1st Trimester

What's your opinion on coloring your hair during pregnancy?

I've done some research and there is nothing definitive out there, either way. In the packet of info my OB sent me, they said it's safe as long as it's done in a well-ventilated area.

My aunt, who has been a stylist for 20+ years, said she colors hair for pregnant clients all the time. She also colored her own hair throughout all 3 of her pregnancies.

I still don't know how I feel about it. I think I feel more comfortable about doing highlights as opposed to all over color.

What's your opinion?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What's your opinion on coloring your hair during pregnancy?

• From what I've read, salon color over box color and highlights over all over color.  Salon highlights wouldn't have any effect because it doesn't touch your scalp.  I'm waiting a few more weeks then going to sparingly salon highlight my hair.
  • I'm up in the air about it.  I'm waiting to talk to my doc tomorrow to find out what she thinks.  I know women have done it for ages while pregnant but it seems like one of those silly things that I can do without - it's a risk I don't need to take, like eating the tuna steak I have been craving for weeks.

Highlights sound like a good idea, since the color rarely if ever touches your scalp. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • The info at my doctor's office said the fumes are more of a concern than the dye itself. I know I'm going to get mine done (all-over color, but it's demi-perm) at some point during this pregnancy.
  • My doctor had me wait until after my 1st tri was over. 
  • My hair is bleached (and it does touch my scalp), as you can see in my profile pic.  I have done it or colored my hair with all 3 of my children and I will continue to do it this time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've already gotten my hair colored once (all over) and intend to continue to do so. My salon is big, airy, and well ventilated. My stylist knows I'm pregnant and is a friend of mine. I'm already going to feel huge and a mess as I get further and further along, I don't need my roots growing halfway down my hair too. ;)
  • My dr said if you can sit through the smell go for it. It might be best to wait til after the first tri for that reason, but other than that I dont think theres a safety issue.
  • I asked this question also. I don't use a box but hit my roots with SunIn just in the winter. In the summer, the sun takes care of it for me. 

He said that as long as the room is ventilated its fine, BUT during the first tri, the hormones that are running like mad can mess with the color outcome... 

• I did with my last and am planning on going soon! As long as its well ventilated. I also worked in a salon at the front desk before and saw pregnant women coming in all of the time to color their hair.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My opinion is I don't see what the harm is in waiting 9 months to color your hair.  I'd rather be safe than sorry, but then again I just color my hair brown to hide a few strands of gray so it's no big deal to me. 

I dont' see why people can't wait.

It's a GIRL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just got my hair colored a week and a half ago! I just do highlights and lowlights. I asked my stylist about it and she said it was fine because the color doesn't touch the scalp. I will say though I got dizzy sitting underneath the hair dryer after about 15 minutes. But, I also hadn't eaten much so that could also be part of the problem.

I had also asked about the color not taking properly because someone on this board had mentioned that. She said she had never heard of that and after she was done the color had taken perfectly as usual.

• imageAngel002:

My opinion is I don't see what the harm is in waiting 9 months to color your hair.  I'd rather be safe than sorry, but then again I just color my hair brown to hide a few strands of gray so it's no big deal to me. 

When you're 27 with gray hair that matches a 40 year old's then you feel the need to keep it touched up :-)

• imagejayleigh68:

My opinion is I don't see what the harm is in waiting 9 months to color your hair.  I'd rather be safe than sorry, but then again I just color my hair brown to hide a few strands of gray so it's no big deal to me. 

Well yeah, but that only applies if there is any danger associated with it in the first place.

Also, if you've been dying your hair a drastically different color than your natural shade and you work in a professional setting, it's probably inadvisable to sport several months' worth of roots.

There's no reason to put your entire life on hold because you are pregnant.

• imageTambcat:
    imagejayleigh68:

Well yeah, but that only applies if there is any danger associates with it in the first place.

Also, if you've been dying your hair a drastically different color than your natural shade and you work in a professional setting, it's probably inadvisable to sport several months' worth of roots.

That was my quote and I said yeah that's why it's not a big deal to me because I don't drastically change my color.  That is my 'opinion'.  And I'd probably still show roots if I did by chance do a different color cause that's just the type of person I am.

Plus here, I dont' know anyone who will color hair on a pregnant woman.  I know there are people cause I see it all the time, it's just the salon I go to my hairdresser would not do it.  They immediately tell me, you aren't going to color your hair, right?  As soon as they know I'm pregnant, so it's just an opinion. 

It's a GIRL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • check out your local whole foods or trader joe's they have natural hair dyes- even Henna dye- which is all natural and considered a vegetable dye.

My Dr said as long as there is no amonia in the dye its safe- I just bought a box from whole foods and cant wait to do it- my grays are RAGING!!! and its embarassing!

• imageAngel002:
    imageTambcat:
    imageAngel002:

Well yeah, but that only applies if there is any danger associates with it in the first place.

That was my quote and I said yeah that's why it's not a big deal to me because I don't drastically change my color.  That is my 'opinion'.  And I'd probably still show roots if I did by chance do a different color cause that's just the type of person I am.

Plus here, I dont' know anyone who will color hair on a pregnant woman.  I know there are people cause I see it all the time, it's just the salon I go to my hairdresser would not do it.  They immediately tell me, you aren't going to color your hair, right?  As soon as they know I'm pregnant, so it's just an opinion. 

Yeah, a person who loves her fetus more than I do, I'm sure. LOL. Your "opinion" is laced with judgment.

• imageTambcat:
    imageAngel002:
    imageTambcat:
    imagejayleigh68:

Yeah, a person who loves her fetus more than I do, I'm sure. LOL

Oh brother, I didn't say that.  I'd just choose not too.  Just like you'd choose to.  She asked for opinions.  Everyone has theirs and that is mine.  If someone asks for opinions I'm assuming they would want to hear both sides. 

It's a GIRL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So do you really wonder why people continue to color their hair during pregnancy then? It doesn't seem that hard to understand.
  • imageTambcat:
    So do you really wonder why everyone doesn't go 9 months without coloring their hair then?

Yeah.

It's a GIRL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay, not judgmental then, just dense. My bad.
  • The problem with coloring is not the ventilation.  Box dyes and Henna color have metallic salts which can contain lead and that gets into your body through your scalp.  Salon color does not have this.

It is still a good idea to get an amonia free color though to clear up any possible ventilation issues.

• imageTambcat:
    Okay, not judgmental then, just dense. My bad.

I'm not dense...my network keeps going out at work and erasing what I type before it 'posts' and there is no point in going back and forth.  I don't care what others do.  I just don't  do it and don't get the big deal in waiting.  Thatisall.

ETA:  It took me 4 times to respond ahhhh.

It's a GIRL!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm going to wait until I'm out of the first tri, which is not far away. I will do an all over color, and will also go to an aveda salon. I have heard the products are more natural.
  • This.  And, of course, try to avoid getting it on your scalp.

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemakinithappen:

The problem with coloring is not the ventilation.  Box dyes and Henna color have metallic salts which can contain lead and that gets into your body through your scalp.  Salon color does not have this.

It is still a good idea to get an amonia free color though to clear up any possible ventilation issues.

My doctor disagrees. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I asked my OB, and she said not to do all-over color but that salon highlights were ok. I know that different OBs say different things, but since I asked mine and she specifically said that I shouldn't, I'm following her advice.
  • This! I am 32, and after having my DS my  gray seems soooooooo much worse!`
  • imageKellyAnne&CHris:
    This! I am 32, and after having my DS my  gray seems soooooooo much worse!`

Oh me too. I didn't have any grays until I got pg the first time. Granted, I just got my BFP this morning, but I had my hairlighted two days ago and am not concerned.

DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • imagemamabear0813:
    imagemakinithappen:

The problem with coloring is not the ventilation.  Box dyes and Henna color have metallic salts which can contain lead and that gets into your body through your scalp.  Salon color does not have this.

My doctor disagrees. 

So your doctor thinks the lead in box dye is okay?  Or she thinks salon color has it too?  What does she disagree with?

• Here is a link with some info about it.  I will continue to get my hair done. And, my hair dresser is 20 weeks pg and she is around it 6 days a week.

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/isitsafe/hairtreatments.html

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have no problem coloring my hair during pregnancy. I have done it with both my pregnancies now. John Fieda just came out with a foam at home coloring kit and it works so much better than regular dye. There is NO odor and doesn't irritate the scalp. I felt more at ease using this type of a dye than regular at home kits. I would try this if you do plan on coloring your hair at home.

• I don't know how common it is for the hormones to mess with the color, but that definitely happened to me so beware of home dye kits! I was orange & pink instead of brownish blonde
  • imageJuliet725:
    I don't know how common it is for the hormones to mess with the color, but that definitely happened to me so beware of home dye kits! I was orange & pink instead of brownish blonde

Yuck... hopefully you were able to get that straightened out!! I asked my doctor if I could dye my hair and if she had any recommendations regarding restrictions (not coloring in first trimester, highlights vs. all over color, etc.) She laughed and said the only legitimate risk was that the color could come out funky. I trust my doctor and don't think she would have made a joke about it if there was any potential of risk to the baby. I got my hair highlighted around the end of my first trimester and the blond came out more of a brassy gold than usual, but wasn't anything too horrible.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"