Trying to Get Pregnant

TTC-I'm almost 38, he's 47 with low semen analysis-advice

Hi! This is my first foray into this site, which has been informative thus far.  I'm hoping someone out there might offer advice, experience, observations on my situation.  

DH and I have been married about 1.5 yrs, together 4. I've been off Nuvaring since Nov 2010 (it was the only BC I'd used in last 7 or 8 years).  We have not had any luck so far.  At my last OB appt, I laid out my cycles, it was determined I was pretty 'normal' and she did some bloodwork and, with it being right before my period started, she said all results were great.  She suggested my husband get a semen analysis because of his age.  

He finally went to get it done, and I got the results today: Count should be more than 20 million, his are 27 million.  Motility should be at least 50%, his are at 34% and the 'normal' sperm should be more than 30%, his are at 9%.  

The OB suggested artificial insemination, putting me on Clomid just before and doing an ultrasound before to check the follicle size.  She said that his low results are most likely due to his age (he does not have any children).

He is on Sulfsalazine for arthritis, which can cause temporary infertility.  He does drink alcohol, too.  Not tons, but HH a couple times a week.  

Has anyone had a similar situation?  Would you go ahead with the artificial insemination?  Any suggestions or words of encouragement?  

Thanks!! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: TTC-I'm almost 38, he's 47 with low semen analysis-advice

• I don't have any experience myself w/ AI, but I just wanted to jump in and wish you both luck! If it were me I would probably take the recommendations of my dr.
    Nevermind me, I'm too distracted by my mini-carrots to think properly image
    ~Fitness Blog~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the input and wishes!  I will definitely take under advisement.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely see a urologist specializing in fertility. There may be a fixable reason why his numbers are low. GL!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• DEFINITELY go to a Reproductive Endocrinologist ASAP!  You are 38--you only have a few years left before they would deny you treatment for your own good (usually occurs around age 43 for a reputable establishment).  I have different issues than you do, but you don't really know what all your problems might be yet, and at your age you may have some. 

One more thing--don't do more than one round of Clomid without internal ultrasound monitoring and testing by an RE.  There was a woman posting here yesterday that did 6 rounds of Clomid without other testing because she was with a (poorly informed) GYN instead of an RE--now she can not take any more Clomid, ever.

TTC #1 Since 8/2010
    Me: 34, DH: 35 DX: DOR (FSH 14.9, AMH 0.67, AFC ~10) and Egg Quality

IVF #1 Feb 2012. MDFL protocol w/ Met. 7 ER, 0F.
    May Donor Egg IVF cycle:3 EF, 1 blast ET 5/12, 2 frosties
    BFP 5/21! beta #1 5/22 306 beta #2 5/24 818 beta #3 5/31 15,038.

image"">
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

• I agree with PP that you need to see an RE, they know tricks that OB/GYNs might not.  Also, an IUI might be a great option since the sperm aren't that wonderful.  They'll take a sample from your husband & wash it up, removing any sperm that aren't going to work & giving you the best of the best to work with.  The actual IUI isn't painful, just a little uncomfortable (along the lines of a really long pap). 

Wishing you good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks, Everyone! We are going to wait until January when our FSA kicks in anew, so we can better prepare for the costs. In the meantime, he'll discontinue the med that can cause temporary infertility and maybe we'll get lucky. The OB wants him checked again after he quits the med. I appreciate your input, advice and good wishes!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageGhostMonkey:

1. Meet with a urologist first for his issues.

2. IUI may well be a good option for you as a couple. If you decide to go this route, please find a reproductive endocrinologiost in your area and go through them. They go through all the training OB's do, then have extra years of training to specialize in fertility. They will be a much better resource and are more knowledgeable in general about the whole process. Though if there is not one close by, since your OB has already stated that you will be monitored, then I wouldn't take that option off the table. (Though doing bloodwork before your period tells you nothing- it has to be done on day 3 of your cycle to be accurate. The only thing that can be tested at the end of a cycle is progesterone, which is just the tip of the horomone tests.)

All of this.  You need an examination from a urologist because there could be an underlying problem causing the abnormal SA.  Good luck!

MFI, Lap on 7/21/11 - Stage III/IV Endo and Polyps removed by D&C
    IVF #1 with ICSI - ER 1/20 (16R, 12M, 10F), ET 1/23 (1-10 cell and 1-8cell transferred), BFP on 1/31 Beta #1 on 2/3 = 68, Beta #2 on 2/6 = 261 EDD 10/12/12  
    Baby girl born 9/22/12

FET #1 - 9/16/13 - BFN

IVF #2 - ER 11/11/13 (24R, 18M, 16F), ET 11/16 (2 Grade A blasts)
    BFP on 11/23 Beta #1 = 76 EDD 8/2/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"