April 2012 Moms

9/11: Where were you?

I'm watching the beautiful 9/11 memorial service right now. Where were you 10 years ago when it happened?

Emerson Kate born 4/6/12, 5 lbs. 13 oz. 18 3/4 inches.

Happily expecting Baby Mac #2 around 4/13/14

Re: 9/11: Where were you?

• ?10 years ago I was a sophomore at Central Michigan University, walking to my 9 a.m. class. A group of students were huddled around a television in Anspach hall, watching the chaos unfold. Classes were cancelled and I went back to my dorm to watch the second plane hit the towers with my roommates. I will never forget that day or that feeling. LET FREEDOM RING!

• I was a sophomore at University of Alabama at Birmingham, in a statistics lab in the basement.  It was one of those once a week marathon classes.  Because it was in the basement, there was no cell service.  By the time I came upstairs onto the street, most everything had happened.  There was national guard on every street corner. Because UAB is a HUGE research hospital and Birmingham is a major telecommunications hub for 9 states, they were concerned about additional attacks, and were ushering people off the streets.

I had 75 missed calls and the 2nd tower fell right when I got to a tv. I spent the rest of the day at home with my family watching tv.

Now, being hormonal and pregnant, I don't think I can watch much of the 9/11 anniversary coverage.  Its overwhelming.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • I was sitting in AP United States History my sophomore year of high school when a teacher came in and told us to put the TV on. It was in Bio the next class period that I saw the second plane hit the other tower. Those are images and emotions that I will never forget. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was working at a daycare center.  Our supervisor ran outside and said she heard on the radio there had been a terrorist attack on New York City. 

DH and I were still dating at the time and I remember frantically trying to reach him all day but cell towers were overloaded and calls wouldn't go through.  He lived in Maine but wasn't sure if he had been in Boston that day (and I was fearing that Boston could be a target as it's a major city).  I didn't reach him until 5 pm.

• I was at work in Manhattan, several blocks away.  RIP to all the beautiful souls lost that day.
  • I was a junior in college. The summer of 2001, I had a teaching internship in NYC. I would run on the Brooklyn Promanade most mornings, which faces lower Manhattan an, thus the World Trade Center buildings. I remember staring out that way on my runs.

There was a shopping Mall in the basement of one of the buildings, my friends and I went shopping there several times, I can remember so clearly walking around the buildings and having to stretch my neck all the way back to see the top.

I flew home out of JFK on Aug 11, 2001.

So, when it happened, even though I wasn't in NYC at the time, it was all very real to me. Watching the coverage on TV was surreal.

My college boyfriend was from Long Island and was supposed to leave to drive back home the morning of Sept 11- My Mom called and asked me if he had left yet, I said "No". She said"Well, he's not leaving today."

I can't watch any of the tribute shows and all that. I just can't . I still think about it as it is.

pregnancy due date Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I was in my high school art class when they turned on the TV. I'm finding it so very hard and emotional to watch the news coverage this morning but at the same time I can't turn it off.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was on my way to work when traffic came to a stand still as I was approaching downtown (in a suburb of detroit) and news came on that a plane had hit the WTC.  No one knew what was going on and it sounded like an accident.  I parked and ran into my office to tell everyone, but htey were already in my boss's office watching is B&W TV.  We all saw the 2nd plane hit and stayed there for the next couple hours watching the coverage.  I had just been at the WTC 6 mos earlier and thought there was no way those towers were going to fall.  the infrastructure there was amazing.  I was horrified to see them both fall later. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I remember it like yesterday....I was pregnant w/DD and was getting ready for my doctor appointment to go remove my cerclage (I was about 36 weeks).  I had the TV on and remember seeing the video of the 1st plane hitting the WTC and was in shock and wondering what kind of horrible accident happened....then the 2nd tower was hit and knew something very bad was going on.  I left and remember watching all the horror and tragedy in the dr's lobby on TV and was just very very sad for all the lives lost and lives affected by this.
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • I was in my second year of college and had just walked into my math class (8am central time) and people were talking about the first plane hitting.  Nobody knew it was a terrorist attack at that time.  After class, everyone went into the student lounge to see what was going on.  Very scary day.
  • I was in 10th grade sitting in spanish class. I remember my teacher running down the hall because her husband was working out of state near the trade centers and was terrified. I remember 3 days prior getting a car for my 16 birthday and gas prices shooting up. We had bomb threats days after the attacks.
  • I was a freshman in college on my way to class. Going through the campus center and all the TVs were on with people crowded around them when the first tower was burning. I made it back to my dorm to watch the second plane hit.

One of my friends was from NYC, her mother worked at a school blocks away from ground zero. Everyone on our floor spent hours trying to get through to check if her family was ok. Happy to report they all made it out of the city safe. So many weren't as lucky. What a terrible day.

We remember.

• I was a sophomore in college, was on a class break and this girl casually said "did you hear another plane crashed into the Pentagon?"  I didn't even know anything happened.  We got back to class and our teacher was a wreck.  Classes were cancelled the rest of the day and everyone was in the quad reading the special edition newspaper that had just been printed.  

My mom was working for Lockheed Martin at the time, and growing up we were always told that if there was an attack on the US, it would be a target.  It was a scary time when I couldn't get a hold of her.  Thankfully, they weren't affected.  

I remember going to the city in November '11, going down to ground zero.  They were still putting out fires.  It was heartbreaking. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was in my freshman HS english class. We turned it on after the first plan hit, and we all thought it was an accident. Then the second plane hit...and our world changed forever.

Im not sure which was worse. Being a kid and coming to age in this post 9/11 world, or being an adult and being affected by the all the changes even more since you knew what it was like pre 9/11.

My "Irish twins" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

pPROM at 27 weeks, Birdy born at 28 weeks at 2lb 7oz.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I was getting ready for work when the first plane hit. My mother & I didn't know the severity of the situation & thought it could possibly be an accident, so I left the house to go to work. I lived in Brooklyn, NY at the time & worked in brooklyn as well. My work commute was short, but that day it felt long. Debri had already began falling & once I got off the bus I noticed that the debri consisted of business cards, papers & other things from the WTC. I watched the buildings collapse from the small tv we had at work. It was surreal. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagewestrose:
    I was sitting in AP United States History my sophomore year of high school when a teacher came in and told us to put the TV on. It was in Bio the next class period that I saw the second plane hit the other tower. Those are images and emotions that I will never forget. 

Me too... all of this except Bio.  Weird. 

• I was a senior in college. I actually went in that day to realize the school was closed. I then went to get my oil changed at our families mechanic. The station was owned by two brothers, Norman and George. This was around 10:30. George told me that Norman's 28 year old son was not accounted for yet. He was on one of the planes that flew into the building. His wife later found out she was pregnant with their first child. So sad!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I was at work and it was on the radio, but I didn't realize what was going on at the time really. My parents were downtown san diego for their wedding anniversary, they go every year, and I was watching my little bro& sis. My parents kept calling me asking whats going on, they were trying to go on a boat ride and were told everything had been shut down, I guess they were worried we would be a target too. That was the 1st my parents were hearing about it, and it started to scare me. I can still see the pics in my head and remember that feeling. My heart goes out to anyone who suffered a loss.
     BabyFetus Ticker 
                Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was a senior in high school. I was getting ready for school and my dad called me into his room. We watched the coverage of the event and we then saw the second plane crash into the south tower.

On my way to HS, I was listening to the coverage on the radio. That was then I was informed that the pentagon was hit also.

My only teacher that let us watch the news during school was my government teacher. We had to do school work in every other class :(

imageimageimage
  • Senior in college, eating breakfast with a roommate before our 9:30 class.
  • I was a senior in high school and when I first showed up to school that day, I met my friends in our usual morning spot before classes and they were talking about what happened.  I live in California, so by the time I went to school, everything had already happened, but I didn't know since I didn't watch TV before school! My friends had to fill me in and I remember being so shocked! For the rest of the day, all my classes had the TV on the news and we didn't do anything but watch the news. 
  • Wow this is really going to show my age. 10 years ago I was 10. I was living in CA at the time so it was around 6am when the planes began to hit. So I was asleep. Very uneventful. But I do remember waking up because my parents were talking really loud in the living room about planes. So I got up and asked what was going on. Being 10 years old kinda made it a little less REAL for me. Sounds terrible I know.

My heart goes out to all those who lost someone that day. 

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelauranicole91:

Wow this is really going to show my age. 10 years ago I was 10. I was living in CA at the time so it was around 6am when the planes began to hit. So I was asleep. Very uneventful. But I do remember waking up because my parents were talking really loud in the living room about planes. So I got up and asked what was going on. Being 10 years old kinda made it a little less REAL for me. Sounds terrible I know.

My heart goes out to all those who lost someone that day. 

I'm just about there with you. I was in 7th grade and didn't learn about it until I got to school. In my first class the teacher turned on the TV and I remember thinking it was an accident, that it wasn't really a terrorist attack, because how could anyone do that on purpose? It took me that whole day to come to terms with what had really happened. 

My thoughts will be with those we lost, and those who gave everything to help others.

• I was working in Boston in the John Hancock Tower. We were listening to Howard Stern on the radio when the first plane hit. At first we didn't think it was real and it was part of his skit. It got really scary fast since we were in the tallest building in the city they thought we might be a target.

They evacuated the building really fast but we couldn't go anywhere because all the trains cancelled.  There were armed guards everywhere and the city was chaotic. We finally got home and I was glued to the television all day. It was so sad and a feeling I will never remember.

The days to follow were the saddest. Every time we would call our brokers/traders to clear our trades the lines were out of service. So many in the financial industry didn't make it and entire companies passed. It was so sad and I still remember it like it was yesterday. 

Kellen 4.27.12 Miller 6.30.13 Baby #3 edd 9.7.15
  • I was a senior in college.  I was getting ready to go meet with the biggest jerk of a professor in the entire math department.  He thought myself and a couple girls cheated on our homework, even after he said it was fine if we "worked together".  I walked to campus and was listening to the radio on my walk the when I heard about the first plane that hit.  When I got to his office he didn't even care that this was happening to our country.  By the time he was done accusing me of cheating, (which we didn't we just worked together, there is a major difference) the 2nd plane had hit and I was in the student activities office.  That's where I saw the towers fall, shortly after the campus was closed and I headed back to the sorority house.

My heart still goes out to all the family and friends of all the heroes of that day!!

Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was in my third year of university and, living on the west coast, was still in bed when it all happened. My roommate had an early class that day and had gone to the campus only to hear the news there, have her class canceled, and return home. She woke me up with the news and we sat in the living room with our eyes glued to the tv for the rest of the day.
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • I was a freshmen in high school and was getting ready to go to school (west coast). My Mom was watching the news and crying and asked me to come out and watch with her.  Right when I walked out and looked at the TV the second plane hit.  I didn't know what to think.  It was a long school day of just sitting in each class and watching TV.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was in 8th grade English class. Another teacher from across the hall ran in crying telling our teacher to turn on the TV. We watched the 2nd plane hit. It was the most terrifying experience of my life. Our school went into lock down and we all sat in the hall and watched the tragedy unfold. My mom came and got me from school early and we watched the coverage until we all fell asleep on the couch. School the next day was cancelled for us.

I'll never forget, and all of the coverage now is flooding back memories. I hope all of our babies never have to experience something that tragic. 

• I was just waking up and received a call from my HS German teacher. She wanted to know if I had made it home from Brasil. I had arrived home only hours before and was trying to get back onto PST. I was supposed to be on one of the planes that crashed, headed to visit my god parents before heading home, but my mom realized that our community college started earlier then though so my plans were changed to head back early so I could get back into the swing of things before school started. I was in running start and only took German at the high school. God protected me that day and made my mom make a hard, unpopular (at the time, in my mind) decision, and bring me home a day early. I'm lucky to be a mom and wife because if I had followed my plans I would not be here today.
  • On September 10th I moved from Philly to the NJ/NYC area to start my new job (that I'm still at). I didn't know a soul in North Jersey. The morning of the 11th, a colleague came into my office and said he heard on the radio that a plane crashed into the WTC. The Internet was down so we all crowded around someone's radio. My colleague knew that I was away from my family and friends and brought myself and another colleague to his apartment so that I wouldn't be alone. To this day, they are my 2 closest friends at work.

Meanwhile, my boyfriend at the time was in training for the Secret Service in DC. All he knew is that I was near NYC, but didn't know where. We were so relieved when we got a hold of each other.

Flash forward 10 years, I now have a husband, a nice circle of friends and live in the town that lost the most people per capita on 9/11. Three members of my wedding party worked in the towers but either weren't there that day or got out. I can't imagine my life without them. DH lost a few friends and acquaintances. I feel much more connected to the events now than I did 10 years ago.

• I was also a sophomore in college.

When my alarm went off that morning (west coast) the dj was talking about it and even though I was half-asleep I knew things sounded bad.  I got up and turned on the TV.

Most of my classes were cancelled that day.   It was sad and surreal to watch all of the news coverage.  Definitely an unforgettable day.

• Wow, I feel young. :-(. I was in 7th grade Health class. We were watching a movie, and when it got done and the TV came back on, it was showing that the first plane had just hit the tower. I was so confused. Being young and naive, I thought some pilot accidently hit the tower. It never crossed my mind at first that it was a terrorist attack. I remember our teacher keeping it on and then the principal came on the intercom and told everyone what was happening, and we had to turn the TV's off. I think they were trying to "protect" us from seeing that, since we were so young...but we still knew what was going on. Then we were told the second plane had hit. I remember just being so confused as to what was going on. :-(  I pray for everyone who lost someone from those attacks.
  • imagemertense:
    I was just waking up and received a call from my HS German teacher. She wanted to know if I had made it home from Brasil. I had arrived home only hours before and was trying to get back onto PST. I was supposed to be on one of the planes that crashed, headed to visit my god parents before heading home, but my mom realized that our community college started earlier then though so my plans were changed to head back early so I could get back into the swing of things before school started. I was in running start and only took German at the high school. God protected me that day and made my mom make a hard, unpopular (at the time, in my mind) decision, and bring me home a day early. I'm lucky to be a mom and wife because if I had followed my plans I would not be here today.

Oh my gosh. I cannot believe how you must feel watching that footage. Thank God you didn't get on that flight.

• I was in vertebrate zoology lab and a sophomore? in college.  I was gloved and dissecting a giant carp. I remember exactly what I was wearing. It was against lab policies. A classmate came rushing in late and said, "I don't know if it's a joke but they just said on the radio that a plane flew into the wtc."

I honestly thought it was a hoax. Like in the 50s with Orson Wells and the aliens. Had to be. Our professor excused himself but came back in a few minutes. It was a small lab. Maybe five of us. He asked us all to come with him. We watched the second plane hit and the first building collapse on a b/w screen, maybe 9 inches. I still thought it had to be fake. A joke. Had to be. He excused us from the rest of lab.

Classes weren't cancelled. They left it to the instructors  descretion. i had classes scattered throughout the day so I just wandered from building to building. My last class wasn't cancelled. All the tvs in the halls had it on. "America under attack" on the bottom of the screen. There were students around but I just remember how quiet it was.  So quiet. It was like everybody was dazed.

My mom was a mess. Trying to plan our moves if we were actually at war.  Like escaping. She was fielding all these phone calls from relatives in Italy and France, but couldn't get through to her brother in Yonkers. She still wants me to use my European Union passport as thought that would make me less of a target. She makes sure I keep it up to date in case we have to leave. It's strange, but illustrates how the attacks took away a healthy measure of security in our own home.

It was surreal.
  • I was teaching 5th graders, and alternately trying to reach my mom who worked on a military base halfway across the state (Texas, pretty big).  No one quite knew what was happening, but she was on base and I wanted to make sure she was okay.  Never said anything to the kids until the next day.  It was a rough week.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• I'm really late posting this, but I thought I should anyways because I thought about it all day.

I was an 8th grader attending Summit Middle School in Edmond, OK. I remember walking down the hall from my first period drama class to my second period keyboarding class. I could see the TV screen in my keyboarding class while I was still a little ways down the hall. At first, I thought they were filming a mountain.  All I could see was black. People in the hallway were crying and talking about people dying. I was so confused. Then the camera pulled away and I saw the twin towers. Both of the planes had already hit - I remember my teacher saying that they had just watched the second plane hit a few minutes before. We didn't do any assignments that day--just watched. Seeing people jumping from the buildings was probably my most horrific memory-that and watching the towers fall.

And everything was eerily quiet that day--even in Oklahoma. That freaked me out too. I remember the that Five for Fighting song playing when my mom picked me up from school, "I can't stand to fly, I'm not that naivee, men weren't meant to ride with clouds beneath their feet..." Everytime I hear that song I can't help but think of that day. 

Son 4/27/12, Son 10/15/14, Daughter 9/29/16....Baby #4 due 10/09/19!  Apparently we get really bored in January ;)
  • I was a senior in high school. I remember I was walking to my second class and I overheard somebody say something about a plane crash. I expected it to be a small plane, like a cesna. When I got to my second class (Sociology), our teacher had it on TV. We just sat there in total shock watching it all unfold. We had a student teacher at the time who kept trying to mute the TV so she could continue reviewing for an upcoming test. She definitely didn't have anybody's attention. A boy who sat behind me was really scared because his sister was an intern at the Pentagon. The teacher let him call his family and confirmed that his sister was ok. It was a very scary day that I will never forget.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"