Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Does your H help? Have you been out of the house yet?

Have you gotten out of the house yet? I haven't in a month and just wanted to get a mani. Haven't even been out with the baby (besides walks) since his pedi says two months and one day before any outings. Want to vent, but don't think I have the energy. ughhhh

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Does your H help? Have you been out of the house yet?

• Yes DH will stay with DS whenever he's home and I want to go out.  Sometimes when he gets home he just takes DS and says go you need a break which I really appreciate. 

DS and I go out just about everyday and have been since we left the hospital.  He has 2 playgroups that we go to weekly and then just regular errands, lunch with friends, appts, etc.  Are you really staying in the house with DS for 2 mos?  That's insanity, I would be nuts by the end of a week.

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageYellow_Daisy:

Yes DH will stay with DS whenever he's home and I want to go out.  Sometimes when he gets home he just takes DS and says go you need a break which I really appreciate. 

DS and I go out just about everyday and have been since we left the hospital.  He has 2 playgroups that we go to weekly and then just regular errands, lunch with friends, appts, etc.  Are you really staying in the house with DS for 2 mos?  That's insanity, I would be nuts by the end of a week.

I am going nuts.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageYellow_Daisy:

Yes DH will stay with DS whenever he's home and I want to go out.  Sometimes when he gets home he just takes DS and says go you need a break which I really appreciate. 

THIS!

DS and I go out every day. We have all along. We go to gymboree, playdates, lunches, shopping, etc. I could not and would not stay in. If your LO isnt exposed to anything then they dont build their immune system and tend to get sick more once they go out (from my experience as a pedi RN). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Why do you have to keep LO in for 2 months? Is there a medical reason for this?
  • imagemelaniedel:
    imageYellow_Daisy:

I am going nuts.

All my friends with kids told me to make sure we got out of the house at least once every other day if not every day or I would lose my mind.  They were so right.  Once or twice a week we don't have anything planned and don't go out and at the end of the day I am just going stir crazy.  You have to plan an outing for both of you and if your H isn't helping then make him and go get that mani.

TTC since 8/2004
    Me - DX Hashimoto's Disease, Hypothyroid, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    DH - DX Azoospermia - Sertoli Cell Syndrome
    DS-IUI #1-4 BFN IVF #1 - BFP! It's a boy!!!
  • I too go out with my son a few times a week, I am interested to know why your pedi told you 2 months? I hope everything is ok with your lil guy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My pedi also said to wait 2 months before taking DS2 out.  We had DS1 out at 5 days, but are going to wait a month this time.  The pedi said if they get sick, they will most likely be hosp since they won't be able to really know what is wrong. He said it just isn't worth it. 

OP, yea, my H helps out as best he can. He can't BF, so I really can't leave yet. I just started pumping today, so we will see.  I have only been home since Friday and am going nuts. The other thing that bothers me is that my most favorite thing to do is run with errands with DS and my H and now I am stuck at home while they go out.  It's tough. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Yikes!!! Our Pedi said no outings to super crowded enclosed places, or visits from toddlers for the first couple of months, but other than that she was fine with outings.  Maybe you can find a new moms support group?  The one in my area was a godsend.  I was nervous about taking her out, but we went to a group when she was about 10 days old and it was great, both from a learning perspective and just so I didn't go completely insane locked in our home.  As far as your H not helping, that's crap!!  You need time to decompress and feel normal for a bit.  Go get that mani, add a pedi, and enjoy it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have been out but I take the little one w/ me so I don't have to rush back (BFing).  I leave DH with the other two :))) 
  • We've been out to eat twice, gone to the store a few times, and visited my parents. That's just in the last week. DH takes care of the Smudge as much as I do (more at night, honestly), And if I wanted to go out alone, he would be more than happy to hang out with the baby. I hate going out alone though, so the issue hasn't come up.
  • My Pedi told me 2 months too....but.....we went out when he was like 5 days old...I couldn't stay in the whole time!  I agree with the poster who said if they're not exposed, they won't build up an immune system....

DH does more than his share, his work is slow so he's been home since the baby was born and I'm on leave too.....I haven't gotten a mani yet though I desperately need one....maybe next week!

• My daily outing with no kids is the gym every morning.  I take advantage and sometimes will stop at a store on the way home.  DH does not start work until 2pm so I have some time.  I take DS out when I have to, or to lunches.  I try to keep him home, not because of germs, but due to the extreme heat.  But when DD goes to dance class he goes with, or if if we have outings in the afternoon I take him. Just easier to stay home sometimes...and DD is so tired in the afternoon with preschool starting, etc...For me yes I have to get out of the house for my sanity and DH always will help. 
  • DH helps a ton. I went out for an appointment by myself with DD and also went to my job to show her off and to a bakery to get some treats. Two months and a day to go out? That's rather conservative. Heck we went to Target when she was maybe 4 days old to get her some more NB clothes!

• Staying in the house for 2 months???? That sounds insane. We took the baby at the pedi on day 2, she wan't even 48 hours old yet. After the appointment we went out to lunch with DS and my mom. It was a nice family time. Next day we were all at the mall, shopping. We did the same when DS was born. I went out when I felt fine going out.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I go out almost every day :) Usually with both kids, but sometimes DH keeps them, or one of our parents watches them for a couple hours so that we can get some time together.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • How old is his Pedi? That's INSANE! We have a Toddler and even with her we were out and about withing 3 days. Just don't let people get their grubby hands all over baby and get out of the house!
  • 2 months? We stopped at the supermarket for a few items on the way home from the hospital. I brought LO to his grandfather's funeral when he was 5 days old. (My fianc?s dad died 2 days after LO was born.) We have been out almost every day since birth. You just have ton use common sense. You can keep people from touching the baby by wearing him in a carrier like a Moby, putting a blanket over the car seat or stroller, or simply by telling people that your pedi said not to let people touch him because he is so young. As you can see, most of us have been taking our babies out ... How many stories have you read on here about babies ending up sick in the hospital. I think that your mental health is more at risk by staying in than LO's physical health going out. That being said, daddy has watched LO for a few short outings, but they have been very short since I am BF I also miss the little guy too much when. I am out without him!
  • Whoa. Yes, DS has been out of the house a few times a week with me or us since he was a week or two old. Our pedi had no problem with it, just to keep people from getting in his face and touching him in public where they probably hadn't washed their hands lately. I think I would go nuts in the house for two months!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My pedi said no gym nursery, church nursery, or walmart for 2 months. She didn't say I couldn't go out with her. The worry is her getting a fever and going to the hospital.

I had to take her back to the hospital the day after we got discharged for a test. No one touched her but people kept staring and commenting. I threw a receiving blanket over the top.

I'm still a little nervous about taking her out. I've gone on errands with H and stayed in the car. Today, I left them in the car when I went in to shop. It was nice to have some "me" time but I was still close. 

H is awesome. He has been cooking me dinner and doing everything around the house. I got him a gift today. :-)

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • You haven't left your house in a month?? I'd have lost my mind weeks ago! DS is only a week old and I've already been out several times. DH has been awesome about helping out with both boys and insists that I get out of the house alone....he knows that I would go looney if I didn't.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH helps as much as he can, but he's out in the field a lot so I'm left to my own devices with LO more often than not. When he is home he has kept her at home with him so I could run an errand or two just to feel like a normal adult, if I think I'll be gone more than an hour I make sure to leave a bottle of pumped milk behind with him. When I've been at my parents' house I've also left her to run a couple quick errands, too. I haven't done it to go get a mani or pedi, though. Maybe soon.

On that same note, with DH being gone a lot, going out with the baby is a necessity. She's been grocery shopping, to the mall, out to eat for lunch or dinner, she's been on several long road trips to visit relatives, had a large meet the baby party out of state, and been to a wedding out of state, not to mention all the other little errands I have to run on a regular basis. Life can't cease to exist just because I had a baby.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My husband doesn't help that much. If I want anything done I have to specifically ask for it to get done. I wish he'd want to help though and offer to help with DD or offer to take her and give me a break. I guess I should be happy he doesn't say no when I ask..but it would make me feel more appreciated if he offered. 
    I do go out a lot though. It's stressful and hard sometimes because DD will cry right in the middle of a grocery store trip, but I love shop therapy so just being out makes me feel better.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with OPs pediatrician, but I am very conservative about these things.  You want to be so, so cautious those first two months because any fever baby gets, especially in the first month, would require blood work, a urine cath, and likely a spinal tap.  It's just not worth it, IMO.  I agree, no gym nursery, no church nursery (or even church for that matter), no Target/Walmart, no busy restaurants, etc.  It is still technically summer, but soon fall will be here and the beginning of cold/flu season, too.  Now, having said that, I would take my LO out for a walk around the neighborhood, or out for a drive, or maybe to a very quiet cafe where LO stayed in the carseat with a blanket over the top.   But, for me, I don't mind being home.  And, when I do feel the need to get out, just being outside does it for me.   I know that is not true for everyone. 

• I took DS out of the house at 2 weeks, to parents house..wasn't any different than all the visitors coming to see him at home. Now we are pros at going out!! I couldn't imagine staying inside for 2 months, I'd be insane and depressed! I would just watch for strangers or kids, wouldn't let them touch on him because of germs but otherwise you should be good!
  • I think I just got depressed reading your post. I was actually semi-conservative about this and we waited about 2.5 weeks to go to a restaurant. But, people come over anyway and bring their germs in, so what's the difference? I think that's pretty old school advice. Use common sense and wash your hands, but germs are still in your house too unless everyone who leaves and comes back (DH etc) washes everything before entering. Yes, other places are probably more germy, but you still can't live in a bubble. At least get yourself out for your own good!
    DD1 June 2011
    DD2 Due January 2015
  • My husband is awesome, he has always been super hands on though. In the beginning, he would take DS out so DD and I could nap. And he still will let me sleep in or nap if I'm tired from a rough night. I went to a movie by myself a few weeks ago, it was great. I couldn't wait to get back to my babies though:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Daddy is happy to have baby boy on him as soon as he walks in the door. I have taken son to the grocery store but only before 2pm when it starts gettin busy. That's where we take our walks. Think about tryin that because u r goin to go crazy if u don't try something. Jus dont take baby anywhere crowded and u can keep baby in the car seat in the cart and keep it covered. Good luck.
  • I went out on Sunday for the day with my Mom to get mani/pedi's, haircut, shopping and dinner--DH stayed home with DS.  He always wants to make sure that I have some time out away from DS since I'm home with him all day.

I haven't really been out much other than that due to an infection I have with my c-section incision, I have a visiting nurse everyday, and the timing varies everyday.   Hopefully starting next week DS and I will go out for more walks and errands once I can drive again. 

Our pedi just told us to be smart when talking DS out and that's what we do

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"