Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding my 10.5 month old- issues

I don't normally post, but I really don't know what to do and I could use some advice.

So LO has been BFing from the beginning.  He is eating solids as well.  In the last few days, I've noticed that he's nursing for much longer than he normally does.  Tonight, he BFed for almost 45 minutes and didn't want to come off.  I went to put him down, but he cried pretty hard (not normally like him.)  I picked him off, topped him off, and he pulled off himself to see what my DH was doing.  I think he wanted to go back, but it was getting late.  Now he's freaking out again.  Is he not getting enough, how do I know if my supply is drying up?

Re: Breastfeeding my 10.5 month old- issues

• If he's content while on the breast, it's probably not a supply issue. Otherwise, he'd be frustrated by not getting anything. It could be just a phase. My guy (11 months) went through a super clingy phase about a month ago. Do you offer him a pacifier?
  • imagenursecramer:
    If he's content while on the breast, it's probably not a supply issue. Otherwise, he'd be frustrated by not getting anything. It could be just a phase. My guy (11 months) went through a super clingy phase about a month ago. Do you offer him a pacifier?

I think I agree with this.  In the past when I've noticed a definite dip LO would pull at the breast and seem mad.  He has days that he wants to hang out latched on for awhile.  Maybe he's teething or just feeling clingy?  

See if you can pay attention to if he's just sucking or actively swallowing when he's on.  If you're worried about your supply it won't hurt to eat oatmeal, increase fluids, and maybe take some Fenugreek (although that never worked for me; I've heard others have success).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"