Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

OMG, the climbing!

He climbs E V E R Y T H I N G!!! DS is currently on my kitchen table playing with my blinds (I put the cords up) after he ripped off our window grates. He climbs my built in book cases, radiator covers, chairs, gates, playpen (He fell out the other day)...He will not be redirected and goes right back to it when I leave him for a second.

Part of me says just let him do it and he will get bored but the safety concerns are making me a nervous wreck.

Advise please. Everything I've read is NOT encouraging or helpful.

TIA

Re: OMG, the climbing!

• Options

Make sure all furniture is anchored to the wall and grow eyes in the back of your head.

Mine is getting there.  He's not getting up on things yet, but he's fallen 3 times this weekend trying to. 

Bianca image.
  • Options
    MY DD is going through the same thing right now. I thought climbing came after walking, she isn't walking on her own yet.  Still holding my hand.  But she climbed into her own chair and used that to climb onto the coffee table.  Lots of climbing,its awful!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Mine is a climber too. She was on the kitchen counter earlier (still have no idea how she managed it - I think she used the knobs as steps..).

We don't have any bookshelves or anything in rooms that she plays in (just the spare room that she's never in and our bedroom), so I don't have to worry about that, but I hear ya, it's exhausting!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • Options
    I let him climb with assistance.  I think it took a few weeks for him to get it out of his system and then the novelty wore off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have a climber too. A few days ago I turned away for 5 seconds and he made it all the way on top of the kitchen table. Next thing I knew he was scooting the chair across the room and trying to get up on the cabinets.

I try to take him to the play ground everyday and let him climb, There is the part not as hard as a rockwall, but still a wall made for climbing with indentions and handles. It's for bigger kids, and completely perpendicular to the ground, but he still makes it to the top (with me standing right behind him with my hands ready to catch him). I try and wear him out before it's time for me to cook to make things easier on myself.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I feel your pain. DD is a climber too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"