2nd Trimester

will probably get flamed for this...

at the risk of sounding like a terrible human being/lush...here goes:

My #1 craving since getting pregnant has been alcohol! So random! I've been craving a bloody mary since I was like 6 weeks pregnant. I have had countless dreams about getting drunk/drinking.

This is really weird to me because I am not a big drinker, pre-pregnancy I might have like 2 drinks when I go out ~once a month? Sometimes I go months without drinking anything. So why I'm craving alcohol, I have no idea!

I know wine is "ok" I didn't drink with #1 & no plans to with this one, but I woudl really love 1 bloody mary. And a virgin mary just doesn't sound good to me. at all!

any ideas on something that can help satisfy the craving without giving my child 2 heads??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: will probably get flamed for this...

• Get an o'doules or whatever that fake beer is. That might help. Or have some virgin cocktails. Trick your body into thinking it is getting what it wants.
  • I hadn't even had the desire for any alcohol during my pregnancy UNTIL I was at a wedding reception Sunday and that sweet, sweet glass of champagne was sitting in front of me. I allowed myself the indulgence and I'm glad. I say make yourself a small bloody mary and enjoy.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are craving a bloody mary, I would say try some hearty, tomato-based vegetable soup and see if that works.
  • Like you, before I got pregnant, I usually had 1-2 drinks every few months. My drink of choice was almost always a margarita. 

I was craving margaritas like crazy a couple of weeks ago.  I think I wanted the salty, sweet, sour that only a margarita has.  I settled by going to a shaved ice stand and ordering the margarita flavor.  It actually satisfied my craving!

• I would make myself a small bloody mary and enjoy, but I'm the believer that small doses aren't going to hurt you/baby. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bloody mary sans alcohol? to me it tastes the same anyway, especially when it's really spicy - yum.

i noticed i really craved beer this summer when it was hot out. the cooler weather should help =) although boy do i miss wine

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Before I got pregnant I wasnt a big drinker but did enjoy a drink with dinner or a glass of wine when I got home from work every now and then. Like you, lately I've been dreaming of alcohol and then waking up feeling guilty because in my dreams I'm actually drinking it. haha. Although I have not endulged and had a glass of wine I agree with a few of the other people who've posted saying that a little probably wont hurt and if you can figure out a taste that will solve that craving all the better. Good luck!

• Trust me, you're not the only one having "no no" cravings while pregnant. Like many of the pp, try getting a alcohol free drink first. It might satify your cravings. Or you can indulge in a glass of wine or bubbly once a while if that works for you. As long as you are not a lush about it, I wouldn't worry about what someone else might say. There's always gonna be those who will judge you for something. I was craving a mixed drink a few wks back and I made a virgin one at home instead. It helped a bit, but it was better than nothing, lol!

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I love pina coladas and rum and cokes. I eat pineapple sherbert or rum flavored ice cream or drink chai tea, it helps my cravings. It's not quite the same, but we don't go out much nor do we keep alc. in the house, I make do.
  • blech odouls is terrible, the very worst drink on the market. If a beer would tide you over then get a Buckler. It's made by Heiniken. I would look for a virgin recipe though, I like mine with lots of olive juice. Yum!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesarahmsall:

Like you, before I got pregnant, I usually had 1-2 drinks every few months. My drink of choice was almost always a margarita. 

I was craving margaritas like crazy a couple of weeks ago.  I think I wanted the salty, sweet, sour that only a margarita has.  I settled by going to a shaved ice stand and ordering the margarita flavor.  It actually satisfied my craving!

This has been my craving! I rarely drink but I have really wanted one for the past few days! I will have to try the shaved ice stand!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJLS0320:
    I would make myself a small bloody mary and enjoy, but I'm the believer that small doses aren't going to hurt you/baby. 

This.

Formerly **eco**4k posts down the sh*tter Chart
  • Nah. No flames here. I have been craving bloody mary's like CRAZY too for some reason. I went to a wedding with an open bar a few weeks ago, and curbed it by having like 20 virgin bloody mary drinks ;)

I also had a very small glass of champagne, and only took like two sips for toasts. Then again, I come from a very large Italian family who always has wine with dinner at least once a week, including the pregnant women, so while it makes me feel a bit guilty for doing it, mostly because OTHER PEOPLE think it is terrible... I don't think I harmed by baby by taking 2 sips of champagne, and I honestly see no problem with a pregnant woman having a few sips of wine now and then, or even one small sip of someone elses beer once in a great while.

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable with hard liquor but thats my personal issue.

Honest truth - as long as a woman isn't getting drunk, a few sips here and there of whatever doesn't phase me.

img, #cubbies-overlay{ -moz-transition-property: margin, box-shadow, z-index; -moz-transition-duration: 0.1s; -webkit-transition-property: margin, box-shadow, z-index; -webkit-transition-duration: 0.1s; } .cubbies-selected{ z-index: 9999; box-shadow: 3px 3px 8px -1px blue !important; cursor: pointer !important; margin: -3px 3px 3px -3px; } .cubbies-selected:active{ box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px -1px darkblue !important; margin: -1px 1px 1px -1px; } #cubbies-overlay{ position: fixed; z-index: 9999; bottom: 30px; left: 30px; box-shadow: 0 2px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); border: none; } #cubbies-overlay:hover{ box-shadow: 0 2px 3px rgb(0,0,0); }

imageimage
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I would say to make a very good virgin bloody mary that is doctored up with all the good ingredients and not just using a bloody mary mix.  My BIL made me a virgin one this weekend while we were camping but he mixed up the glasses (before I had any).  But both he and DH had to taste them a few times to figure out which had the vodka in it.   I think if you add enough horseradish, worchestershire, olive juice, celery salt, etc., you won't even be able to tell it's virgin (well, except for that warm, fuzzy feeling you would get from the vodka).  Otherwise, just make a small one w/ vodka, savor it and hope your craving goes away!

Married July 21, 2007

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Too funny, I have been craving bloody mary's too!! That's the only alcoholic beverage that I have been wanting.. and I rarely ever drank before I was pregnant.  Now you have me thinking about them again.. I think I may need to have my hubby make me a virgin mary this weekend! Stick out tongue
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I allow myself 1/2 glass (3-4 ounces) of red wine a week, it helps me to feel like myself and not deprived ... what if you boil the vodka first to rid the alcohol and then put it in the bloody mary? i never tried it but perhaps it would fix the problem?? good luck!

santasmall Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not a big drinker either, but when I worked as a bartender I craved bloody marys all the time!  I started making them with a spash of orange juice instead of vodka.  That and adding a little A1 or Heinz 57 (I liked the Heinz 57 better), I actually started making the ones with vodka with the OJ and steak sauce for my customers and they would rave about my bloody marys.  I think the combination of worcestershire and steak sauce really masked the fact that there wasn't alcohol and the oj cut the tomato taste. 

Good Luck!

• This will probably be an unpopular opinion....

but, I really don't think there would be anything wrong with making yourself a SMALL one, just to satisfy your craving. Personally, I hate bloody marys...lol...but I know that having a constant craving can make you crazy and in my experience, satisfying one craving will take that one off my mind and then I focus on something else. They say you can have one glass of wine or beer a week during pregnancy, so i'm sure one small bloody mary during  a 9 month pregnancy won't hurt anything. 

• imagesarahmsall:

Like you, before I got pregnant, I usually had 1-2 drinks every few months. My drink of choice was almost always a margarita. 

This is me! I have been craving a margarita like mad. I hadn't done much about it though. I do agree with most of PPs. Just find a healthy substitute and see if that takes the edge off.

• I know how you feel! Since I've been craving a dirty martini every since I got pregnant! I think it's the olive juice I really want haha but the whole drink sounds amazing! I keep telling my boyfriend that will be my first drink once I'm done breast feeding!!
  • I never liked beer until I was pregnant with my Son.  Had half a beer 2nd tri and he is fine.  

Europeans drink moderately through pregnancy and their kids seem fine.  

I say have a couple sips of the real deal but make it weak. 

• Maybe it isn't the alcohol in the Bloody Mary...? My first pregnancy craving is always pico de gallo. I think it was a deficiency of the mineral licopene (sp) found in tomatoes. When I couldn't get to Chachos (my fave spot for pico) I took my vitamins and found the craving subsided a bit.

I would try the Virgin Bloody Mary and a vitamin see if that helps.

• I have been feeling the same way about margaritas! I went to Chili's one night and just about had a heart attack because I saw a lady at the next table with a Presidente Margarita! I felt bad because I wanted to snatch that thang away from her and i'm pregnant! I think I am going to try the virgin shaved ice margarita we have a great place that does the shaved ice. Thanks for the post and good luck!Drinks

• Just a random thought, but if it's always a Bloody Mary you are thinking of, perhaps it's something in the juice it'sself you are wanting. Try making a home made BM the way you like it and see if that helps. That's what I did and realized it was the tast I was after. My girl friends and I used to have a what we call a "Bloody Mary Kinda Sunday Afternoon". We will meet at someones house for a little cocktail, only mine is special now. lol

Here is what I use... Granted, I am picky and don't like tabasco.

V-8 juice, lemon juice, lime juice, celery salt, green olive juice,WS sauce, salt, peper, and if I want spice, I'll add a little tony's. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"