March 2012 Moms

Worrying about maternity leave!! (any nurses here?)

I'm a nurse so it's widely thought that we have no problems getting jobs... soooo not true, especially for new grads! I finally landed the job I've been after since April and I start in 2 weeks or so. Of course being due in March I'm showing a tiny bit but not many people would be able to look at me and know "oh she's pregnant" other than my close friends and family, so my job doesn't know yet. I had not anticipated getting the job because I interviewed in July and they said they'd call the lucky few two weeks after, so I was pleasantly surprised over a month and a half later I got the call. Thinking I had not gotten the position I booked a trip in October for my baby shower with my family that lives across the country. Because of the job offer I had to cancel my trip and my shower =(. I'm worried that I won't be able to take a good amount of time for maternity leave like I was planning. And because I will only have been there for 6 months or so when my LO is due I can't take time under FMLA without possibly losing my job. It's a federal position with amazing benefits and pay so I need to keep it, but I wanna be able to stay home with my baby and not have to go back to work right away. So now no trips or showers in NY or UT with my family so I can rack up time off. Does anyone have any knowledge of how much maternity leave is generally given to federal employees, taking into account that I'll only being a new employee? ALSO I am having the worst time finding maternity nursing scrubs! I look online and grey's anatomy (which I usually wear) have like 3 styles and thats it! Any other similar brands you nurses, techs or CNA's have found? 

Re: Worrying about maternity leave!! (any nurses here?)

• I'm lurking from feb board. I know Cherokee and landau have a couple of styles for scrubs. My last pregnancy I just bought maternity scrubs and wore reg. Maternity tshirts with a scrub jacket or vest. eBay had a few cute things. As for the leave question I have no idea. My last child was the worlds worst sleeper. As I look back I'm not sure how I got 3 interrupted hours of sleep and still took care of my patients but I did. Fast forward and I have a happy, adjusted 4 yr old that is proud of his nurse mOmmy. (posting from phone..no paragraphs)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yay!  Glad I'm not the only nurse on here!  I think the law is that they have to give you 3 months maternity leave and hold hold your job.  Now, since you'll be a new employee they don't have to give you pay during those three months but I think they do still have to give you the time off.  You can always call HR and ask those questions that way you have some answers before you have to tell your manager and co-workers.  Good luck and congrats on getting your awesome new job!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetash_rn:
    Yay!  Glad I'm not the only nurse on here!  I think the law is that they have to give you 3 months maternity leave and hold hold your job.  Now, since you'll be a new employee they don't have to give you pay during those three months but I think they do still have to give you the time off.  You can always call HR and ask those questions that way you have some answers before you have to tell your manager and co-workers.  Good luck and congrats on getting your awesome new job!
    I'm an experienced nurse in the same boat. I have not told my empolyer yet. They are not required to hold your job unless you apply for FMLA, and even then they only have to protect your job till FMLA is over. FMLA has nothing to do with how you get paid it only protects your postition while you are out. I know years ago of many new grads getting pregnant and they taking time off before there orientation was even over. However times are different now and I as an experienced nurse is worried about telling my new job. They can't fire you for being pregnant but they don't have to hold your job ether till you have been there 1 year and can then apply for FMLA!

2004- DX with PCOS

6/2011- Gonal-F + Ganirelix + Oviderl and Crinone= BFP

7/7/2011 Beta #1 119 Beta #2 563 Beta#3 4178

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

http://tinypic.com/r/25z7709/8

• I am a fed employee too. I don't know if the benefits vary by position or agency, but I know for me, I am entitled to the full 12 weeks off but have to use my annual or sick leave (or credit hours or comp time) if I want to get paid. And I can only use as much sick leave as my doctor certifies I actually can't work. Not sure how that will turn out yet -- I will ask more about it when I tell my boss I'm pregnant. If I were to take any unpaid time off under FMLA (as in, if I exhaust my leave), that would then push back the date I am eligible for promotions/raises/etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"