3rd Trimester
Options

Being induced

I am scheduled to be induced ths Friday. My doc has been asking me when I want to be induced and the farthest they will let me go is until friday. She is trying to avoid possibly avoid health issues to me ask well ask my son. I'm over due but my daughters came on their own and I'm nervous about being induced. If uhave been induced could u please share ur experience doc has explained the process but I would like to hear about the receiving side.Thank you.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Being induced

• Options
    Your doctor isn't "letting" you do anything. It's your body and it's your choice. If you're uncomfortable with an induction then don't do it. 
    image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Options
    I was induced at 41 weeks with DD#1.  I was admitted the night before and was given Cervidale.  It caused me to go into labor overnight and I never needed pitocin.  I was at 4 cm at 7 am and 10 cm by 9 am.  My DD was born via csection due to her heart rate dropping around 10 am.  Most cases I know it takes about 10 hours from the time pitocin is given until the baby arrives.  I have also heard from a lot of people that being induced was more painful than going on their own.  If you don't want to be induced then I would tell your dr.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJason'swife:
    Your doctor isn't "letting" you do anything. It's your body and it's your choice. If you're uncomfortable with an induction then don't do it. 

Well, she HAS to be induced eventually. Anything passed 42 weeks is dangerous to the baby and your placenta starts to get old and fragile. They did away with that in the 60s I believe.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker    
  • Options

imagemama31:
    I was induced at 41 weeks with DD#1.  I was admitted the night before and was given Cervidale.  It caused me to go into labor overnight and I never needed pitocin.  I was at 4 cm at 7 am and 10 cm by 9 am.  My DD was born via csection due to her heart rate dropping around 10 am.  Most cases I know it takes about 10 hours from the time pitocin is given until the baby arrives.  I have also heard from a lot of people that being induced was more painful than going on their own.  If you don't want to be induced then I would tell your dr.

What is Cervidale? 

• Options

imageNickaDee07:

Well, she HAS to be induced eventually. Anything passed 42 weeks is dangerous to the baby and your placenta starts to get old and fragile. They did away with that in the 60s I believe.  

Sigh.

• Options
    imageFutureRitchie:

imagemama31:

What is Cervidale? 

Sorry.  It is cervidil.  It is given to soften the cervix and start contractions. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageNickaDee07:

imageJason'swife:

Not true.  I was born in 1987 and I was 24 days late...yes I know that's an extraordinary case, but I would hope they wouldn't do that anymore.  Like you said it seems really unsafe.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageNickaDee07:

imageJason'swife:

Wrong.   Inductions are not law.  It is her choice even if she goes to 42 weeks.

Statistically the risks are slightly elevated after you go past 42 weeks, but that doesn't mean that your placenta starts to break down 2 seconds after midnight on your 42 week.    We are all individuals and our bodies are all different.  Some peoples placentas break down at 39 weeks, while others can go till 43 or even 44 weeks.   Also, in many cases people who go past 42 weeks were just plain off on their dates.  They don't call it an ESTIMATED due date for no reason.  Our bodies do not follow the modern calendar. 

I had my beautiful baby girl at 43 weeks and my MW said my placenta was perfect.  I was being monitored and there was no reason to even consider an induction.  The hardest part of the whole experience was the ignorance and negativity about letting my daughter come when she was ready. 

OP- Don't have an induction because your Dr. tell you to.  Do your research and do what makes you most comfortable.  Inductions for date reasons before 42 weeks are based on common practice and not evidence based medicine.  

GL with YOUR decision.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

I guess my first thought is why Friday and not Monday?  What if you call in Friday morning and the hospital is full, will they have you call Saturday and see if space has opened up?  Have you gone in for non stress tests as well as ultrasounds checking the fluid levels and placental age?  On Friday how many weeks will you be?  I don't know your medical history, if I did it wouldn't matter as I am not a medical professional but I do hear you saying you are nervous and need more info. 

When a test, treatment, or intervention is recommended, learn how it works, and then ask:

? Benefits: What is the problem we are trying to prevent or to fix? Will this procedure fix the problem? If not, what would we do next? ? Risks: What are possible risks or side effects? ? Alternatives: What are the possible alternatives? What would happen if we did nothing? ? Timing: Is the situation urgent, or is it possible to wait?  Often when an induction is happening Pitocin is administered.  The dosage is increased in so many minute incriments per your Dr.'s orders.  Along with Pitocin comes being hooked to an IV and continuous monitoring.  This does limit mobility and sometimes usage of shower and tub for comfort.  Something you can request is that when you get into a good labor, contraction pattern the Pitocin be shut off and allow your body to take over.  Worse case scenerio is your contractions peter out.  In that event they can start it back up but chances are if you get up and moving and working with your body you will do just fine and your body take over. Best wishes to you,  I hope you get the answers you need and are able to make choices based on what you are comfortable with.  And go into labor on your own tonight
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing. I.m doing my research but I wanted to hear from someone who experienced it for themself.
  • Options

Ok now that you've gotten all the don't do it just b/c posts...on to your actual question.

I was induced with first at 42 weeks. We went in started the pit drip and the checking. Yes the contractions were very stron, but it's labor and they are going to be strong. They monitored me very well and baby was doing great. After 8 hours I requested the epidural and once it was placed I was able to nap and relax and enjoy the next few hours. Mine did not totally work, but took the edge off and was a great relief. My DD was born 8 hours after the epi, it was a total of 16 hours of labor beginning to end and once I became 10 CM it was very quick. I did not have any difficulties due to the induction. My DD had a BM that became evident when they broke my water at 8CM and decided to deliver hin in the OR just incase, after water broke I went pretty much instantly to 10CM cause by the time they got the room ready she was crowning as they wheeled me out the door to OR.

I was induced at 40 on my due date with DD#2 to avoid going over due with my heart condition. Pretty much same deal, was started and monitored very well, baby did great, contractions were strong but this time I was smart and got epi as soon as I hit 4CM. SSSOOOO relaxed. My daughters birth was a bit difficult but again not due to induction, on the contrary we would have been in bigger trouble in the end if they had not induced. My water had begun to slowly leak two weeks before, but no one believed me until they went to break my water and there was none, she had a dry birth that would have been very complicated down the line. My DD was born 18 hours after contractions began.

Although induction can take a while, so can birth naturally, if the doc has his/her reasons for asking you to be induced, sure find out specifically his reasons if you are not already aware and remember it may be in the best interest of yourself or your little one. Best of luck and don't worry, all the horror stories about induction aren't the normal outcome or it wouldn't be such a widely used practice.

Mine was normal and uneventful and baby and I came out great. Again GL

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageNickaDee07:

imageJason'swife:

Wrong.  I was born four weeks past my EDD in 1975. DH was born 18 days past his EDD in 1979.  Both of us were born vaginally with no complications.  I was induced because I went past my EDD (41+ weeks), and surprise surprise, labor was hell and I ended up with an emergency c/s.  If I'd had my wits about me I'd have demanded NSTs until DD showed up on her own unless my OBs detected an actual medical need to induce, because clearly late babies run in my family and our bodies and babies know what they're doing.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options

I was induced at 40 weeks 5 days with DD.  My doctor was very pro-induction and offered to induce me at 39 weeks!  I did NOT want to be induced at all but that's the way it went.  Here's my experience:

7:00pm sunday night I was admitted.  They started me on cytotec or cervadil or some kind of medicine.  They were basically tablets that they inserted vaginally and dissolve and are supposed to get your labor started.  They gave me 3 doses, 1 every 4 hours.  I couldn't get out of bed for the first two hours (but of course needed to pee the entire time).  And basically I was up all night.  That did nothing. 

Morning rolled around and they sent me to walk around for awhile and gave me "my last meal" around 8 am.  If you are in this position, EAT and eat a lot.  This whole ordeal took SOOO long and I was absolutely STARVING by the time I had to push. 

Around 9 or 10am is when I became tethered to the bed.  This was probably the worst part.  After this, I wasn't allowed to get out of bed until after I had given birth.  That was really, really tough. They started an IV for fluids, gave me a catheder, broke my water and started me on pitocin, all in about an hours time.  I was also hooked up to a bunch of monitors for me and baby. 

I got an epidural shortly after they put me on the pitocin and broke my water.  Since I couldn't walk around or do anything really to alleviate the pain from contractions, I figured why suffer longer than I had to.  I was probably only 4 cm dilated when I got the epidural.  And then I didn't feel a thing for a very long time. 

I ended up delivering just after 11:00pm on Monday.  I didn't feel a thing during the delivery.  I could barely tell that I was pushing.  

I wouldn't say it was terrible experience.  It was just really long (28 hours) and exhausting and I was starving.  I got the epidural so early that I didn't suffer through the pitocin contractions that many people complain about.  But really, once your baby is in your arms, it all seems worth it.  GL! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was induced with my son as 40w 3d and the delivery was shorter and easier than my delivery with my daughter whom I went into labor on my own with at 39w.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Brayden (5 1/2) born 12.28.06
    Hailey (4 1/2) born 2.25.08
    Taylor (8 Months) born 12.26.11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I was induced with both DS and DD.

I LOVED my inductions. I was already dilated to a 2-3 with both so I was given pitocin. They broke my water with my first when I was around a 4 because his heart rate dropped and broke my water with my DD when I was at a 5.  Contractions got much harder after my water was broken and I received my epidurals.  The pain was never too bad in either case. With my first I labored for a total of 18 hours, 2 hours pushing. With my second I labored 4 hours, 10 min pushing.

Like I said I never felt a ton of pain (I had an epidural when I was dilated 5/6). Both inductions turned out great and I would do it again!

GL and don't let anyone make you feel like getting an induction automatically means emergency c-section or that you are doing something wrong.  Figure out what YOU feel is best for you and your baby!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
     AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options

I got induced at 42 weeks 1 day.  My body was ready by then since it only took 8 hours after pitocin was started.  I just hadn't gone into labor yet :(  

You hear of girls having 18 hour inductions... those sound awful.  I wouldn't want to do it to soon because it could take forever and potentially end up in a c-section. 

• Options

I honestly have mixed feeling about inductions. On the one hand, it has been proven that babies that are born too large, which often happens in the case of Mom's who go over 2 weeks overdue, have many more medical complications. Also the placenta may start to deteriorate and will provide inadequate oxygen and support for your baby.

I was induced two days before my due date because my blood pressure was high and getting higher every day, and it was a cause for concern, for my health and for my baby's health.

I went in at 6:00 a.m. and my water had started to leak on its own. They have me pitocin anyway to help speed me along.

It didn't speed me along. My baby was born at 2:00 a.m. the next morning.

I think induction can be a good choice. But it should never be about wanting your baby to be born on a certain day, or because it's more convenient for the doctor, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was induced at 38 weeks because of low amniotic fluid.  I wasn't dilated at all, so it took a while, but wasn't too bad.  The first day and a half was just softening the cervix, which caused contractions that were painful but not unbearable.  I was able to walk around, watch movies on our laptop, and the hospital food was pretty good.  About 12 hours before DD was born, I was given my epidural and then pitocin after that, so I never felt the really awful contractions.  It wasn't great to not be able to walk around after the epidural, but it actually let me get about 6 hours of sleep which really helped with the delivery.  I would certainly be fine doing an induction again this time if it was for a good reason.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"