Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Mom coming after delivery

My grandma came to stay with my mom for the week after I was born, and my mom wants to do the same for me.

Did anyone else have their mother come for a stay to help out, or if not, would that have been something you would have wanted? I'm wondering when I want her there. 

She will be a huge help- cooking, cleaning, helping with the baby, but I don't know if I want her there the day we come home from the hospital. What would you recommend?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Expecting #2 In June 2014
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Mom coming after delivery

• Options

I personally wouldn't have wanted anyone staying at my house, but I also have the luxury of having my mom only 15 minutes away, so she came a lot to help out.  If your mom has to travel to come, you might want to consider having her stay, because I definitely needed help the week after LO was born.

Use your best judgement, but realize once the time comes might be a better time to make your final decision.  GL!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

My parents came & stayed with us after our LO was born- dad for 1 week, mom for 2.5 weeks. I had a scheduled c-section, so it was awesome having them there. My dad was busy fixing/updating things around the house (we bought the house a year ago), while my mom helped with chores and the baby.  I would recommend having some help lined up, if that is what you want.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My mom lives only a half hour away, but I wish she would have been able to stay with us.  That way I would have been able to concentrate on baby and not worry about housework.  

Hubby got a bulged disc in his back 3 days after we got home, so that may have something to do with it lol.  It was left allll up to me.  Sucked the big one.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My mom is here now, but she didn't come until one week PP.

She plans on spending 2 weeks. I was concerned it would be too much now I know it will be too much. We still have a week to go and while I am totally appreciating the help, I am ready to have her go home. However, my mom can easily drive me up the wall.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

My mom stayed about a week.

She cooked, grocery shopped, did a big Target trip.  She also helped with E.  

We had a rough patch the first night, but things worked out, and we were sorry to see her go (she made us a bunch of yummy food.)

*The rough patch was mainly due to my lack of sleep, and discomfort from unplanned c-section.

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It is a personal call.  My mom was here watching my 2 year old when I gave birth to my new LO and she offered to stay a few extra days, but I declined.  I felt well enough to go it alone.  If you feel you need the extra help, there is no shame in taking it, but don't feel pressured to take it if you don't want it.
    old bumpie, new name ds1 3/2009 ds2 6/2011
  • Options
    My mom calms me down so I wanted her around a lot so I wouldn't rip my husbands head off. She was there while I labored/gave birth. But had to work my whole 48hr stay at the hospital. Then came back down to help us our first day home, and returned the next day too. It was really nice because I was recovering myself and it was nice to be able to hand off DD and take some time to rest my aching body. My MIL also came down the day after DD was born (even though I told her I wanted to wait 2-3wks before we had any out of town visitors) and was of no help. But thats a different thing altogether. My mom came and took my in-laws out to sight see in San Diego because she knew I didn't want to have guests to entertain haha
  • Options
    imagemanda42:

My grandma came to stay with my mom for the week after I was born, and my mom wants to do the same for me.

Did anyone else have their mother come for a stay to help out, or if not, would that have been something you would have wanted? I'm wondering when I want her there. 

She will be a huge help- cooking, cleaning, helping with the baby, but I don't know if I want her there the day we come home from the hospital. What would you recommend?

Do you have a spouse or SO that lives with you?  Even with twins, DH and I didn't want people there helping out the day we came home.  We were in the hospital from Thursday-Monday and got home Monday evening.  My parents and MIL came to visit during that week that we came home, but they came, stayed briefly, and left.  DH and I wanted that time to be able to bond with the boys as a family.  We were able to balance the needs of the boys as well as laundry and food on our own.

When DH geared up to go back to work a week later, my mom started helping out more.  I know grandparents get excited and sometimes having them there can be a bit overwhelming.  I would talk to your DH about it and see what he thinks about having some "family time" before the rest of the extended family moves in.

• Options
    I would definitely take a few days with LO before your mom comes. I think its important to bond with them and get into a routine first. Both sets of parents were planning on coming the second I went into labor (both live in other states). But my husband and I decided to have them wait about a week before they came to visit. That was a great decision! We were able to spend quality time together as a family of 3 (plus the 2 furbabies) and get into different routines. When the parents finally did came it was welcomed help and we could have them do things our way :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"