3rd Trimester

Epidurals.... thoughts...

I really want to get an epidural but I am so scared of the risks.  Anyone had any bad side effects of getting an epidural before?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Epidurals.... thoughts...

• Not me, it was glorious.  The shot they gave to numb the area hurt like a b!tch, but so do contractions for hours and hours. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My OB and I discussed epidurals a few weeks ago. Yes, they will run off a list of risks associated with having one (because they have to), but she said the worst complication she has seen from one in all of her years of experience is a headache, which is cured with a little bit of caffeine.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I had no complications with DS. I asked for the epidural when I was nearly 7cm and from the moment they put the numbing shot in, I no longer felt any contractions. By the time I was ready to push, it had worn off a little bit but just enough for me to feel the urge to push. I experienced no headaches, infection at site or numbness.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Carter 5.25.10   Charlotte 2.6.12   Baby#3 5.17.15
  • Ftm here so no experience, do not plan on an epi myself, hoping to go natural... But had good friend who had an epi 6 months ago, and her right thigh is still numb. Bit scary to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't have any issues with my epi...even the numbing shot before they insert it didn't hurt much (especially compared to the contractions).

I was SUPER nervous about getting an epi. I'm not necessarily afraid of needles, but the thought of one in my back terrified me...but when it came down to it, it wasn't so scary to keep me from getting one.

I'll most likely get one again with DD2.

• Not me. It was a God send!  
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • It was great, and I plan to get one this time as well!
  • Mine was fantastic...my nurse told me before the anesthesiologist arrived that I would want to marry him!
  • The epidural was the single best decision I made while I was in labor. I SLEPT after I got it. After 32 hours in labor that was the best nap I've ever had :) I had no side effects except for a tiny bit of soreness on my back where it was administered, but it was no worse than the soreness after a flu shot and only lasted a few days. They turned it off when I was just hitting 10 cm, so I could feel to push very well, and I was up walking within 2 hours after DD was born.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagecszlachta:
    Mine was fantastic...my nurse told me before the anesthesiologist arrived that I would want to marry him!

I suggested to my H that we name DS after the anesthesiologist.

OP, I did go through a time where I would get an odd dull ache in my lower back. The only thing I could think it could be is where the epi was, but I am not certain.  I have other lower back issues, but this feeling was just different. I plan on getting an epi again if that means anything. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • No, I loved my epidural.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Both of my sisters have migraines since having the epidural as well as back pain from that day forward.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • imageTeacherVicky:
    My OB and I discussed epidurals a few weeks ago. Yes, they will run off a list of risks associated with having one (because they have to), but she said the worst complication she has seen from one in all of her years of experience is a headache, which is cured with a little bit of caffeine.

This is false. I had a spinal leak headache a few years back from a lumbar puncture (same concept) and spent a week in the hospital with the most unbelievably painful headache I ever thought was possible. They pumped IV caffeine into my veins in very high doses and made me lay horizontally and absolutely still for days because standing up makes the spinal leak and headache worse. It was torture and didn't cure the headache. I eventually had to get a spinal patch put in which was also painful. 

It was the worst experience of my life and I'm refusing to get an epidural because of it. Maybe some people have a milder form, but if you do get the spinal leak headache it is something to not take lightly and it's not something that is "cured by a little bit of caffeine."

Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine was amazing and I plan on getting one again.  I only felt contractions for about 30 minutes after they broke my water while waiting on the anesthesiologist.  It was not painful being put in and I had no after effects.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • *Lurking* 

No way will I get one. I will do just about anything it takes to go natural. Of course the pain is a little nerve-wracking, but I really feel like our bodies are made to do this, and its sort of sad that all of the TV dramatization and horror stories make women feel like the can't do it or wonder if natural birth is "possible". OF COURSE its possible. We would not exist if it wasn't. And on top of it all there certainly are side effects, headaches, numbness, infection, etc. I also personally want to be able to feel my own contractions so that I know what my body is doing and what I need to do to help it along. This is just what I believe, and I'm sure some disagree, but I really would suggest doing your research and believing in yourself and your body to do what it has to w/out intervention.  

• I had an epidural with DD and had no adverse side effects.  Didn't hurt at all going in and I felt pretty good afterwards.  I had terrible back labor due to DD's posterior positioning, so after a while the epidural didn't seem to do too much for that.  I'm having a repeat CS this time around, but I'd definitely get another epidural this time around if I were delivering vaginally.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• I'm not getting an epi and I have no real life experience with one so take my advice or leave it but the reasoning I'm choosing to avoid an epi is because of the risk to my baby not to maternal risk. I'd research both and then weigh your decision. :) hth.

• Getting an epidural was the best thing ever! If they could sell that stuff OTC, I would buy it! Ha! To me, the benefit far outweighed the risk at the time.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie - (uREA)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My friend had one with her child, and years later, she still has the sore spot on her back where it was...but she said she would still do it again and again because she cannot take pain of labour.

I will not get one because I have a very high tolerance of pain and because I'm stubborn and want to do it all by myself.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • My bad side effect is it not working...;)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • imagecdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

No way will I get one. I will do just about anything it takes to go natural. Of course the pain is a little nerve-wracking, but I really feel like our bodies are made to do this, and its sort of sad that all of the TV dramatization and horror stories make women feel like the can't do it or wonder if natural birth is "possible". OF COURSE its possible. We would not exist if it wasn't. And on top of it all there certainly are side effects, headaches, numbness, infection, etc. I also personally want to be able to feel my own contractions so that I know what my body is doing and what I need to do to help it along. This is just what I believe, and I'm sure some disagree, but I really would suggest doing your research and believing in yourself and your body to do what it has to w/out intervention.  

I really hate this type of preachy sh!t.  I believe in myself and my body being able to do what it has to do and guess what, I'm still going to get an epi, I believe in not being in pain if I don't have to.  Getting an epidural does not interfere with having a vaginal birth and the body doing what it needs to do to give birth to the baby.  Could I do it, sure, do I want to, nope!  Apparently, in all your research, you never researched the difference between an epidural and a c-section. 

And, if the Drs think it would be better for me to have a cs, I'll do that too.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imagecdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

This just pissses me off. She didn't ask for your opinion on whether or not she should get one, she only asked how others experiences are. Why do you underestimate her intelligence and just assume she hasn't comprehended all forms of labor?

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• imagecdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

I had a lot of these same feelings before I gave birth. Then active labor started.

Team Epidural, all the way. It was heavenly. And I had NO side effects except for a very slight tingling in my right leg for a couple of hours after I gave birth.

FTR, there is also very little risk to the baby. Much of the anesthesia in an epidural does not even reach the baby; its different than getting intravenous drugs.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLiz4444:
    imagecdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

I really hate this type of preachy sh!t.  I believe in myself and my body being able to do what it has to do and guess what, I'm still going to get an epi, I believe in not being in pain if I don't have to.  Getting an epidural does not interfere with having a vaginal birth and the body doing what it needs to do to give birth to the baby.  Could I do it, sure, do I want to, nope!  Apparently, in all your research, you never researched the difference between an epidural and a c-section. 

And, if the Drs think it would be better for me to have a cs, I'll do that too.

not to start a war, but there is research that disproves your bolded statement and that says any intervention can slow down the birthing process and therefore potentially lead to more unnecessary interventions.

also, everyone is talking about effects on themselves, but what about the effects of epidurals on the babies?

• imagecdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

This.  I didn't have an epidural with DD, and yes it hurt, but being able to experience everything and letting my body take over was amazing, and I felt SUCH a sense of accomplishment afterwards. Plus my healing time was very very quick! 

I think it is everyone's personal choice to get an epidural and there is absolutely NO judgement. I just want to say there are options besides an epidural if you're thinking you might want to try going natural. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagecdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

When you've been awake for about 50 hours and in labor for 32 of them, and have a posterior baby causing back labor so bad your vision blurs and you're nearly passing out, and are still only at 4. freaking. cm., then you come back and tell me the pain is "a little nerve-wracking." TV dramas and other peoples horror stories had nothing to do with my decision to get an epi - the fact that my body obviously needed some help to relax so it could do what it had to do caused me to get an epi. If you don't want one, fine, but don't go around preaching to others about what a horrible choice it is. Especially if you have yet to even experience labor. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just in self defense, I never said that it was a "horrible idea" or tried to make anybody feel bad about their decisions. I said that this is what I believe, my own opinion, take it or leave it. The title of this thread clearly says she wants peoples thoughts on epidurals. This is mine. I don't understand why everybody is so quick to pick a fight. The only reason I even responded is because of how many truly ignorant people I have come across in my own research and I felt like nobody had really advocated for natural birth. The OP said she "wanted an epi" and that's just fine if that's what she wants, but I hope nobody gets their minds set on it before they are in the situation, just because they are afraid. 
  • I delivered my last 3 kids with no epi or pain meds, and 2 of those were inductions with Pitocin.

I'm deathly afraid of a needle going in my back. However, I am so damn tired from my last birth 2 years ago that the thought of going through that again makes me want to sign up for the epi right now. 

If I can deliver naturally with no Pitocin, then I won't get it. If Pitocin is even near me, then sign me up for the epi.

• I posted this on the September board earlier this week, but for me the epidural helped things along. (FYI, my mother had 4 children no drugs - and she also doesn't use novacaine so i see both sides of the coin).

Anyway, i was late...very late, with no progression, and was running low on amniotic fluid, which means the baby has to come out. After about 18 hours of cervadil (12 hrs) then pitocin (6 hours) I was only at 3 cm dialated. I was always on team epi but didn't want to slow things down anymore, since that is what i had read. At this point i was exhausted, and got the epidural. I literally went from 3 to 9 in about 2 hours.

Again not the norm, but my experience was that the epidural helped to move things along. I loved it. Good luck....just like getting pregnant, it is your body, do what you think is right.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecdmiesuk:
    Just in self defense, I never said that it was a "horrible idea" or tried to make anybody feel bad about their decisions. I said that this is what I believe, my own opinion, take it or leave it. The title of this thread clearly says she wants peoples thoughts on epidurals. This is mine. I don't understand why everybody is so quick to pick a fight. The only reason I even responded is because of how many truly ignorant people I have come across in my own research and I felt like nobody had really advocated for natural birth. The OP said she "wanted an epi" and that's just fine if that's what she wants, but I hope nobody gets their minds set on it before they are in the situation, just because they are afraid. 

Oh please. Comprehension FAIL.

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• 1st: Yes, there are old, poorly designed studies which showed that women who got an epidural before 4 cm were more likely to go to c-section.  They did not show a causal effect (e.g.- the reason that the women needed a c-section was not shown to be b/c they got an epidural).  Babies with an abnormal presentation and who are  too big to fit out of mom's pelvis are more likely to cause pain early (leading a mom to request an epidural earlier) and also more likely to require c-section, regardless of whether or not an epidural used.

2nd: There are more recent studies which show that in a 1st time mom dilation from 4-10 cm is prolonged by 45 minutes with an epidural and pushing by 20 minutes but no increased c-section rate.

3rd: It is not uncommon for a labor which seems stalled to progress once an epidural is in place and mom can relax.

4th: Continued numbness in one thigh after labor may be from the epidural or nerve compression in the thigh/hip from the way mom was positioned during pushing (and unrelated to the epidural).   

5th: Risk of headache after an epidural is about 1/100.  These headaches are worse, and often incredibly uncomfortable, while sitting up but better when you lay down.  As you can imagine, this can make it very difficult to take care of a newborn.  While these will occasionally respond to conservative measures many patients require an epidural blood patch for definitive treatment.

6th: As far as risk to baby- when the epidural is loaded with the initial dose of medication it can cause a drop in your blood pressure.  If this is not treated the blood supply to baby is decreased and there can be a drop in the heart rate.  Baby recovers once the blood pressure is treated.  As far as the actual infusion of medication- baby doesn't see that.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have had an epidural with both deliveries and plan on it with this one as well.  It was the best thing for me and actually helped me progress because my body could relax.  It took me almost 20 hours of pain to get dilated to 4 cm with my first. As soon as I got to 4 and could get the epi, I did and within 3 hours I was at 10 and pushing.  I pushed for almost 5 hours and could not imagine doing that without the epi.  I loved it. No side effects at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have been able to experience both natural and an epidural birth.  My personal experience is that my birth with an epidural was much better. 

I had a set of twins prematurely at 34 weeks, and prior to delivery they placed an epidural to PREVENT my labor.  From what they explained to me, because I had not dilated but was in the hospital for almost a week due to constant contractions, an epidural would prevent my cervix from dilating.  I had an epidural for over 24 hours and yes I did not like it, I ended up having spinal fluid leak, so with that said I chose to not have an epidural during the actual delivery.  I have both my twins vaginally and with minimal pain medication, and it was very intense. It was a great experience but was very intense and I had many moments I felt myself out of character due to the pain of contractions. 

For my second set of twins, I carried them to 38 weeks and was induced.  I chose to have an epidural this time.  No issues and it was a great experience!  I was able to dilate fast after the epidural and I pushed 3 times and baby A was born, then 4 minutes later baby B was born. 

Its a personal experience and preference and only you will know what you choose to have.  You may choose to go natural, but during labor you may change your mind to have an epidural.  This time around I hope to go more on the natural side, but know that I most likely will change my mind depending on how intense my labor is.  All my babies were healthy at birth with no issues, and the epidural didn't have an effect on my twins when they were born. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagecdmiesuk:
    Just in self defense, I never said that it was a "horrible idea" or tried to make anybody feel bad about their decisions. I said that this is what I believe, my own opinion, take it or leave it. The title of this thread clearly says she wants peoples thoughts on epidurals. This is mine. I don't understand why everybody is so quick to pick a fight. The only reason I even responded is because of how many truly ignorant people I have come across in my own research and I felt like nobody had really advocated for natural birth. The OP said she "wanted an epi" and that's just fine if that's what she wants, but I hope nobody gets their minds set on it before they are in the situation, just because they are afraid. 

I may be the only one, but I agree with you. The OP was asking for opinions on side effects of people who have HAD side effects from an epi. I think it is naive to assume that just because you have had a "positive" experience with an epi, that it is going to be that way for everyone. It is important to keep in mind when deciding to have one or not that there are risks involved and potential side effects, as with any drug. I am not atni epi...there are lots of women who medically benefit from them and thats great! But to run out and get one just because you dont want to feel or experience the pain without giving your body a chance....is silly, IMO. Thats why its called labor, its suppose to be painful and hard. Does it hurt? Ummm, YES! People can have the attitude, why deal with the pain if you dont have to? Thats fine as long are you are well educated on the side effects of epi's. But people should also question, why take drungs that are not medically necessary? It is important when considering an epi, to look at both sides.  But please know that most women ARE capable of sucessfully delivering without one. And there are benefits to a natural birth. Like it or not!

BabyFetus Ticker
    image image
    BabyName Ticker
  • I just had a convo with my friend about it today, I have no experience getting one but it seems everyone's experience is different, I'm getting one, I have no pain tolerance.
  • I would think seriously about it especially if you do not know how you react to various drugs.  Remember they WILL pass through the placenta to your baby.  How do you want you want your baby to first see you and the world?

They CAN give you an epidural at any point, even though they will try to tell you otherwise.  Don't feel like you have to commit and demand it should you need it no mater how far along you are.

Consider asking your labor support/nurse if they have suggestons on how to naturally relieve pain before trying an epidural.  Try a hot bath or shower.

You do not need the shot they offer before the epidural, which is usally a narcotic.  They were presented to me a packaged deal.  The narcotic actually made me pass out.  I would wake up in the middle of a contraction and not know where I was, and pass out before it was over.  They told me that they gave the narcotic to take the edge off and it was for headaches, not that is was a narcotic.

The epidural itself did nothing for the pain and the narcotic wore off eventually.  An epidural WILL limit the positions you can give birth in, and your ability to move with labor to help things along.  The epidural can slow down your labor which would likely result in you getting pitocin, which is intense if the epidural isn't working for the pain,  Pitocin can increase your risk of tearing.  This all increases the risk of a c-section and/or post partum depression.  (post partum depression is real and difficult to deal with, I know)

There are studies that show that an epidural can impact your imediate bonding with your baby and first few monthes together.  Unmedicated births can be shorter.

Ultimately it is your choice the type of experience you want to have bringing your baby into the world.  No matter what do your homework and make the choice that is right for you and your family.  As for me, I am delivering where epidurals are not an option that some well meaning hospital staff could offer me.  I am confident in having an unmedicated birth this time (and that will get me through it).

Don't go into childbirth affraid of what if.  Be confident in your ability to give birth to your child medicated or unmedicated.  No mater what you will safely bring that beautiful baby of yours into the world.  Choose what is right for you at the time and don't let anyone scare you into one or the other.  Wishing you a gentle birth experience!

• imageMichelle&Jess:

There are studies that show that an epidural can impact your imediate bonding with your baby and first few monthes together. 

Pray tell...what study says that my decision to have an epidural will impact my ability to bond with my baby in the first few months of his/her life?  I'd love to hear this one.

imageimageimageimage
  • imagememali26:
    imagecdmiesuk:

*Lurking* 

When you've been awake for about 50 hours and in labor for 32 of them, and have a posterior baby causing back labor so bad your vision blurs and you're nearly passing out, and are still only at 4. freaking. cm., then you come back and tell me the pain is "a little nerve-wracking." TV dramas and other peoples horror stories had nothing to do with my decision to get an epi - the fact that my body obviously needed some help to relax so it could do what it had to do caused me to get an epi. If you don't want one, fine, but don't go around preaching to others about what a horrible choice it is. Especially if you have yet to even experience labor. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"