3rd Trimester

Paternity Leave

Earlier in the pregnancy my husband researched his company's paternity leave policy and it wasn't looking good for any paid time off. He basically had to use his PTO for paternity leave. Well today he talks with someone whose wife just had a baby and finds out that they now get 2 weeks paid leave that kicks in once they use 3 PTO days. Yay! I'm so excited that he'll be home with us for 2.5 weeks and won't have to exhaust all of his vacation days. What kinds of paternity leave do your SOs get?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Paternity Leave

• My husband just "gets" to use PTO. Paternity leave would be nice, but he works at a company with a bunch of anti-social engineers who don't have families of their own, so paternity leave is low on their list of desired benefits at the moment. :) The upside is that he telecommutes and can be flexible with his schedule, so he can still be at home with me (even if some of that time involves working) without burning through a ton of PTO.
  • DH will take whatever they give him and say 'thank you' with a big smile. He'll be starting a new job when I am 32w3d pregnant, and we are just hoping for the best. Honestly, I don't think he's even researched it yet because he'll be such a new employee when LO arrives.

LUCKILY, we are moving to a city about 100 miles from both our families, so there is ample/awesome support fairly close by. (We're currently 300+ miles away in an apartment with no space for guests.)

As long as the insurance is good and DH is there for the first few days (he'll take every minute of PTO he has accrued), then that's all I can really ask for.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DH get's 10 days off, including weekends.  Then he can take whatever time off he wants with his leave.  Since we are due at the beginning of Christmas he will just take the 10 days and then take the free time they get off for Christmas (almost a full week)!
  • My husband get's a total of 8 weeks paid paternity leave to use whenever he wants during the first three months after the baby is born. He can take up to the nationally provided 12 weeks but the last four would have to be unpaid or PTO. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH gets 3 paternity days, 3 general family leave days and then he starts using PTO. He never uses all of his PTO in a year, anyway, so he'll have enough to take two full weeks off and have some left over for the holidays.
  • My DH would get laughed at if he asked for paternity leave.  He works 14/14 so if I go into labor while he's at work he'll get to come home for the birth and probably a day and then go back.
  • My husband gets no paternity leave.  He is using two weeks of vacation in the second half of October (I'm due the 12th).  We've been  told he was lucky to even get that, since October is apparently a highly coveted vacation time in his profession, and he's low on the totem pole since he just started in June.
    imageimageimageimage
  • My husband own his own business so technically he does not get any Sad. However, he has two wonderful employees that can take care of the office while he is out so I am pretty sure he will be leaving the office early for a while
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP 8/25/2010 MC Confirmed 9/8/2010 You will be missed Little May Flower!!!
  • DH gets two weeks paid pat leave. He also has a ridiculous amount of PTO built up (he's worked for the same university for 12 years) so he'll take a few weeks off around the holidays as well when I go back to work (I get no paid leave and only have enough PTO to get me through the end of November) so that DS#2 doesn't need to start daycare until January.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My husband works for the federal government in Canada, so he has the option of taking up to 9 months off (within the first year), at a pay rate of something like 91 or 92% of his normal pay.  He doesn't get money put into his pension during this time, but it's pretty awesome that he has the option of being here so long.  From what I understand, the 9 months is only an option for one parent, so if I was a citizen and working, I would probably take the time and he was take much less- but since I am a US citizen, he can take the extended leave. 

eta:  I really wish companies took pat leave more seriously and realized that when they are more flexible and generous with time off, flex time, etc. , they actually get better work output from men.   

Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • DH is self employed so any time he takes off is unpaid but he plans on taking 3-5 days off, depending on when the baby is born.
     TTC #1 since June 2008
    M/C @ 6 weeks 12/31/2008, Ectopic @ 6 weeks on 4/23/2010
    Diagnosed Unexplained 11/2009-DH is fine-I don't get AF
    Cycle #22 - 1/27/11 - IUI #1 & Injections - BFP! - DS born 11/11/11 
    TTC#2 - 2/24/14 - IUI & Injections - BFP! - EDD 11/29/14
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My DH gets 2 weeks of paternity leave through his company which is really great.  Those weeks will really help us establish a great routine with our LO and will allow him to spend a lot of quality time with her before he has to go back to work.  I'm really thankful for the benefits his job offers him.  
  • imageJulia_JJ:
    My husband just "gets" to use PTO.

ditto - my husband "gets" to use his PTO too.

Luckily, the company we both work for is also shut down for the week between Christmas and New Years, so he'll take some time off when she's born and then will be home for almost 2 weeks at the end of the month anyway

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• My DH gets 10 days paternity leave, and he's also thinking about taking another week of leave after that.
  • imageJulia_JJ:
    My husband just "gets" to use PTO. Paternity leave would be nice, but he works at a company with a bunch of anti-social engineers who don't have families of their own, so paternity leave is low on their list of desired benefits at the moment. :) The upside is that he telecommutes and can be flexible with his schedule, so he can still be at home with me (even if some of that time involves working) without burning through a ton of PTO.

All of this except substitue 'engineers' for 'architects.'  He will have 5 days he can take, but he'll probably only use 2-3 depending on how long I'm in the hospital.  We have a live in nanny that can take DS if he has to go back to work for whatever reason.

Mc 6/2/08 at 6w2d * CP 11/22/08 * CP 1/21/09 - Dx compound heterozygous MTHFR 3/23/09 - BFP 3/24/09
  • My husband has tons of sick time built up over 11 years, and he can use as much of it as he wants. We are lucky. He will take two weeks when I have the baby, then when I go back to work, he will take two additional weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My hubby gets 6 weeks of paid vacation every year which we never use.  He has 2 weeks left over from last year still and has not touched his 6 weeks from this year. In theory he could take it all off, but I am sure in the world of hedge funds if they can do with out him for 8 weeks then he doesn't need to work there anymore.

He is taking a week when LO gets here and the week between christmas and new years and then various days here and there.  He does work from home on occasion so he can be around if I need him while I am still on mat leave 

• DH gets 2 days and then has to use PTO.  That's more than I get.  He works in the office of an oil company and I'm a public school teacher.  We get NO paid time off, so I'll take the 2 days for him anytime.
  • My DH is taking 2.5 weeks. He gets 60% of his pay. But, he works for a very large company in NJ.  In the meantime, I get 8 weeks off unpaid for my maternity leave.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• DH is in the army and will get 2 weeks off.  The military is doing their best to allow soldiers time off when their unit can spare them.

We are lucky to be with a very family oriented unit right now that will do everything they can to make sure we have the time we need together.

Big Sisters 2/10 & 12/11
    Little Brother 3/1/18
  • My husband is eligible for FMLA leave (as any man is, if the company meets requirements) but it would be unpaid time off.  He will be using two weeks of sick time to be home with us after delivery and then returning to work so that, if necessary, he can "cash in" his FMLA time next year when I go back to work.
  • Unfortunately my husband gets paid by the hour with absolutely no benefits/leave so he doesn't "get" any leave :( But he will be off the days I'm in the hospital and hopefully another day or two once we get home. He may be able to work part time in office and part time at home a little bit. My husband pays most of the bills so as much as I want him at home with me, we can't really afford it.

I'm not provided with any paid maternity leave either. I can use sick leave for up to 6 weeks (or longer if doctor says I'm still recovering) and vacation leave for time after that. However, I don't want to end up with 0 hours when I come back to work so I'm only using my hours for half of my maternity leave and the rest will be leave without pay.

• My DH is the anomaly.  He works for a company that constantly gets berated in the media by how HORRIBLY they treat their employees, but he gets 8 weeks off! He's  taking it at the end of Jan so we don't have to worry about childcare until next school year.
  • 12 weeks paid. We are very lucky. He has to take it at the same time as me though. I kind of wish he could take two months of it later once I go back to work, but we are too close to the election then. Stupid election.
  • imageJulia_JJ:
    My husband just "gets" to use PTO.

Same here. And they even give him a hard time about using that. I know he is FMLA eligible, but sadly we cannot afford for him to be off with no pay and he only has two days of PTO remaining to use this year unless we don't go visit my family for the holidays. Luckily, my mom is flying here for three weeks so I won't be at home with the new baby all by myself. I'm just praying that baby comes on a Thursday or Friday so he can get a few extra days with us. I know it's not something we can plan, but a girl can dream, right?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH gets 4 weeks paid, he can take an additional 12 weeks unpaid.  The 4 weeks must be taken together, the additional 12 weeks must be taken together but doesn't have to be directly after the first 4 paid weeks.  It must all be taken within the first year or it's lost.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DH works for a non-profit that doesn't fall under FMLA guidelines. Anything he takes will come straight out of his PTO. And for the longest time, he was the only employee there with small children. In the last two months, there have been two births and they've just hired a new CEO with small kids. We have our fingers crossed that new paternity/maternity policies will be put into place.

I work for a major university and get absolutely no paid maternity leave. Any leave I take comes out of my PTO also. And I was denied STD coverage because I was pregnant when hired - pre-existing condition. 

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DH doesn't get specific paternity leave, but gets a LOT of PTO and sick leave yearly that he can use. He will be taking a month, and will still have plenty of both PTO and sick leave left. I am ecstatic that they are not only allowing him, but encouraging him to take so much time off (he originally was going to take just two weeks since he still considers himself a rookie at his job).

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Dh has no paternity leave and only has 4 paid vacation days left for the year (he has 10 total but we had to use a bunch earlier in the year when DS was hospitalized). I am crossing my fingers that I have the baby on like a Saturday so that at least I can have DH home for Sat & Sun then have him use paid vacation days for Mon-Thurs. and possibly take an unpaid personal day for Friday so I can get him for at least a full week-- really depends on how busy the company is and if the other guys can pick up the slack....I'm jealous of how long everyone else gets their DH's around to help! Oh well-- I figure I'm going to have to do it all on my own eventually so I might as well figure it out from the get go :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My husband can take up to 10 days (I think).  The catch is that you have to have been with the company for a year, which he hasn't.  However, once you have been there a year you can take paternity leave any time within a year of the baby's birth.  So for us, that means he can take it between July-October of next year.  He'll use PTO/unpaid leave when the baby comes, since he hasn't been on the payroll long enough to accrue much PTO.

I'm grateful that his company even has a paternity leave policy.  However, I am slightly annoyed because it was a complete mess getting him hired as a regular employee (he was a consultant there for over a year prior to that).  If they had hired him on when they first *said* they were going to, PTO and paternity leave wouldn't be an issue. :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My husband gets 10 days off (paid) that he can use at any approved time in the baby's first year of life. We're hoping that baby comes when his command is on Christmas stand-down so we will be able to use that paternity leave later on to go home and visit family with the baby. We'll see when the baby decides to arrive!! 

imageimageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • No paternity leave at DH's job or my company.  My company also does not offer any sort of maternity leave- just STD and FMLA, which I think is pretty typical.

DH is planning to take 8-12 weeks unpaid after I go back to work, assuming his boss is okay with it (his employer isn't subject to FMLA requirements.)

• My DH gets one week paternity leave and he plans to take at least one week of family leave after that.

• He can take up to 2 weeks non-paid and use any paid time off that he has. He'll be using all of his PTO and has been working some overtime prior to babies arrivals so that he's still hitting his policy quotas ect if he decides to take a few non-paid days.

• In the Navy, husbands are allowed to take 10 days of "baby leave". Anything in addition to that comes out of their leave bank.. No opportunities for "unpaid" leave!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"