Trying to Get Pregnant

Vitamins: RX vs. OTC

Hi All,

Yay, my first post haha. I am wondering how many of you have prescription prenatal vitamins vs. over the counter. I was given prescription vitamins by my dr. and one of the girls in my office is like "well I just go to Target" and seemed half frightened and half p.o.'d that there there are prescription vitamins and she didn't know. I'm wondering if they're worth the expense.

Oh ya, mine are Nexa Select w/plant DHA 

Thoughts? 

Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Vitamins: RX vs. OTC

• there is no difference.  Some Rx ones contain a stool softner if you're having trouble with that while pg, but thats about it.  Oh, and the fact that insurance probably covers the Rx ones but not if you buy them OTC :)
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The rx ones have slightly more folic acid per table (1mg vs. 0.8mg in the OTC). I'm a pharmacist and I just took the OTC ones throughout my pregnancy and BFing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I take OTC.  I also did when I was pregnant.  Your doctor will talk to you about it at your first prenatal appt. and will let you know if what your are taking is sufficient.  For the time being, I think any prenatal (OTC or Rx) is better than not taking one at all.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • my doc said OTC were fine. i got a prescription anyways to see how much they would be with my insurance. turns out it $35 for 30. the OTC ones i take are about $10 for 50. i am sticking to OTC
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I use CVS brand. I don't understand the difference or need for RX prenatals. 
    ?TTC#1 since 04/11?CP 03/28/12?Me:Polycystic Ovaries&Endo??Him:MFI- Awaiting 2nd SA?
    ?Blog?
  • The Rx prenatals usually have higher amounts of folic acid and the ones I used (it was called PreNexa and I only used it after the doctor confirmed with a blood test) had plant-based DHA as well. I used Nature Made OTC prior to getting pregnant and now.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I use RX prenatal because military gave them to me for free! I rather not pay if I can get them for free.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • well excuse me for not stating that the correct way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"