Babies: 6 - 9 Months

I'm a judgey beyotch

A friend of mine posted on FB that tonight was the night she let's her son CIO. He is twp days younger than DS, and I still can't imagine letting him CIO. I'm not one to tell someone how to parent, but I tear up when thinking about letting my baby cry instead of get his middle of the night snuggles with me. It makes me wanna poke her in the eye and cuddle her baby at 2am since she won't now.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: I'm a judgey beyotch

• As much as I complain, I love those middle of the night snuggles too.  I can't imagine doing that either.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRandomPickle:
    A friend of mine posted on FB that tonight was the night she let's her son CIO. He is twp days younger than DS, and I still can't imagine letting him CIO. I'm not one to tell someone how to parent, but I tear up when thinking about letting my baby cry instead of get his middle of the night snuggles with me. It makes me wanna poke her in the eye and cuddle her baby at 2am since she won't now.

CIO =/= child abuse. Just so you know.

We use CIO because it works for our family (we started around 6 months), and that does not make me a neglectful/ bad parent.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Can someone please explain to me what CIO is?  I honestly don't know..dont judge me lol
  • imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

We use CIO because it works for our family (we started around 6 months), and that does not make me a neglectful/ bad parent.

Um.  Nobody said it made you a neglectful/bad parent.  We both just stated that it doesn't work for us and that we like to cuddle our babies in the middle of the night.  That's what works for us.  And that Pickle likes to poke people in the eye.  That's all.

• imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

No one said it was abuse. All she said was the thought of her baby crying instead of being cuddled was sad.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

Um.  Nobody said it made you a neglectful/bad parent.  We both just stated that it doesn't work for us and that we like to cuddle our babies in the middle of the night.  That's what works for us.  And that Pickle likes to poke people in the eye.  That's all.

She said she was judging her for it. Generally, you judge people when they're doing something wrong. What she's doing may be wrong for your family, but it obviously isn't for hers.

Also the last line of the OP is what rubs me the wrong way.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• I try not to judge considering I am not the person waking up how many hours during the middle of the night with the child. Not everyone is capable of doing so. I feel lucky to have had a child STTN at 8 weeks. I just hope that those who are CIO do it correctly though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrittDay03:
    Can someone please explain to me what CIO is?  I honestly don't know..dont judge me lol

CIO= Cry it out.

The short version is when it's bed time (or nap time, middle-of-the-night wake up, etc.) you put your baby to bed and allow them to self-soothe to sleep. This usually involves some yelling/crying. People's methods vary (Ferber, etc), but we do intervals. We started out with 3 minute intervals, and now we'll let him cry for about 10 minutes before we go in and shoosh/pat/rub his back. Once he calms down, we leave the room and the process repeats until he falls asleep.

Everyone does it differently, though.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

She said she was judging her for it. Generally, you judge people when they're doing something wrong. What she's doing may be wrong for your family, but it obviously isn't for hers.

Yes she said she was judging.  She did not say that the other parent was neglectful.  It was not a personal attack against you.  And what is wrong with wanting to snuggle a baby who is being ignored??  I think it is sweet. 

• I personally believe that teaching your child how to sleep well is more important than snuggles in the middle of the night.  I am at the later end of this board but if my baby still woke regularly in the night....I would look at what I was doing and change it!!!
    imageimage
  • imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

I agree.  It makes it seem like she doesn't want to love on her baby or something. 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

if you knew me, you'd know I wasn't actually judging her. People can parent however they want, its not my kid. Pull the stick out of your fatass.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRandomPickle:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

if you knew me, you'd know I wasn't actually judging her. People can parent however they want, its not my kid. Pull the stick out of your fatass.

You better listen to her..she knows about pulling :insert random thing here: out of asses.  Stick out tongue

• imageRandomPickle:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

You might want to remove the fact that you say you are judging in your title for those who do not know you then.

• imageRandomPickle:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

Oh, bless your heart. You're just a peach, aren't you?

Pregnancy Ticker 

• And I never said my friend doesn't love her baby. She is obviously doing what's right for her baby and her family. That's not what's right for mine. I'm just saying how I feel, what I feel like doing, and what is right for my baby and my family. I'm not in the mood to deal with asshatery on TB tonight, and I'm not defending myself when its uneeded. This week had been enough for me already.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRandomPickle:
    And I never said my friend doesn't love her baby. She is obviously doing what's right for her baby and her family. That's not what's right for mine. I'm just saying how I feel, what I feel like doing, and what is right for my baby and my family. I'm not in the mood to deal with asshatery on TB tonight, and I'm not defending myself when its uneeded. This week had been enough for me already.

Well then maybe you should have kept your judgment to yourself instead of posting it on a public forum where other women may (gasp!) practice CIO.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• I can't let DD CIO. I'm too weak, I would rather go in there and snuggle with her in the rocking chair than let her scream for however long it took her to fall asleep.

I did judge the girl I went to high school with when she posted on FB that she was letting her 6 week old CIO. If you wanna let your baby CIO, that's fine, but at 6 weeks? Really?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Pinterest:misskristina22
    Instagram:misskristina26
  • imageBrittRMere:
    imageRandomPickle:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

Oh, bless your heart. You're just a peach, aren't you?

...and on that note, I'm going to bed.  

• "if you knew me, you'd know I wasn't actually judging her. People can parent however they want, its not my kid. Pull the stick out of your fatass"

ROTFL This is an internet forum, obviously she doesn't know you, AYFKM?

Next time you can't take it, don't dish it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • This is too funny.

I judge 50 Cent because he nicknamed himself after money. But if you knew me you would know I'm not judging you because naming your kid after money is what worked for your family.

• imagevlewis84:

This is too funny.

I judge 50 Cent because he nicknamed himself after money. But if you knew me you would know I'm not judging you because naming your kid after money is what worked for your family.

Dead.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

Are you sure?

stirring the pot

Muhahahahaha!!!

ETA; GIF didn't work the first time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecitychicks:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

Are you sure?

Yes.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• imagecitychicks:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

Are you sure?

Are you kidding????? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagecitychicks:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

Are you sure?

Wow.

Totally uncalled for.

• imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

Honest question: what about it works for your family? Why do you feel it's the best thing? Also I didn't realize CIO applied to middle of the night too, like do you just leave them in there or do the interval thing at that time too?
  • I am going to go cry now because my baby will not cuddle with me in the middle of the night. The last time he cuddled with me was months ago! Maybe 4 months ago. he is Mr. Independant at night and sleeping through.
  • imageQuesera:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

Honest question: what about it works for your family? Why do you feel it's the best thing? Also I didn't realize CIO applied to middle of the night too, like do you just leave them in there or do the interval thing at that time too?

We tried a ton of different approaches before we tried CIO. Obviously, I hate listening to my child cry, so it wasn't the first thing we did. It was a last resort because O wasn't falling asleep until between midnight and 1am most nights.

We decided to let him self-soothe, and after a couple of weeks we were able to get him asleep by 8:30. He became a better rested, happier baby. (The lack of sleep wasn't good for any of us.)

As far as middle of the night goes, he often wakes up about the time I get home from work (1am). We usually just do one 10 minute interval, and if he's not asleep by the end of that it's because he's hungry, so we get him up and feed him, then put him back down.

If his crying lasts about 30 minutes ever, we always get him up and see if he's hungry/wet/whatever before trying again.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• My kid is *gasp* happier now that he can put himself to sleep and stay asleep thanks to Ferber.

FFS, he was pissed, not sad, that I wouldn't come into his room. He was kicking his feet and throwing a baby temper tantrum. Now that he's getting 11+ hours of sleep every night and at least 2 good naps every day, he's no longer overtired and cranky from waking up in the middle of the night and relying on me to put him back to sleep. 

• imagejcole32444:
    I am going to go cry now because my baby will not cuddle with me in the middle of the night. The last time he cuddled with me was months ago! Maybe 4 months ago. he is Mr. Independant at night and sleeping through.

lucky.

• imageBrittRMere:
    imageQuesera:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

We tried a ton of different approaches before we tried CIO. Obviously, I hate listening to my child cry, so it wasn't the first thing we did. It was a last resort because O wasn't falling asleep until between midnight and 1am most nights.

We decided to let him self-soothe, and after a couple of weeks we were able to get him asleep by 8:30. He became a better rested, happier baby. (The lack of sleep wasn't good for any of us.)

As far as middle of the night goes, he often wakes up about the time I get home from work (1am). We usually just do one 10 minute interval, and if he's not asleep by the end of that it's because he's hungry, so we get him up and feed him, then put him back down.

If his crying lasts about 30 minutes ever, we always get him up and see if he's hungry/wet/whatever before trying again.

I have a very happy baby so I guess I don't feel the need to force the issue at this point. I obviously could use more sleep but I truly feel that at this point, rather than teach her to 'self soothe' I would be teaching her to get used to being without me and I'm in no hurry to force independence on my baby. I'm not totally opposed to CIO in some instances, like if I was going to have another baby soon I would be more concerned.
  • imageQuesera:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imageQuesera:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imageCupcakeKaper:
    imageBrittRMere:

imageRandomPickle:

I have a very happy baby so I guess I don't feel the need to force the issue at this point. I obviously could use more sleep but I truly feel that at this point, rather than teach her to 'self soothe' I would be teaching her to get used to being without me and I'm in no hurry to force independence on my baby. I'm not totally opposed to CIO in some instances, like if I was going to have another baby soon I would be more concerned.

That's wonderful (seriously) that you don't need to CIO. A big concern of ours was the Owen wasn't getting enough sleep, and it was affecting the way he felt during the day. Also, my husband goes to school full-time and I work full-time, so we needed to enforce some sort of schedule in order to keep our family sane.

It's just what works for us, and it sucks when people judge your parenting. We've all been there, and know how crappy it feels. That's why I responded to this post originally. It's not like anyone who does CIO loves/ enjoys their baby any less than someone who doesn't.

Pregnancy Ticker 

• Holy long quote. Sorry. haha
    Pregnancy Ticker 

• Agree 100%. DS is still getting up multiple times per night, we've gone through phases where he'd be up a minimum of 6.  At 8 months old I know he has no need to wake up THAT much, especially wanting to eat every time.  It can be very frustrating and I won't always give him what he wants, but I could never just ignore him (and I am not saying parents who have a CIO method are just choosing to ignore their child. I realize things like Ferber are not what that is.)

I'm a little "stricter" when it's time to go down for naps and time to go down for bedtime, but when he wakes up in the middle of the night, in the dark, I can't imagine what would go through his head if I just didn't come. Especially now that he's used to it. Still workin' on it...

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • imageBrittRMere:
    imagevlewis84:

This is too funny.

Dead.

Wow... gotta love when betches bring kids into the mix. Slow clap for you guys, no really congrats for choosing the high road. Confused

• imagemeaganjoelle1:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imagevlewis84:

This is too funny.

Dead.

Wow... gotta love when betches bring kids into the mix. Slow clap for you guys, no really congrats for choosing the high road. Confused

Say what now?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecitychicks:
    imagemeaganjoelle1:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imagevlewis84:

This is too funny.

Dead.

Say what now?

Yeah, I'm confused. I thought it was just a random joke. Does someone's kid in this thread have a money name?

Pregnancy Ticker 

• imagemisskristina21:

I can't let DD CIO. I'm too weak, I would rather go in there and snuggle with her in the rocking chair than let her scream for however long it took her to fall asleep.

I did judge the girl I went to high school with when she posted on FB that she was letting her 6 week old CIO. If you wanna let your baby CIO, that's fine, but at 6 weeks? Really?

uhh we started Ferber at 8 weeks... she pretty much STTN anyway but on nights she fought it we did Ferber.  5,10,15 minute intervals of CIO... she is still alive and happy as a lark.

• imageLoppy19:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imagecitychicks:
    imagemeaganjoelle1:
    imageBrittRMere:
    imagevlewis84:

This is too funny.

Dead.

Say what now?

Yeah, I'm confused. I thought it was just a random joke. Does someone's kid in this thread have a money name?

Yes, Pickle's son.

Ah, k. Sorry. I'm on the comp at work and can't see anyone's tickers or anything.

Pregnancy Ticker 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"