Natural Birth

Cord Blood- Possible dumb question

Are many of you planning to save and store your baby's cord blood? If you do plan to save, does that mean you cannot delay cutting the cord? 

It makes sense to me that if you wait until after the blood has transfused back into the baby, there will not be any left to save. I'm not scientist, though, so I could be way off in my assumption.

Any info would be great! Thanks so much!  

4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
              imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

Re: Cord Blood- Possible dumb question

• You can't do both (delayed clamping and storing cord blood). I think the benefits to baby in an immediate way through delayed clamping (oxygen and blood volume particularly) are much more beneficial than the possible need of cord blood for a relative who may or may not be a match years down the road (kind of a long shot).

Google brought up this right away ... I'm sure there is better info out there, but here ya go:

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/cord-clamping-delaying-cord-clamping

• We saved DS's cord blood and had to clamp almost right away (I think the midwives might have waited a min).  They also told me I couldn't give birth in the water, I'm not sure why, but I had no problem with that as I did not find the water comforting at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagediamondcks:
    We saved DS's cord blood and had to clamp almost right away (I think the midwives might have waited a min).  They also told me I couldn't give birth in the water, I'm not sure why, but I had no problem with that as I did not find the water comforting at all.

hmmm. I haven't heard anything about the water affecting whether you can save the cord blood. I am really hoping for a water birth, so this is something I will need to look into. Thanks!  

4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• imageStacieJane:

You can't do both (delayed clamping and storing cord blood). I think the benefits to baby in an immediate way through delayed clamping (oxygen and blood volume particularly) are much more beneficial than the possible need of cord blood for a relative who may or may not be a match years down the road (kind of a long shot).

Google brought up this right away ... I'm sure there is better info out there, but here ya go:

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/cord-clamping-delaying-cord-clamping

Thank you! Thank you!

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• There is great information at this link: https://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/cordIssues.html#Clamp

Some of the responses given contradict others, but there seem to be plenty of responses indicating that it IS possible to delay cord cutting (until after the cord stops pulsating or even until after the delivery of the placenta) and still collect cord blood for storage or donation. I'd show this to your provider and maybe discuss with the bank you're donating to/company you're storing with, and see what they have to say.

It was a non-issue for me because although I was interested in donation, the cord blood bank I was talking to only allowed donation from hospital births. When I switched to homebirth, I wasn't allowed to donate anymore, nor was I interested in private cord blood banking, so I didn't look into the procedure any further.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• I am not sure if you can do both. I used Cord Blood Advantage to help me in my research / decision process. They match up your preferences to what the cord blood banks provide.

Perhaps the collection of the cord blood (gravity method or suction) will allow you to delay clamping? No sure. If you do find out, you can use cordbloodadvantage.com to find out which banks use each method.

Hope that helps. I ended up not banking. 

• What do you mean they matched your preferences to the different banks? How does that work? I am not even sure what my needs are....?
  • Exactly. Sounds like you are in the same place I was when I first started researching cord blood banking. So much information, can be very confusing.

Well, each cord blood bank ultimately provides the same service -- they preserve your baby's cord blood for future use in case your baby needs a stem cell transplant. The methods they use to collect and store your the cord blood vary from bank to bank. As an example, some use the anticoagulant Heparin while others use CPD. After researching both anticoagulants, you may prefer one vs the other.

You can learn out all the different options on cord blood advantage's website in a few minutes. They break it down fairly simply; although, I can think of a few ways to make the site better. After you can then decide what's best for you and your family and then use their comparison tool to find out which banks provide which option.

Really makes things easy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"