Toddlers: 24 Months+

Stuff for DD to do in the car on road trip?

We have about a 16 hour drive coming up next month to go down to see DH's family.  We're hoping we can get a good chunk of driving in while DD is sleeping, but we know we'll need to have some stuff in the car to keep her busy.  We do have a DVD player, and I'm going to bring lots of books, but aside from that...what else can keep a 2 1/2 year old busy in the car for that long without going crazy? 

Re: Stuff for DD to do in the car on road trip?

• we had a dry erase board with colored markers, coloring books & crayons & flash cards.

good luck

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In July, we took a vacation and drove from Indiana to South Carolina, and we did not have a dvd player.  While that was a big mistake, I did put some games on my iphone and he played with that.  My dh also runs a radio station so he pulled some Disney music and we listened to that. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • This book (from Toys R Us) is awesome.  Lots of stickers and scenes to place them in.  You can even move them around .  Keeps my DD busy forever.

Elmo's Super Sticker Book -  Phidal Publishing - Toys"R"Us

• Invest in the Aquadoodle travel pad (we got ours at Wal-Mart)-it's been a huge lifesaver for us plus you don't have to worry about markers or lost crayons and if water gets on something who cares! It folds up and is about the size of a large book so it doesn't get in the way either.

We also make sure we have her favorite tunes to play for her on our iPod. Theres also a really cool magnent book we have but I'm not sure where it came from-it has all these different shaped magnents and shows different animals to make with them.

• My SIL just bought DS a color with water mess free doddle book from target. It AWESOME! you put water in the brush and the page turns colors..once it drys you can color it all over again!

https://www.amazon.com/Sesame-Street-Water-Doodle-Book/dp/1595240896

I think they are $4.99 at Target

• Someone suggested to me to get those little gel stickers that stick onto windows. I found some recently at a 75% off sale and have them saved for the next road trip.

New snacks are great too! For road trips I get treats like yogurt covered raisins and animal crackers.

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD can play forever with her baby laptop and those books that have buttons or keyboards. DD can hit the buttons and jam to the little songs over and over again. She also really likes her magnadoodle. I always go to the consignment store (for us its Once Upon a Child) right before a trip and buy some "new to her" toys, usually things with lots of buttons/noises and books to pack along for the trip. Lots and lots of snacks too.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • We have a Sesame Street felt sticker book that really helped us out during our flight.  My 2yo loved it!
  • We just finished a 13hr road trip and it went pretty well. I had his favorite cars in reach, a personal DVD player for him and he used his coloring pad (the dry erase crayons from Craola). We also sang songs and he had "relaxation time" during what should be nap time. Generally he slept badly except one day.

We stopped off every hour before nap time and every hour and a half after. 

• Magnadoodle...well the one we have is FP but it is travel size and the "pen" is attached so DS cannot lose it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Drive overnight if you can. We did to/from Florida and it worked great for us. My parents drove the girls during the day on the way there and it was a lot harder on them. We had them on the way home and they slept all but 2.5 hours, plus bathroom breaks. Same with DS--he rode with DH and I overnight on the way there and slept all night, rode home with my parents and talked nonstop!

We had the DVD player with a few movies and some nick jr dvd's, a magna doodle, some babies, and some paper/stickers. Oh, and we had a small box of trio blocks. I think that's about it.  

• imagejesssy1204:

My SIL just bought DS a color with water mess free doddle book from target. It AWESOME! you put water in the brush and the page turns colors..once it drys you can color it all over again!

https://www.amazon.com/Sesame-Street-Water-Doodle-Book/dp/1595240896

I think they are $4.99 at Target

These are awesome. I bought ours (in Canada though) at the dollar store for $2 each. I also highly recommend the Magna-doodle. My DD has a water one too and she just unscrews the pens and dumps the water out so the Magna-doodle was better for us. She also likes her Violet in the car to sing along to. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"