Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How to change bedtime

I usually know how the night will go even though DD is not on a schedule. Usually she'll BF around 8 or 9 and fall asleep then wakes up again either just before midnight or just after and wants to eat again. So every night I'm not getting to bed til around 1 and I can't wake up til around 9, which I hate. I love mornings and I feel like a day waster when I sleep in past 8. Anyways..what can I do to shift DD bedtime forward? Even just an hour or so. I hate staying up so late and I keep DH up late which isn't good for him either.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: How to change bedtime

• We are in the same boat -- I try to go to bed by 10:00 so when LO wakes at 1-2 I have already slept some...we have tried a lot of different bedtimes, but everytime we put him down earlier he'll just fuss til 9 or 10, eat and then pass out at his usual time.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'll take em!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageExpectantSteelerFan:
    It sounds like you don't need to adjust her bedtime but yours...can't you just go to bed super early, after she eats at 8/9, and then wake up earlier whether she's up or not? 

We've more or less done that too -- I've stopped going back to bed after LO's 6 am feeding since I'm going back to work in a few weeks.  Plus I get TONS done because he's in such a sound sleep!  And then I'm ready for bed after his 9-10 feeding.

• Loading the player...
  • I'd say go to bed when she does, but if you just can't (I couldn't!) then maybe try a dreamfeed before you go to bed around 10 or 11.  It might get her through a longer stretch.  We just started doing DD's bath earlier at 6:30 as opposed to 8pm and now she'd going to bed around 7 or 7:30 most nights.  We were doing a dreamfeed, but she doesn't seem to need it anymore, so we stopped. It did help when she was younger 6 weeks-ish.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We FF, but our feeding schedule is pretty much the same as yours. I just go to bed earlier so that I get an hour or two of sleep in before that first feeding, then I don't always feel the need to go back to sleep after the 6am feeding, even if he's still asleep. It's a good time for me to get a cup of coffee down (if he's awake already, I can't finish it before it gets cold! lol), and get bottles washed, laundry started, etc. I'd say at this stage, it will be easier to change your schedule than LO's!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Again, I agree with PP -- if you can get even an hour or two of sleep in, that nighttime feeding is so much less painful!

• Thanks ladies, once again..the center of the universe triumphs over mom haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"