September 2011 Moms

If you felt the earthquake...

What did you first think it was?  My first thought was a major tractor trailer truck going down our street (we live in a suburb, would be very rare), but as the shaking got worse, I thought it might be Quantico having some sort of exercise (bomb-related), and at its worst point I thought it was some sort of attack (biggest fear). 

Lesson learned - I thought I was calm in crisis...and I am so not!

Scariest part - couldn't get a hold of anyone, cell phone and house phone didn't work.  Lines were totally jammed.  

And FYI - if you're right around the main area (DC area), news is saying we may feel aftershocks or have another small earthquake anytime within the next few hours or days, just so you're aware!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you felt the earthquake...

• They're doing work on the floor beneath us, so I thought at first it was something they were doing down there.  Sometimes when they're jackhammering and drilling we can feel it in the floors.  But then when it got stronger and lasted longer, we knew it was something different!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I thought the cat was under the couch making it move but when the whole house started swaying I immediately thought earthquake. After it was done I thought that it may have only been in our small rural area and wouldn't make the news. I continued to watch Grey's Anatomy on Lifetime (LOL) and my friend called and said to put on the news. I was shocked! I txt'ed DF and told him that now I'm scared to be home alone.

Hopefully he's home soon bc if we get after shocks that bad I'll need him to keep me calm LOL. We live in the Northeast part of PA and just about 30-45 mins away from Wilkes Barre where they are evacuating alot of government buildings so they can be assessed for any structural damage. SCARY!

• Loading the player...
  • I thought it was one of the forklifts putting something heavy upstairs in the mezzanine and set it down too quickly.  I could hear the forklift as my office was shaking.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It woke me up from just laying down for our nap. I thought for a split second that I had left the washer on and it somehow got unbalanced then I remembered I didn't and knew it was an earthquake.Very unnerving.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Construction. I share an office and he and I looked out our windows to see if there was someone on scaffolding on our building.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my dad lives near quantico and thought the marines were blowing something up.  lol.  then he noticed the water coming out of the pool and realized it was an earthquake.
  • imageIrishmomma84:

I thought the cat was under the couch making it move but when the whole house started swaying I immediately thought earthquake. After it was done I thought that it may have only been in our small rural area and wouldn't make the news. I continued to watch Grey's Anatomy on Lifetime (LOL) and my friend called and said to put on the news. I was shocked! I txt'ed DF and told him that now I'm scared to be home alone.

Hopefully he's home soon bc if we get after shocks that bad I'll need him to keep me calm LOL. We live in the Northeast part of PA and just about 30-45 mins away from Wilkes Barre where they are evacuating alot of government buildings so they can be assessed for any structural damage. SCARY!

Aw, I hope he's home soon for you!  My husband's office let them come home early.  I definitely feel better having him here!!

• There are people who felt it in our city, but the building I work in is built with the more stringent earthquake requirements in addition to the facility we are building.  So no one out at our site felt a thing.  We didn't know an earthquake happened until an email was sent out from our design office.

• They've been filming the Batman movie downtown for the past few weeks, so at first I thought it was something related to that. They've been blowing things up the past couple days.
  • i was taking a lunch break reading in my car. i thought some kids were jumping on my bumper shaking my car! i live near DC too so my next thought was that it was from an attack (Scary!!!!) i didn't even think earthquake until i got on facebook and twitter later.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • I get the dizzies from time to time so that's what I thought it was.  I was on the phone with my mom at the time and didn't realize it was an earthquake until I heard the ladies in her office in the background asking if they felt anything.  Some people in my office felt it, but some didn't.  We're right across from Grand Central Station so I think people just chalk up vibrations in the building to the trains. 

It wasn't until our fire safety director got on the PA and started telling us to stay in the building that I got a bit freaked.  Reminded me of a day just about 10 years ago.  Then DH called from his cell and when I picked up, the call got dropped.  I tried calling him back and couldn't get through.  That really freaked me out.  I've finally calmed down a bit and now I'm contemplating leaving early.

I am glad to read that there haven't been any inuries or fatalities (at least since the last time I saw the update on cnn).  I hope that stays the same.

• I'm in downtown Richmond, VA, 34 miles from the epicenter.  At first we thought it was construction, then wondered if it was a bomb (we are near the capitol and the state and federal courts buildings so get bomb threats all the time).  Then I noticed that it was definitely side to side and knew it was probably an earthquake.  We ended up being herded to a large parking lot nearby for about 1/2 hour and then allowed back inside.  No major damage reported here although I'm concerned about that National Cathedral Spire in DC (I work in Historic Preservation).
  • I was sitting in my classroom in MD. At first I thought it was a pregnancy thing (I get dizzy sometimes), but then the wall was moving too. I then thought it was maintence, but by the time I asked another teacher, my desks and chairs were rattling around the room. I?m so glad kids don't come back until tomorrow; that would be a nightmare. The county sent us home early so I am completely not ready for the opening of school tomorrowSurprise

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I felt it, but I was in a training for work, and it just kind of felt like someone was moving their chair on the tile floor next to me and it made the floor shake a little. More like a vibration. But the training room we use is in a prison training facility, and they said they have some kind of protection from natural disasters that may have absorbed the impact. My husband said that in his office, a newly constructed building, that it caused drinks to spill and whatnot. Also caused a gas pump explosion at a nearby gas station.

We live in Western Maryland. We've never experienced anything like this before. After we realized what it was, I was thinking maybe we'd get some more tremors and it would shake me into labor! No such luck though...hope the next three weeks go by fast!

Hope everyone affected by the quake is safe and sound.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We live in Southern Maryland, just down the street from a Navy Test Pilot School (pretty used to big planes or fast jets flying by and shaking the house), but I'm originally from SoCal and generally kind of a fan of earthquakes, as long as they don't do too much damage.  Sick and twisted, I know.

My thoughts:
    1: Wow, the jets are really flying low today!

2: It can't be, really?

3. YES!!! Earthquake!

4.  HOLY CRAP - that bookcase [which I was less than 2 feet from] is really swaying!!

At that point, I quit thinking and got moving.  Caught the bookcase, but not the vase that was on it.  Didn't really think I needed to anchor furniture here til baby got mobile!!  But I did learn that even at 39 weeks, I can move fast if I need to!  Smile

• We are about 60 min. out of DC headed into western md and seriously, no joke, sometimes we have larger customers that come in the bank and shake the floors when they walk... Our bank is super old so it doesn't take much... but we all looked at the doors to see who walked in! LOL and then we realized it was just getting worse. Sounded like our old rickety walls were going to cave in!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"