will only be around 50-60% of boys circumcised in the US. So an uncirc'd kid will hardly be an anomaly. 

• Sorry I can't quote. Tarta have your opinion. There is no way my boy will not be. The end. Never asked for your approval.
  • imageDevonPow:

You obviously have a strong opinion on it, which is fine. In all honesty, no, I don't. Again, maybe because so many of our friends are Jewish and I have seen so many circumcisions actually performed for religious purposes, it does not seem barbaric to me. To each their own, I don't care what anyone else does, but for us it is a decision that I feel comfortable with.

I guess I do. I never really gave it much thought until I was pregnant the first time and I started looking into it. I kind of realized, wait a minute, why on earth would you do this?? It seems like something people would do in ancient times, not something people would do in 2011. And I can't imagine cutting off a girl's body part just for the heck of it, so why would I do that to a boy? 

I will admit, I have a really hard time understanding the arguments in favor of it.  If there is a compelling medical reason like the foreskin is deformed or something, then yeah I can definitely understand it. But cutting it off just because? I kind of feel like we have body parts for a reason and it's generally not a good idea to just cut them off for fun.

• imageLilyPotter218:
    Sorry I can't quote. Tarts have your opinion. There is no way my boy will not be. The end. Never asked for your approval.
    Um, okay. Fine. Cut off your son's sensitive penis bits just so he won't possibly get made fun of in 15 years. Awesome. There's absolutely nothing in the world more important than having people not make fun of you as a teenager, you're right.
  • imagetartaruga:

imageLilyPotter218:
    We don't know the sex yet but ours will be without any question or hesitation. A friend of mine is not. He was a high school and then college athlete. He was humiliated to shower with the team his entire life. Not to mention the possible infections if it's not kept clean. There is no way I would do that to my boy. Kids are mean. No way I'm giving them ammo that does not need to be there

This is a terrible reason to do this, especially since there is a growing percentage of boys who are not circumcised. By the time our boys are in high school, it's estimated that it probably will only be around 50-60% of boys circumcised in the US. So an uncirc'd kid will hardly be an anomaly. 

You seem pretty judgy about what other's do with their LO's penises. Good for you if you choose not to do, we don't care what you do with your LO's penis and we're not judging you for not circumcising. I have met more grown men who want to get circumcised than men who wish they weren't (I work in an E.R) so maybe it's you who needs to think about how your LO will feel when he's grown up. 

• imagekcvasquez:
    imagetartaruga:

imageLilyPotter218:

You seem pretty judgy about what other's do with their LO's penises. Good for you if you choose not to do, we don't care what you do with your LO's penis and we're not judging you for not circumcising. I have met more grown men who want to get circumcised than men who wish they weren't (I work in and E.R) so maybe it's you who needs to think about how your LO will feel when he's grown up. 

Yeah, I guess I do get judgy about performing unnecessary medical procedures on infants for vanity reasons.

And I've known plenty of men who are not circumcised who have never had a single issue with it. Believe it or not, there are entire countries where barely anyone is circumcised and somehow they manage to keep themselves clean, not to mention millions of men in this country who live perfectly healthy and happy lives with their entire penises intact. 

• We do actually have body parts that are useless. Like wisdom teeth and an appendix. Those are more difficult to remove and are usually left unless they cause an issue, but our bodies DO have parts that play no role in our daily lives.
  • imageLilyPotter218:
    We do actually have body parts that are useless. Like wisdom teeth and an appendix. Those are more difficult to remove and are usually left unless they cause an issue, but our bodies DO have parts that play no role in our daily lives.
    So why not leave the foreskin unless it causes an issue?

There are also many things that we are discovering about the human body that we didn't know generations ago, things that we previously thought were useless but actually are not. 

• Look, there are worse things you can do to your child. I just feel like you should have a really, really good medical reason to cut off part of a baby's body.

I realize that not everybody feels this way. 

• imagetartaruga:
    imagekcvasquez:
    imagetartaruga:

imageLilyPotter218:

You seem pretty judgy about what other's do with their LO's penises. Good for you if you choose not to do, we don't care what you do with your LO's penis and we're not judging you for not circumcising. I have met more grown men who want to get circumcised than men who wish they weren't (I work in and E.R) so maybe it's you who needs to think about how your LO will feel when he's grown up. 

Yeah, I guess I do get judgy about performing unnecessary medical procedures on infants for vanity reasons.

And I've known plenty of men who are not circumcised who have never had a single issue with it. Believe it or not, there are entire countries where barely anyone is circumcised and somehow they manage to keep themselves clean, not to mention millions of men in this country who live perfectly healthy and happy lives with their entire penises intact. 

Like I said, that's great for them but judging other's for something that is considered common and safe is just unnecessary. You can get your point across without being so b!tchy about it. There are plenty of worse things people do to their children i.e physically/sexually abuse them, neglect them, murder them....I think more time an effort should be put into worrying about children in those situations than something that is legal and common (in this country) and something that isn't going to scar the child for life. Sorry but I haven't met anyone who wants to kill themselves because their penis is circumcised. However I have met people who want to kill themselves because they were sexually/physically abused. Just saying time could be spent better worrying about other major problems. 

• imagetartaruga:

imageLilyPotter218:
    We do actually have body parts that are useless. Like wisdom teeth and an appendix. Those are more difficult to remove and are usually left unless they cause an issue, but our bodies DO have parts that play no role in our daily lives.

There are also many things that we are discovering about the human body that we didn't know generations ago, things that we previously thought were useless but actually are not. 

Why not allow other parents make the decision of what to do with their children without getting all judgy? Nobody is judging you based on your decision, so calm down. We had the twins circumcised and it was NBD. We will be doing it again if this baby is a boy.

TBH, I am judging your gigantic paragraph of a siggy. It's hard to tell where your post ends and your random mortgage siggy begins.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tarta. We disagree. I will never for one second consider not doing this if LO is a boy. Nothing you can say will make me feel differently. I think it is an unnecessary and unsanitary body part. I too know men who are not. Two of them had elective surgery as grown men to change this. Oh and not one man who is, remembers any pain or suffering... Can you not be mature enough to just agree to disagree?
  • imagekcvasquez:

Like I said, that's great for them but judging other's for something that is considered common and safe is just unnecessary. You can get your point across without being so b!tchy about it. There are plenty of worse things people do to their children i.e physically/sexually abuse them, neglect them, murder them....I think more time an effort should be put into worrying about children in those situations than something that is legal and common (in this country) and something that isn't going to scar the child for life. Sorry but I haven't met anyone who wants to kill themselves because their penis is circumcised. However I have met people who want to kill themselves because they were sexually/physically abused. Just saying time could be spent better worrying about other major problems. 

This makes no sense to me at all. So because I think circumcision is unnecessary and kind of barbaric, I therefore don't have time to also care about child abuse? Huh? 

• imagedanlexi04:
    imagetartaruga:

imageLilyPotter218:

Why not allow other parents make the decision of what to do with their children without getting all judgy? Nobody is judging you based on your decision, so calm down. We had the twins circumcised and it was NBD. We will be doing it again if this baby is a boy.

TBH, I am judging your gigantic paragraph of a siggy. It's hard to tell where your post ends and your random mortgage siggy begins.
    You're telling me that there's NOTHING you judge about other parents? You don't judge parents who dress their 4 year olds like hookers? You don't judge parents who sit their kids in front of the TV for 9 hours a day? You don't judge parents who feed their kids nothing but McDonalds?

Why can't you just let people decide what to do with their own children without judging them??? 

• We probably will if we have a boy.  DH is, and I flat out asked him if he remembers the procedure - of course the answer was no.  It is not tramatic.

tartaruga, I also am not seeking your approval.  I have my opinion and you have yours.  

Yours will not change mine, just as mine will not change yours...so cool it because no one cares.  There's no need to attack anyone with your beliefs when we obviously do not share them with you.  Why do you care so much what I do with my kid's penis?  I suggest a break from the boards for a while if this sends you over the edge...  

• McDonalds daily could actually end up killing a child. My 2 1/2 YO niece insists on dressing herself. She looks like a clown/hooker/Halloween costume some of the time. She's not hooking herself out or doing any harm. Tv 9 hours a day. Again. Developmental harm in that. I also judge the 15 YO walking down my street, 8 moths KU with #2 and cigarette hanging out of her mouth. Stop comparing apples and oranges. Curing off foreskin is not going to kill your child.
  • I'm not pregnant, just lurking, and I have to say, that before I met DH I was with a man who was not circumcised and it honestly bothered me a lot! And he was very ashamed of it as well. I've never considered not circumcising because of that. DH feels the same way. 
  • imageLilyPotter218:
    McDonalds daily could actually end up killing a child. My 2 1/2 YO niece insists on dressing herself. She looks like a clown/hooker/Halloween costume some of the time. She's not hooking herself out or doing any harm. Tv 9 hours a day. Again. Developmental harm in that. I also judge the 15 YO walking down my street, 8 moths KU with #2 and cigarette hanging out of her mouth. Stop comparing apples and oranges. Curing off foreskin is not going to kill your child.
    And there is also a huge difference between voicing your opinion vs being an a$$hole about it.
  • imagetartaruga:
    imagedanlexi04:
    imagetartaruga:

imageLilyPotter218:

You're telling me that there's NOTHING you judge about other parents? You don't judge parents who dress their 4 year olds like hookers? You don't judge parents who sit their kids in front of the TV for 9 hours a day? You don't judge parents who feed their kids nothing but McDonalds?

Why can't you just let people decide what to do with their own children without judging them???  

See bolded part above. You're making yourself look like a tool for being so judgey of others reasonings. And then you have the nerve to ask someone else why they can't just let people to decide what to do with their own children without judging them? Pot, meet kettle.  

• If DH and I have a boy we will have the baby circumcised. Every one has their own opinion and belief on it but Tart you are being extremely judgmental. I have read many studies that have been done over in Africa and how male circumcision has decreased diseases especially AIDS so for me having my boy circumcised is not an unnecessary surgery. 
  • Circumcison= never a fun topic on thebump. Sorry =/ A lot of people have their VERY STRONG opinion. This is going to be one of those decisions you make with your husband, and no one on this forum should sway you one way or the other (unless it is very useful and correct information that you never knew about prior). As you can tell, it usually just stirs up a lot of fights.

My biggest piece of advice, if you still feel 50/50 about the situation- ask either your OB/GYN or your son's soon to be pediatrician. You will get some straight facts from them that might help make the decision easier.

• imageLilyPotter218:
    Yes. I'm the one being a judgmental a$$hole here...
    Not you, silly! I was agreeing with you and adding that I think she's being an a$$hole. Sorry if I didn't word that right.
  • Danle... Sorry! Thanks for clarifying :) no worries. I can't quote so it also gets confusing!!
  • imageRachNRich:
    imagetartaruga:
    imagedanlexi04:
    imagetartaruga:

imageLilyPotter218:

See bolded part above. You're making yourself look like a tool for being so judgey of others reasonings. And then you have the nerve to ask someone else why they can't just let people to decide what to do with their own children without judging them? Pot, meet kettle.  

And I would like to introduce you to sarcasm.

I see circumcision as inflicting unnecessary pain on an infant for reasons of vanity. So yes, I judge that.

I'm assuming that you all are equally accepting and non judgmental of people who circumcise girls too? After all, its their daughter so it's really none of your business and you shouldn't care what they do to them as long as its done when they won't remember the pain.
  • imagetartaruga:
    imageRachNRich:
    imagetartaruga:
    imagedanlexi04:
    imagetartaruga:

imageLilyPotter218:

And I would like to introduce you to sarcasm.

I see circumcision as inflicting unnecessary pain on an infant for reasons of vanity. So yes, I judge that.

I'm assuming that you all are equally accepting and non judgmental of people who circumcise girls too? After all, its their daughter so it's really none of your business and you shouldn't care what they do to them as long as its done when they won't remember the pain.

Lurking here. And if they chose to do that to their daughter then so be it. I was in the room with my DS when he got circumsized and he didn't even whimper one bit. He just held onto my finger and the doctor did her thing. I never regret one bit having my DS circumsized.

There is too many sanitation issues when it comes to being uncircumsized. Whether you teach a little boy to pull back the foreskin or not, I wouldn't trust that a little boy would always take the time to do so. And a little boy is not going to want his mommy in the bathroom touching his bits to make sure he does it correctly. This can cause infections, especially UTI's. Then they are having unnecessary pain, antibiotics, etc. 

Stop judging people for wanting to do it. They aren't judging you for not wanting to do it.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ugh, I hate these posts. I should have know this was what it was going to be about when it said team blue.  I am not going to say whether I will or will not because I could care less what anyone else thinks of the decision I will make for MY CHILD. 

• Just please do your research on this. If you're both not really caring one way or the other I'd hope you'd lean towards not doing that since it's an optional procedure and not entirely without risks. Still, I get that people do it for religioius reasons. My DH is not circumcised (it's just not as standard in Europe and many other countries around the world and he's just fine (as are millions and perhaps billions of other men).

It is a very personal decision though- so don't let me or anyone else talk you in to something you don't believe strongly in.

• imagetartaruga:

I would also recommend watching a video of the actual procedure before making up your mind, so you are fully informed on what is involved. 

You can choose to have a local anesthetic or have the baby intravenously put out for the procedure, just so you know. I don't believe the baby in the video was numbed.

If we are having a boy he will be numbed in one way or another, we would NEVER let that happen without anesthesia. There is no need for that to be done without some kind of numbing going on, this isn't a 3rd world country for crying out loud.

• We are having him circumcised.  No huge reason why, just a preference thing, I sort of let DH make the call and he felt that it was best, I tend to agree but like I said, no huge reason why.  Just what we have chosen to do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"