April 2012 Moms

To be a SAHM or not...what are you doing?

2»

Re: To be a SAHM or not...what are you doing?

• imageRichInLove:

I'm a WAHM. I work while DS is sleeping, so pretty much I am a SAHM.

I wouldn't trade it for the world. I think since you're a first time mom, you're asking if $300 is "worth it," but it's not the right question. The money, in your situation, is not the issue at all. 

I've been a Full-time working mom and also a WAHM and I can tell you, that while being a SAHM is hard, it's WAY HARDER sending your child to be raised by someone else and missing them with every fiber of your being while they're away from you.

You have no idea what is going to change when you have your baby. The magnetism between the two of you will be palpable, and you won't want to leave their side.

IF you have a choice, and not-working is actually and option (some people it isn't), then please stay home. Join a mommy group (meetup.com), and enjoy the most wonderful, challenging, inspiring time of your life. 

I know I am probably cranky and oversensitive, but WOHM's don't send their kid to be "raised" by someone else. My DS's sitter "watches" him, she doesn't raise him. That is what my H and I do. And not every mother is cut out to stay home full time and statements like that seem to be made just to cut down WOH moms. I knew I shouldn't have even come in this post because there would no doubt be the typical sanctimonious SAHM comments from a select few that always tend to appear in the WOH v SAH debate.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • it is amusing what high horses a lot of the sahms sit on, lol.  you are still raising your own babies if you hire a nanny or dcp while you go to make money to support your family.  dont say douchey things to offend moms that choose to work.

i am a sahm, though i did go back pt after #1.  we have had an amazing part-time nanny for the past 3 years, who is very much like family.  she still comes to help out or babysit frequently thou i am now at home even.  i strongly feel that a good nanny or dcp becomes like family, and you wont feel like you are missing ll of your babies firsts.  

do whatever makes the most financial and emotional sense for your family.  neither job (staying at home or working out of the house) is easy in any regard.

i shoot canon. #3: due 4/2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmmm, I'm going to ignore the stupid "other people raising my kid" comments.  I love my job.  It's both intellectually and emotionally fulfilling.  In addition, I worked very, very hard for a long time to be able to do it.  I personally would never feel fulfilled being at home full time and not using that education so to speak.  I would hope my children appreciate that like I did with my mother.  She was my greatest inspiration and because of her powerful job I always knew I could achieve anything because I watched her do it.  I also like that my salary affords the luxury of paying for any and all schooling my children decide to pursue. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with staying at home, it's just not for me.  It's like any situation in life, there are risks and benefits to every decision.  You just need to sit down and figure out if the benefits outweigh the risks for you.    Patients make decisions I feel are "wrong" all the time but are "right" for them because the balance is different in their eyes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, seeing as I'm the worst housekeeper in the world (sorry DH but you knew this before the ring) I will not be a stay-at-home mommy.  Parts of me wish I could, most of me doesn't. I'm the breadwinner, so that's also a factor.  My mother was a teacher, so that's what I know. 

It's really a personal decision. My good friend Sarah was in the same boat you're in and she's loving it.  She freelances from home and is saving big bucks by not using daycare.

Good luck! :) 

• WTF is up with all the "other people raising my child" crap? Believe me there are PLENTY of SAHM out there who could take some parenting lessons from Working moms and vice versa. It's quite judgemental and close minded to think that staying at home is the best for everyone & their kids.

I'd rather have a stressful schedule with daycare, work etc. and just deal for the few years when it is hard, so that I can contribute to the household income and be able to better provide for my children. I don't want to have to skimp on groceries, clip coupons, move to a sh!tty neighbourhood, not be able to afford schooling etc. for them. To me these things are important. As is my own sanity. Personally I don't think I can just be a mom- my work is for me. I get to use my brain, interact with people, help people, learn.

I can see the draw of SAHM though, and who knows how I feel when LO gets here.

But all the crap about others raising your kids is BS.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As much as I enjoy being a SAHM, I'll more than likely be going back to work when the baby is 4-6wks old from May-August and in August (when all the kids go back to school) I'll be going back to school for Vet Tech.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagerc1276:

imageLina1030:
    I you have the means than no doubt be a SAHM.  Why would you want a daycare or relative to raise your baby(ies) and miss on any milestones, special moments or simply the day to day things.  I am a SAHM and would not trade it for anything else in the world.

This is offensive. I am a working mom and my husband and I raise our son. Our day care provider watches him during the day. WE are the parents.

I love being a working mom. I have worked hard to get to where I am in my career and I know being a SAHM would stifle me.

To each their own.

I agree. I think that this comment is offensive and hight pretentious.

The truth of the matter is that there is no right way to raise a kid. Plain and simple. Things work differently for each family. There is no one size fits all for this kind of thing. If people just recognized that, we wouldn't have the "strangers raising your babies" vs. the "I didn't get an education just to stay home" arguments that are so common with SAH vs working moms.

imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wish all the women who said crap like "other people raising your kids" would come back to this post and see how they've offended so many.

I was raised by a working mom and she sure as heck raised me, not anyone else!

My husband can't work for a salary because of the visa we are on so I am the sole provider for the family at this time. I am taking 5 months off, then going back to work part time, then I'll work full time after the first 11 months or so.

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"