Baby Names

like most, i want opinions....

i am VERY much in love, basically, with the name Anaxandra. a few of my friends like it also, but was told by my sister that the 'x' makes it sound 'wrong,bad' not entirely sure what to think of that but want outsiders' opinions on that. her daddy dont really care wat her name is, (which is sweet and all, but unhelpful) according to him she will b his 'lil girl' no matter wat name she gets. thoughts on the name/any others that sound similar?  mainly going for names that are a bit rare but still nice, a twist thats easy to say in english/spanish(im hispanic, daddy is white, so i want something that would mix with both.

Thanks to those who offer tips/ideas/ANYTHING!    :)

Re: like most, i want opinions....

• oh also the middle name that i would like to go wit it(or any other that i choose) is Nivek. :)
  • I like your first name (including the spelling) and middle name choices, but I'm not a fan of them together.
  • Loading the player...
  • reminds me of xanax and the middle name Ick!
  • Sorry, they are both very bad, and...well I don't have anything nice to say so I will stop there.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Anaxandra sounds like an anime character, and not a fan of the middle name either.  I don't have any suggestions for you, because there is nothing I can think of that is comparable.
  • No, no, no, no, no, no and also...NO. You cannot name your kid Anaxandra. where the f did you even come up with that? It sounds like the love child of a Latina stripper and a cyborg. 

Suggestions (names that are easily pronounced in Spanish and English) : Adora, Beatriz, Calista, Dorothea, Flora, Laurita, Leandra, Luz, Perla, Rita, Valentina, Violeta 

• Yeah I'm not liking either name.  Alexandra- lovely.  Anaxandra- not so much and kind of weird sounding.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • imagemj.reilly:
    imageHannahO28:

No, no, no, no, no, no and also...NO. You cannot name your kid Anaxandra. where the f did you even come up with that? It sounds like the love child of a Latina stripper and a cyborg. 

While I agree on the "No" part on all parts. I found this:

Female form of Anaxandros. Means "master of a man" from Greek anax "master, lord" and aner "man" (genitive andros). This name was borne by Anaxandra, an Ancient Greek female artist and painter.

Anaxandra (fl. 220s BC) was an ancient Greek female artist and painter from Sicyon, Greece. She was the daughter and student of Nealkes, a painter of mythological and genre scenes. She is mentioned by Clement of Alexandria, the 2nd century AD Christian theologian, in a section of his Stromateis (Miscellanies) entitled "Women as Well as Men Capable of Perfection". Clement cites a lost work of the Hellenistic scholar Didymus Chalcenterus (1st century BC) as his source.

Her name was given by the International Astronomical Union in 1994 to a large 20 km diameter crater on Venus to commemorate the artist. The name was also used by the author Caroline B. Cooney for the principal character in her 2003 novel Goddess of Yesterday which is set much earlier during the Trojan wars.

So it looks like it is Ancient Greek?

Interesting.  My husband supports the translation of "above man" (he knows some ancient Greece.)

I think this name needs to stay in ancient times. For sure.  

• imagemagsugar13:
    reminds me of xanax and the middle name Ick!
    I also thought of Xanax. And please work on your grammar/spelling, that was painful to read.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemj.reilly:

And really ... Nivek?

Dude, Kevin spelled backwards does not work. Neither do Nevaeh or Semaj.

Is there some significance behind this?

I didn't even notice this, and my DH's name is Kevin.

This name is a major fail.

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • Awful. It sounds like prescription medication.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • they are both bad and even if it is ancient Greek it sounds made up. and Nevik is even worse. please don't do that to your child.
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Agree with everyone else.... Do not like your name choice. How about these for your criteria of rare/nice/twist: Acacia, Allegra, Zahara, Indigo, Capri, Wren, Genesis

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Taking a perfectly normal name and destroying the spelling does NOT make it "rare", "unique", or "different". It makes it more likely that your kid will be judged, your intelligence will be questioned, or your kid's future resume will be put on the bottom of the pile.

I wish there was a nicer way to say that.

Perhaps if I added/changed some letters?

OK, that (^^^^) was mean. ;) 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • How about Aleksandra or Alejandra? My top picks are: Mariela, Amaya, Amelia, Natalia, Camila, and don't you dare name your kid anything made up that starts with a "Y". 
  • I almost like Anaxandra, and I know what you mean about it being unique but easy to pronounce. However, it is too close to a modern name (Alexandra) and so it looks misspelled and/or made up. I think you'd be dooming your daughter to a lifetime of correcting people.

And Nivek? Really? That is AWFUL. And I thought so before I realized it was Kevin spelled backwards.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Sorry but your names are awful! She will be tortured in escuela!!
  • imagemj.reilly:
    imagekellyrn9956:
    imagemj.reilly:

And really ... Nivek?

Dude, Kevin spelled backwards does not work. Neither do Nevaeh or Semaj.

Is there some significance behind this?

I didn't even notice this, and my DH's name is Kevin.

This name is a major fail.

I didn't either until I went to research it (thinking it was a ethnic name). Google showed nothing other than "Kevin spelled backwards."

Don't forget that it was also, apparently, an obscure Star Wars character.

Yeah, like you, I was thinking that the name had roots I just wasn't aware of. It sounded like it could be the name of one of my Palestinian friend's family members... but no. 

• I agree with others that Anaxandra looks like a misspelled variant of Alexandra... So I'm not a fan. I also think that it would be mispronounced a lot.

Does Nivek have family significance? I don't like that either, sorry.

What about...

Adriana, Adalena, Antoinella/Antoinetta, Norah, Shakira, Genevera/Genevieve, Gabrielle/a, Victoria, Lillian/Lilliana, Juliet, Cordelia, Laurella, Callista, Marlena, Florentina, Carolina, Eleanora, Natalie/a, Gianna, Marina, Katalina, Georgiana, Clarissa, Angelina, Nadia/Nadine, Naomi, Carys

TTC #1 since 9/10

BFP #1- 1/15/13 EDD: 9/23/13 Early M/C- 1/18/13

BFP #2- 5/8/13 DS- 1/10/14
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"