2nd Trimester

Motherhood Maternity salesperson FAIL

I was about 5'7" 140 before my first baby.  Now I'm 23 weeks pregant and 193lbs.  Needless to say, the weight gain has been hard on my self esteem. (like all of us I'm sure)  So yesterday I went to Motherhood for some new jeans.  You would think if you worked at a pregnancy store you would be a little more self concious of your comments, but not this woman!

Comment #1 - "I know these jeans are smaller than your size, but they run ginormous."  (couldn't get them over my hips, TYVM)

Comment #2 - I asked her to get me a different style of jeans.  She brought me a medium.  I wear an extra large.  Me: "Can you get me a pair in my size please?"  Her: "Oh I'm sorry, you just don't look like an XL.  I can't believe you're an XL.  Maybe I just want you to be a Medium."   Uhhh....yeah, me too.  Thanks for the help.

Re: Motherhood Maternity salesperson FAIL

• Wow, what a jerk.  My experience has been pretty good there, but I guess I've been lucky!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • WTF? Wow, I would have walked out after that second comment.

Now, more than ever before, I've needed some serious help finding sizes.  Bra sizes? Pant sizes? What I should buy for the weeks down the road? No clue. I would seriously question that lady's expertise in her own product line. If you can't even help me with a pair of jeans after I TELL you the correct size, how are you going to be able to help me with anything else?

• Loading the player...
  • Maybe she was trying to be complimentary with the second comment?  Maybe...at least I hope so!

With that said, the salespeople at Motherhood have never told me that sizes run in "ginormous".  In fact, I've been buying XLs where normally I'd buy larges, and I haven't gained a ridiculous amount of weight yet...so I personally think that the sizes run smaller.

Which makes me wonder how on earth plus-sized ladies find maternity clothes to wear.  Don't they only go up to XL, or a (smaller) XXL?

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageHopingForOne:

Maybe she was trying to be complimentary with the second comment?  Maybe...at least I hope so!

With that said, the salespeople at Motherhood have never told me that sizes run in "ginormous".  In fact, I've been buying XLs where normally I'd buy larges, and I haven't gained a ridiculous amount of weight yet...so I personally think that the sizes run smaller.

Which makes me wonder how on earth plus-sized ladies find maternity clothes to wear.  Don't they only go up to XL, or a (smaller) XXL?

I forgot to clarify - I'm telling you this because it means you're probably not as big as you think :) 

• That's terrible-- how rude can you get??
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So rude!  I need an XL in bottoms at MM, too.  I would have told her off.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

BFP#3 12/09/12 - EDD 8/11/2013 - D&C @ 12w :: BFP #4 2/17/14 - EDD 10/28/2014 - M/C @ 6w

• This reminded me, I was in a store once (not pregnant...actually before I had my child) and I wanted to try on a dress (I think the store was Fairweather). Anyway, I grabbed a large, and the salesperson came up to me and said "You may want to try an XL".

I ended up fitting into a medium.  And I let her know that implying that her customers were fatter than they think is NOT a good way to boost sales.  And I did not buy the dress.

• What a b!tch! I'd probably slap her across the face.
    Rachel (27) married to Mark (30) and surprised to be expecting mo/di TWINS due January 7th but scheduled c-section at 37 weeks December 17th. Put on hospital bed rest at 21 weeks due to elavated blood pressure. Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • I have been to two different MM stores and my experience hasn't been that great, either.  They just don't seem as helpful as I would have expected them to be. 

I'm so sorry you had such a crappy experience :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Time to write a comment email on website....
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Cloth Diapers at Nurtured Family
  • How rude! I'd it makes you feel any better I have the exact same stats as you except I am 196 now. I feel your pain, trust me!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When she said 'I can't believe you're an XL,' you should have said, 'I can't believe Motherhood Maternity allows their salespeople to be this rude.'

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS I was shopping in Motherhood and I was looking at black pants for work, the sales lady said "We have these in a short size as well." I told her I am 5' 4" and that the regulars usually work, she said "Oh, well these are pretty long...so let me know if I can find you the short size." I was like okay b!tch, if I want the short size I'll go to a different store. I haven't been back there since!
  • That's awful! I had a similar experience here, but it was a MM salesperson criticizing every single item I tried on, whether it was too big, or too tight, or too small, or my body wasn't the right "type" for it. I wanted to slap her. Finally I went with the one  that I felt looked and felt the best on. But man. Testing my patience! If I have to go back again I'm going to go with a group of people so they leave me the eff alone. :)
    BFP #1 : 05.08.11 : EDD : 01.16.12 : DOB : 01.15.12
    BFP #2 : 12.26.12 : EDD : 09.08.13 : DOB : 09.03.13
  • I have actually had really great experiences with the sales people at my Motherhood Maternity in Knoxville, but I completely understand how much it sucks when the person you expect to help you is rude! And I also feel your pain with the sizes! I fit in to several different sizes there and it can be very frustrating to find the right one - but when I do, I always feel very cute in their clothes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think pants run small at that place.  I need to find a store that has a sizing system that's better for my self esteem.  I'm right there with ya about the sales girl.  She probably thought the "you look like a medium" comment was a compliment.  Clueless! 
  • I have had the same thing happen to me.  Plus I HATE how they "attack" you right when you walk in.  Sometimes I just want to look without being offered assistance.  If I need something I will let you know.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• OMG that is the first thing that came to my mind too! Glad I'm on the same page with everyone else lol. I've found that very rarely are any maternity clothes true to size, with the exception of Old Navy. I bought a pair of pants there the other day that I'll probably end up secretly wearing all the time way after LO gets here! And you don't have to spend 80 dollars on a pair of jeans! I swear by Old Navy maternity wear and all the ladies that work there, and even the guys too, are always eager to help! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"