April 2012 Moms

Update to being the world's BIGGEST baby

So I had my blood drawn yesterday. As much as I tried to take everyone's advice to "relax" and "calm down," it was a lost cause. Embarrassingly enough, I had a melt down. DH was there, holding my hand, but I cried like a baby. It is so uncontrolable. It took several minutes of coaxing while I folded my arms like a little kid, begging not to do it. How humiliating. Maybe I will do better next time... one can hope!

I got so worked up that I forgot about the best part of the exam until it happened... we got to hear the heartbeat for the first time! It definitely was the silver lining...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Update to being the world's BIGGEST baby

• I hate needles as well. I just need the person to talk to me and distract me and at no point can I look at the arm or needles. I want a natural birth for many reasons but one of them is the huge epidural needle. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I hate needles, too. Getting the nurse to talk to me while she's doing it is the best thing I've found to do. The first blood draw is a lot but fortunately the nurse that was doing it is a friend of mine so conversation came easily! 

PP - that's my main reason for a natural childbirth, too - along with others :) 

• Loading the player...
  • imagewestrose:
    I hate needles as well. I just need the person to talk to me and distract me and at no point can I look at the arm or needles. I want a natural birth for many reasons but one of them is the huge epidural needle. 

I'm definitely all for a med-free birth.

but.

The IV port is way worse than the epidural.  The IV port is usually in your hand (which you are moving all the time).  You can see it.  And it has to stay in the whole time you are in the hospital.

You don't see the epi! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • I am absolutely terrified of needles too. I think that is one of the worst parts of being pregnant. However, I can tell you that from my 1st pregnancy, I did get better and better every time I had to get poked (which was a lot). I also was 100% sure I would NEVER get an epi. I actually did end up getting one and while it was probably one of the most terrifying experiences of my life it was MORE than worth it. I will do it again even though it still scares me to death. Just know that it gets a little easier to take with time Big Smile and always look the other way and talk or think about something else.
  • I had an intense fear of needles until my 1st pregnancy when the lab tech looked at me and said..."You have to suck it up, put on your big girl panties and DEAL...you're going to have a baby....there will be an IV and possibly an epidural and lots of blood work. You aren't doing anyone any favors by being a baby about it!"

And so I did....I wasn't gonna let that beesh have the satisfaction of seeing me upset. 

DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • I have hated needles all my life. I must say though, getting my blood drawn does't bother me because I don't look. However, getting shots freak me out. I can't deal with shots and I hear I have to get one at my first appointment, plus I need a flu shot?? FML. Not looking forward to the shots. :(
  • I had that same reaction when I was 14, and then later at 16 when I needed an IV, and then every time since then I've black out after. The only thing you can do is relax your arm, don't look, and talk about anything else. My lady talked to me about if we wanted a boy or a girl, helped me be distracted and I didn't black out . And that is why I don't want an epi! I will NOT put a needle in my spine! They're lucky they get to put one in my arm!
  • Yikes, girl...well, hopefully you get used to it! LoL, that's how I got used to it, just having to get it done time after time...and you eventually find your own ways to cope with it according to what's comfortable to you.  Glad to hear your appointment was great otherwise!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"