August 2011 Moms

Cord Blood Banking

Are any of you planning on doing this? What company do you think you'll use. Our neighbor's two-year-old was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, and they told us that they wished they had stored her cord blood.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cord Blood Banking

• I looked into it, Viacord, but it just wont fit into our budget so I didnt really go any further with it.  It sounds like a good idea though if you can afford it.
  • I've been debating whether or not to bank our cord blood.  DH's grandmother has been diagnosed with liver disease and I've been trying to research whether or not our child's stem cells could be a possible match for her.  Also, diabetes runs in both sides of our family as well so I wouldn't mind having the cord blood banked just in case.  The only draw back is that DH and I really don't have a lot of extra cash laying around right now.  It's kind of like insurance; it's something that you may or may not ever need.  You just have to decide whether or not it's an insurance policy that you want to purchase!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am definitely seriously considering it.  They are discovering more and more diseases that can be cured or treated with stem cells all the time, and I think having them available for not only our baby depending on the condition it is needed for, but also their siblings and other family members is an invaluable resource.  I have quite a few health conditions that run in my side of the family including various autoimmune diseases, so I think that is another reason I am in strong support of this.  For us it was mostly a matter of affordability.  Luckily, I have done some research and there is an option for Military members with the Military Cord Blood Bank.  They reduce the initial fee from $2125 to just $550, and then it is $125 per year in storage fees after that which is just $10 and some change a month.  It is still a lot of money, but I feel strongly that it may end up being more than worth it some day in our family's future.  I do believe the company, StemCyte, that supports the Military Cord Blood Bank also offers special discounts for families of Police, Firefighters, etc. as well as medical proffesionsals but I am not sure how much the discount is, but it maybe worth checking out.  Here is their website info:

https://militarycordbloodbank.com/

https://www.stemcyte.com/our-pricing-and-programs

Also if you decide not to go with private banking for the cord blood I would highly recommend donating the cord blood to a public bank and then it can possibly help another child in need, may even save someone's life.  Maybe someday everyone will donate and there won't be as much as a need for private banking.  If we decide not to private bank we will definitely be donating.  Anyways hope some of the info helps you in your research to make the right decision for your family.  Best of luck!  :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    image image image
  • Something the DH and I want to do. I haven't really looked into it but my dad out of the blue a few days ago called me and said that he was going to pay or the cord blood banking. Almost said it like I didnt even have a choice. I don't mind I look at it as a gift for our whole family. As far as I know my dad has done all the research and finding what works for him.
  • I read a brochure in the doc's office about a month ago that said the American Red Cross has a cord blood bank.  It is free and kind of works like donating blood.  You can donate it to them and then get a match if you ever need it in the future.  It isn't as good as ensuring you get your baby's cord blood, but it is an affordable way to help others and be helped in the future God forbid you should ever need it. Maybe that can be an option if private storing is too pricey.  I think this is the route we will be going.
  • imageMEANT2BE+3:

.  I do believe the company, StemCyte, that supports the Military Cord Blood Bank also offers special discounts for families of Police, Firefighters, etc. as well as medical proffesionsals but I am not sure how much the discount is, but it maybe worth checking out. 

Thanks for that info!  DH is a firefighter, so I may call and see what kind of discount they offer :)

• Like someone said earlier I was thinking about donating the cord blood. We just can't afford it right now but it doesn't seem right just to throw it out especially if it could help save another life.  I need to look into seeing if our hospital does donations or not.
  • I've been on the fence about this since the day we got our BFP and saw an ad for it on WTE...my biggest hold up is the price; and neither SO or I are any sort of military/police/fire/EMT/etc, so we'd end up paying out the nose, and it's just not something we can afford right now...especially not going from 2 to 3 in the family.

I wonder if when you donate if, God forbid you should need cord blood in the future,  you can mention to them that you donated, and to where, if they can possibly look you up and provide you with your own stored cord blood...? Now wouldnt THAT be cool?! I've heard of people with rare blood types donating a lot so that they can ensure at least a possible storage of matching blood should they ever need it...

Anniversary
    RTT badgeDSCN1111  Isla
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I wanted to do it with DD but it wasn't really in our budget and I kind of got talked out of it by a few people.  DD was born with hearing loss.  I recently read an article about stem cell blood used it the future to treat things like hearing loss.  I am really hoping to do it with this baby.  I just need to start doing some research. 
    Photobucket Sydney Elise 5/9/09 Kate Reese 8/2/11
  • This is just one of many posts I've read on here about this: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/26140365.aspx

I would never consider banking (I think it's a waste, for the reasons listed in the link above).  I do think donation is a great thing if you're able to.  A lot of hospitals don't allow it.  It's something we'll ask about, for sure.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageStefandTodd:

This is just one of many posts I've read on here about this: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/26140365.aspx

I would never consider banking (I think it's a waste, for the reasons listed in the link above).  I do think donation is a great thing if you're able to.  A lot of hospitals don't allow it.  It's something we'll ask about, for sure.

While I don't think it is a complete waste, I decided to not doing it after a LOT of consideration. I have friends that are doctors plus I took prenatal classes at a cord banking site. After all of this, we decided to not go with it. My hospital does not donate. Only one does in our area which is crazy for a big city.

Another thing to keep in mind, the research shows which they talked about at the classes, if you are a minority, you are in a better place to need the banking. FYI

• Thanks for some thoughtful dialogue, everyone. I'm going to check into the discount since my DH is a police officer. I'm still not a 100% sure what we'll chose, but certainly have a lot to think about.
  • imageBabyQuizzle:
    I read a brochure in the doc's office about a month ago that said the American Red Cross has a cord blood bank.  It is free and kind of works like donating blood.  You can donate it to them and then get a match if you ever need it in the future.  It isn't as good as ensuring you get your baby's cord blood, but it is an affordable way to help others and be helped in the future God forbid you should ever need it. Maybe that can be an option if private storing is too pricey.  I think this is the route we will be going.

If my hospital does it (haven't checked yet) we will be donating it to the red cross.  Great idea. 

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • Hi ! I work for Americord Registry, a cord blood bank. Find out how you can save up to ten times more stem cells as compared to cord blood alone. See www.cordadvantage.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"