3rd Trimester

What to Pack in Diaper Bag for Baby when Coming Home?

Okay, so my baby shower is in a few days and then I am going to start packing my hospital bag & the babies diaper bag. I have a list of everything so far..tell me if I'm forgetting anything!!!

1. 2 Outfits & Pajamas
  2. 2 Receiving Blankets/ 1 Regular Blanket
  3. Diapers
  4. Diaper Rash Cream
  5. Plastic Bags for soiled clothes
  6. Burp Cloths
  7. Changing Pad
  8. Baby Wipes
  9. Bibs
  10. Bottle & formula in case he doesn't do well with breastfeeding.

Do I need to pack alcohol & swabs for umbilical cord??

Re: What to Pack in Diaper Bag for Baby when Coming Home?

• You really don't need anything more than your coming home outfit.  My hospital supplied us with everything else, including a cheesy diaper bag.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If this is all just for coming home, I think you have a bit much.  The hospital will send you home with whatever diapers and wipes are left in the packages you were using.  They'll also send you with formula if you choose.  I'd bring a going home outfit for you that you are comfy in, and one for the baby, their carseat (obviously), and a blanket to keep them warm in the carseat.  Other than that, you really don't need more for the actual coming home.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're giving birth in a hospital, you don't need all this stuff. Enjoy leaving the diaper bag at home for one last time and just bring an outfit for baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our hospital told us not to use alcohol on the cord stump. Apparently, nowadays you just clean it with a damp q-tip. It actually heals faster with water than alcohol.

Also, check on the diaper thing. A lot of people on here have said that you don't need to bring them but that is not the case where I live.

Here, the hospital uses their own cloth diapers while you are there so you DO need to pack disposables for the ride home.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• They will have all of that except the coming home outfit.  They will actually send you home with stuff. 
  • I never brought a seperate diaper bag.  I packed the going home outfit in my bag.  Everything else you could possibly need b/w the leaving the hospital and home is provided by them.....
  • imageadri77:
    I never brought a seperate diaper bag.  I packed the going home outfit in my bag.  Everything else you could possibly need b/w the leaving the hospital and home is provided by them.....

Same here.  Everything for baby (outfits and blanket) are tucked into my bag.  No sense in bringing a full luggage set to the hospital.  The less the better.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • a blanket and an outfit. nothing more. The hospital supplies everything else including diapers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Ditto on just a coming home outfit and blanket. But even those you won't need. We still have the blanket, outfit and hat they had dressed DS in.

IF, for some reason you have more than a 30 minute drive home, you might want some extra diapers, wipes, cream, etc for a diaper change (just in case).

I am taking my pump, just in case. I don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg for one of their manual ones again if I have trouble.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I would see what the hospital supplies. In my case, the hospital supplies everything for the baby except a pacifier. So for the baby packed a pacifier, blanket for the ride home, a burp cloth, and 2 take home outfits (1 in NB and 1 in 0-3 months since I don't know how big the baby will be.) Everything else is provided by the hospital.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• My sister just had her baby a couple of months ago and the hospital here supplied her with solid onesies, blankets, diapers, wipes, bottles, formula and a pacifier. I would say all you need is a coming home outfit for you and the baby, a car seat (carrier) and maybe a light blanket.
  • Our hospital also provided everything that baby needed and they let you take home what's left of the baby pack (diapers, wipes, etc.).  If your baby has a diaper rash that quick (i.e.  needs rash cream), then it means that they've got a reaction to that brand of diaper and you know you won't be using that brand.  Again, the hospital will provide it if necessary.  Just be sure to bring room in your bag for the "freebies" (many formula companies donate containers of formula to hospitals to give to new Moms - take full advantage!!!)..  All you really need is the take-home outfit, blanket, and carseat..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejnealet:
    You really don't need anything more than your coming home outfit.  My hospital supplied us with everything else, including a cheesy diaper bag.

This!

• We may also bring anything that we want for in a picture while in the hospital (i.e., day-old picture) like a special receiving blanket or maybe a special stuffed animal. Don't know what else yet.

Sep14 February Siggy Challenge: Favorite Romantic Movie - A Knight's Tale

Happily welcomed healthy baby girl December 2011.

Excited to welcome a new addition September 2014!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ditto everyone else, you really won't need much. I would advise taking the bag though, even if it just has one outfit in it. Our hosp gave us so much stuff we needed the extra space for diapers, blankets, etc!
    Charlotte Elizabeth - March 15, 2009
    Natalie Kate - October 4, 2011
    Blighted ovum, d&c at 9w, July 2012
    Blighted ovum, d&c at 10w, September 2013
    BFP May 28, EDD February 4, 2015
  • Why buy formula if you plan to breastfeed? That seems like a waste and--sorry if this offends anyone--any easy "cop-out" to breastfeeding by having it stare you in the face when things may be tough.

If you want to breastfeed, do not buy formula. If for some reason you cannot breastfeed in the hospital, they will provide you with formula. But it's really unnecessary to buy some if you want to nurse...it's expensive!

• I would ask your hospital. At my hospital I literally don't need to bring anything other than the car seat (duh). They provide everything else. I don't even need to bring a going home outfit because they give you one but I am going to because I want the one I picked out.
  • imagempotts09:

Okay, so my baby shower is in a few days and then I am going to start packing my hospital bag & the babies diaper bag. I have a list of everything so far..tell me if I'm forgetting anything!!!

1. 2 Outfits & Pajamas
    2. 2 Receiving Blankets/ 1 Regular Blanket
    3. Diapers
    4. Diaper Rash Cream
    5. Plastic Bags for soiled clothes
    6. Burp Cloths
    7. Changing Pad
    8. Baby Wipes
    9. Bibs
    10. Bottle & formula in case he doesn't do well with breastfeeding.

Do I need to pack alcohol & swabs for umbilical cord??

I would call your hospital's L&D Ward.  I called ours and was shocked that more was not provided.  She told us that they would provide wipes, diapers, things to keep baby wrapped up in (onsies/blankets) and formula incase she doesn't do well breast feeding but that was it.  Our hospital is 30mins away, so we packed 6 diapers, wipes, 2 going home outfits, a blanket for the car, hat, socks and mittens (her DD is Oct. 11) and a can of formula, a bottle, pacifier and a spit up cloth just in case.  She really doesn't have too much in there, but we definitely wouldn't get away with just a coming home outfit. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"