Houston Babies

Do you wear your baby? (long vent and help wanted)

I need help please!  So far I've purchased and tried, the Moby, a Mei Tai, a Ring Sling and waiting on the pouch.  I work from home and I desperately need my arms back.  DD hates the moby, feels too young for the mei tai, looks slouchy in the sling...and I can only imagine what the pouch will feel like.

My daughter is 7 weeks and about 12lbs and I'm not sure how long but I'm thinking 23-24 inches.  She's a newborn but feels like a toddler to me.  She wants to be carried all the time, which I normally am happy to do but I have a huge project due this week.

I've watched the videos hundreds of times but end up so frustrated.  DD starts crying then I start crying....its definitely a funny sight.  I swear if I had a camera following me you'd be laughing your a$$ off!!  I'm as green as they come to motherhood!

I need someone to actually show me in person how to wear these things.  I've searched on meetup.com for a group but can't seem to find one.  I'm currently in SE Houston and possibly relocating to Central Houston (if we can ever decide on a house) later this year.  At this point I'll travel anywhere!

Obviously its not just the bw I need help with, but support.  Any suggestions, such as were to find a mommy baby-wearing group or a store? 

TIA

Angel

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket

Re: Do you wear your baby? (long vent and help wanted)

• sorry for the similar post...i just needed to vent
  • Houston Babywearers! I've never been, but it sounds like exactly what you're looking for!

https://www.houstonbabywearers.org/meetings.html

I'm no help because there wasn't a carrier that my baby DIDN'T like.  

• Loading the player...
  • https://www.houstonbabywearers.org/

I think the Houston Babywearers group is pretty active. I'm on their yahoogroup email list and I see emails for their meetings and questions from people all the time. I don't go to the meetings, but sometimes the info on the email list is helpful...and I don't wear my daughter very often anymore since she's 2 years old and pretty independent.

I think there's a froggy hold you could try in the mai tei since she's so little. I'd suggest having your DH help you position her and watch the you tube demo videos with you. Sometimes it's helpful to have another set of eyes for the first few tries even if that other person is a newbie too...:)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageacellardoor:

I need help please!  So far I've purchased and tried, the Moby, a Mei Tai, a Ring Sling and waiting on the pouch.  I work from home and I desperately need my arms back.  DD hates the moby, feels too young for the mei tai, looks slouchy in the sling...and I can only imagine what the pouch will feel like.

My daughter is 7 weeks and about 12lbs and I'm not sure how long but I'm thinking 23-24 inches.  She's a newborn but feels like a toddler to me.  She wants to be carried all the time, which I normally am happy to do but I have a huge project due this week.

I've watched the videos hundreds of times but end up so frustrated.  DD starts crying then I start crying....its definitely a funny sight.  I swear if I had a camera following me you'd be laughing your a$$ off!!  I'm as green as they come to motherhood!

I need someone to actually show me in person how to wear these things.  I've searched on meetup.com for a group but can't seem to find one.  I'm currently in SE Houston and possibly relocating to Central Houston (if we can ever decide on a house) later this year.  At this point I'll travel anywhere!

Obviously its not just the bw I need help with, but support.  Any suggestions, such as were to find a mommy baby-wearing group or a store? 

TIA

Angel

I completely understand. When they are crying and you have no idea why, it's frustrating.

I've never been to this store, but it sounds like they carry lots of different carriers there and could probably be very helpful: https://www.nurturedfamily.com 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageAbbyMae:

https://www.houstonbabywearers.org/

I think the Houston Babywearers group is pretty active. I'm on their yahoogroup email list and I see emails for their meetings and questions from people all the time. I don't go to the meetings, but sometimes the info on the email list is helpful...and I don't wear my daughter very often anymore since she's 2 years old and pretty independent.

I think there's a froggy hold you could try in the mai tei since she's so little. I'd suggest having your DH help you position her and watch the you tube demo videos with you. Sometimes it's helpful to have another set of eyes for the first few tries even if that other person is a newbie too...:)

She pushes up and tries to stand when I place her in froggy position...in any carrier.  I swear she came out being 3 mth old!  I mean I've never seen a NB with this much strength!  Confused

Thank you so much for the link, I think this will help so much.

• imageAbbyMae:
    imageacellardoor:

TIA

Angel

I completely understand. When they are crying and you have no idea why, it's frustrating.

I've never been to this store, but it sounds like they carry lots of different carriers there and could probably be very helpful: https://www.nurturedfamily.com 

I agree...its 30 miles away but I just saw they have a bw class!  So I'm def heading there!

Thanks for the help!!!

• I never carried Tracey in a froggy position. There's no reason you have to hold her like that in the moby, especially if she's not tiny. I didn't. I let T's feet hang free and she was happy like that. 
  • if you have video chat via gmail or skype, I'd be happy to help you out somewhat in person - I love babywearing and it saved my sanity with both my girls.

You don't have to do froggy with her, feel free to do legs out.  My first was a big pusher too and so froggy never really worked for us.

Also, here's the biggest help I can give you, well, two things actually.  One, keep your cool.  I know you're going to get frustrated, but if you are anxious and upset, she's going to feel the same way.  Also, once you get her in there, get moving and keep moving!  Try wearing her in the early am or after work, so you can concentrate on her and nothing else for about 30 minutes.  It's so dang hot, I hate telling you to get outside, but if you can, put her in and go for a walk.  Or just walk up and down your halls.  Or vacuum.  The vacuum + babywearing almost always guaranteed a nap in our house.

And the moby is a PITA to get for sure but I liked it the best since once it was one, you could leave it on.  This is by far my most favorite how to video for the Moby because of the way she shows to tighten the shoulder pieces.

I have about eleventy billion carriers so if you have any questions, feel free to ask

• kat.in.the.hat is the babywearing guru. Take any advice she gives you!

I am a terrible babywearer. I never did it enough for my kids to get used to it, so they seem to think I have two heads when I try to put them in it and go for a walk. I am sure that if you are committed to it, you will find what works for you and the baby.

You are at a tough age anyway. I found 6-7 weeks to be very difficult with my youngest. He cried all the time! It will get better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry In advance if these are too big or duplicated....can't seem to upload the pics correctly.  Here is Emma in the RS so far she likes it but can't seem to get good head support.  This is the only position she doesn't scream in.

imageimage" mce_src="image">

• She looks like she's in there pretty good.  As far as head support, when she gets comfortable, you can pull the top rail up a bit more to support her head.  Or pull it up when she goes to sleep.  You could also try scooting her over on your hip a little bit more so that your arm/shoulder helps hold her head up a little more
  • imageTexasPaige:

kat.in.the.hat is the babywearing guru. Take any advice she gives you!

this!!  her and rayskit were very helpful with my babywearing woes!!

also, i was not a fan of the moby mostly bc of the amount of fabric it was, and found it hard to manage.  the baby k'tan was a lifesaver for me w/ dd2... similar holds to the moby, but much simpler!

• imageTexasPaige:

kat.in.the.hat is the babywearing guru. Take any advice she gives you!

this!!  her and rayskit were very helpful with my babywearing woes!!

also, i was not a fan of the moby mostly bc of the amount of fabric it was, and found it hard to manage.  the baby k'tan was a lifesaver for me w/ dd2... similar holds to the moby, but much simpler!

• kat...  that video is AMAZING... and I am a self proclaimed babywearer...  but I wanna go home and grab my moby RIGHT now to try it  :-)
  •  

Thank you so much kat.in the.hat!  I'm sure I'll have more questions but the link you posted made me want to use the moby more often Emma didn't fuss at all.  Its homemade, so I may have to get a lighter fabric.  Any suggestions?

Em wasn't a huge fan of the RS, she started crying after the pics.  However, I started vacuuming (this was like 12amish) and she calmed down and later went to sleep.

I have just one more question, my biggest dilemma is working and wearing her.  I'm mostly on my laptop most of the day, which is when she wants to be held.  What wrap do you suggest?  I do most of my work in middle of the sofa in front of an over-sized ottoman.  Currently I'm holding her and typing at the same time...so my work is taking twice as long.  Is she too young for a back carry?  Or should I stick to the hug hold?

Thank you again, I feel a bit more confident with the moby and RS now.  

• Yeah, I would say she is too young for a back carry. Plus, you'd be leaning forward on your computer and I don't think having her on your back would be too comfy in that position. I would do the hug in the moby but you can move her up high, freeing your lap. Then maybe you can put your laptop on your lap on a pillow to work? Honestly, I worked a lot with my 1st son in his carriers sitting at the table. It was just easier with a baby attached to me. You might try that?

Also, don't discard your RS because she doesn't like it now. It's so easy and versatile for when she gets a little bigger. I still use mine for a quick hip carry with my 2 year old when it's not appropriate for him to walk. Neither of my boys liked the traditional RS laying down carry. I always did the tummy to tummy with legs in or out in the RS.

Glad you're getting the hang out of. It takes some time and is a learning curve for both baby and Mama, but so worth it when it finally all comes together! 

• Oooooh, I'm about to get wordy, just a warning Smile

If you like the Moby, the next thing I suggest would be trying out a Gypsy Mama wrap.  They're lighter than the Moby but still have a bit of stretch to them so that they're comfortable and forgiving for learning how to wrap your baby.

If you think you want to baby wear long term and want to get into back carries, investigate getting a woven wrap.  They are pricey, but there are a lot you can buy second hand to save some money on them.  I have two wraps, a Vatani and a Didymos and I adore both of them.  The Vat is super light weight and easy to use and I looooove it.  The Didy is heavier and hotter, but more supportive and we'll use that more once the weather cools off.

DO NOT DO THIS WITH A MOBY!

But, if you get a woven wrap, you can do back carries from birth onward.

This is Eliza on my back at two months old in my Didy

Oh, and here's a hold you can try with your Moby that imitates a ring sling, but I found it more comfortable and so does Bean

It's called Robin's Hip Carry - and since the Moby is stretchy where as a woven is not, just tie it on like she shows you, then pop the baby in it.

And because I love this photo, Eliza at just a month old in that hold

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"