Babies on the Brain

Calling all teachers (kind of long)

I recently decided I want to go back to school to get my teaching credential. I have been accepted to two programs but there are a few things holding me back.

The first program is at a college that is mainly for working adults. It's one night a week for 12-14 months and will cost around $20,000 which I will need to take out in loans.

The second program is a university which would require me to quit my job and go full time. It would cost about $8,000 and be three quarters, about 9 months. I would still need to take out a loan for the full amount.

My major concern is money. I already have a large amount in student loans for my bachelors and would like to not nearly double it with the first program, but I am scared to quit my job. We need the money and I carry all of our insurance.

My other major concern is that if I quit my job and then I am unable to get a teaching job in this economy. So, basically I'd like any advice from teachers on if it's a wise decions and maybe which course you'd go?

TIA!

Re: Calling all teachers (kind of long)

• I'm not a teacher, but I think you'd be insane to quit your job if you are the one with the benefits. 

Do they need teachers in your area?  I know some areas are worse than others, but it seems like teachers are getting laid off left and right in a lot of places.  Not sure I'd drop 20k to go into a field that really isn't hiring right now. 

DS1 5/2010, DS2 11/2012
  • There would be other ways to get benefits. My husband can get them at his work, I can through the school, and Lincoln could get Healthy Children through the state.

But this is the kind of advice I need. Thank you. I need to know if it's too risky. I know in my district( I currently work in the district) no one is getting laid off and they just hired 5 new teachers for the year, but money is very tight and they threaten lay offs all the time.

• Loading the player...
  • I recieved my bachelor's degree in a field other than education.  After not being able to find a job in that field, I went back to school (MORE loans) and got certified to become a teacher. I waitressed during this time because so that I could make money while student teaching.  However, I was not married or with kids at that point.  It took me a little over 2 years to get my teaching certificate because I could only take a couple classes at a time since I was my own source of income. 

Currently, I am a teacher within a large district in Ohio. Hiring is off and on. It seems as if most teachers start at charter schools, online schools, etc before they make it into an actual public of private district.  I will admit, though, being a teacher is a great job for a mom...the hours, the summers and holidays off, and the benefits are great, too.

I would ask around since you already have a foot in the door in your district, see what the job outlook is for them. Also, do they offer fee waivers that you could use to take classes?  Just a thought. Good Luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not a teacher, but I recently went back to school for nursing.

Something to consider for the financial aspects. How much do you need the money from your job? If it's just a little, you can get extra loans to cover it, but if it is a lot, you may end up losing a lot by quitting and going to school full-time. Run the numbers. See how much it would really cost to go full-time or part-time.

Baby #1 edd 4/21/07 - Matthias James born 5/2/07, 9 lbs, 22 in

Baby # 2 edd 11/26/08 - Ezra Jacob born 11/29/08, 9 lbs 6 oz., 21 3/4 in

Baby #3 edd 05/04/13 - Titus Jude born 05/01/13, 9 lb 5 oz. 21.5 in

• Honestly, I wouldn't do it right now. At least where I am, there's a huge influx of new teachers and no jobs for the teachers we already have. 

However, if you're interested in Special Education, Speech Pathology, or ELL, there will probably be jobs for you when you graduate.

Only you know whether or not you can afford it. I would try to live without your salary for a while. If you already have student loans, go with the faster & cheaper option if you can survive. I had health insurance through my school, so you should look into that option.

• Have you looked into The New Teacher Project? I don't know where in CA you are, but I know they have programs there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am a teacher, got my cert as an undergrad and went on to get my Masters in teaching Biology. Quitting your job is prob not a great idea esp if it is in district. You will have to go into classrooms and do observations for courses and eventually do student teaching [which you will have to be in a school all day for a semester] so having a school district that you can easily do that in will be helpful.

Is the 12-14 month one going to give you a Masters degree in Education with Cert? Really if you are thinking of spending that much find a program with will give you a Masters at the same time as the certification. So you start at the Masters level for pay and many public schools in my area require you get your Masters within 5 years of teaching in the district anyway.

Also the less time you spend in "class" the more work you have outside of class and no matter which way you cut it, it's going to be a lot of work. When I was working on my Masters I had 2 kids [6months old and 2 1/2 when I started and my program was 2 years long] I was not working at the time and my husband used to take kids hiking or outside for hours or I would hide in our room and do work once he got home. It was not easy and if I was working I would have seem my kids very little. My cohort started with 20, 3 of us graduated on time because many of the people realized they could not keep up with the work of 2-3 classes and working.

In terms of loans they are just a part of the deal. Unless you go fulltime and get a TA position you will be stuck with them :( 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLe Olive:

Honestly, I wouldn't do it right now. At least where I am, there's a huge influx of new teachers and no jobs for the teachers we already have. 

However, if you're interested in Special Education, Speech Pathology, or ELL, there will probably be jobs for you when you graduate.

Only you know whether or not you can afford it. I would try to live without your salary for a while. If you already have student loans, go with the faster & cheaper option if you can survive. I had health insurance through my school, so you should look into that option.

This. I graduated a year ago with a degree in English Education. Not trying to brag, but I had an amazing GPA and scored 2 points from perfect on the English praxis. I thought I was a shoo-in for a job. I applied for over 100 and got two calls, both for long term subs. In fact, not one person in my graduating class got a full time position their first year out if school. I couldn't afford to sub, and I now work in insurance. It was devastating for me, and still is. My heart really is in teaching, but there is NOTHING in this area. I would just have a really solid idea of what the market looks like in your area first. I don't mean to discourage you at all, just trying to be honest.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I highly recommend that you do not quit your job. Does your district offer any type of reimbursement or incentive that you can use the help pay for this?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemrsjengle:
    I highly recommend that you do not quit your job. Does your district offer any type of reimbursement or incentive that you can use the help pay for this?

The reimbursements tend not to be very good but better than nothing [like everyone taking classes in the district puts in how much it cost then they take how ever much $ the district set aside and split it, so everyone gets some money back. Or some will do lotteries for who gets some money. Rarely do you get much from the district] and you would have to be in the teachers union or under a union contract to get them. If you get your Masters you will start and continue making more money that if you just have your bachelors.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am wondering if you could go Lateral Entry?  For instance if you were interested in high school and have a degree in math or science (always hiring it seems) then you could work as a teacher while completing your degree.  Not sure if there is such a thing as this where you are but here in North Carolina it is very common.  I also don't know what type of degree would be necessary for you to go lateral entry for elementary ed but those jobs are much harder to come by.

Just a thought.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"