Minnesota Babies

High Risk OB-GYN/Hospital Recommendations

Hi. This is my first post but I've been lurking on this board and Infertility for over a year. I am 7 weeks pregnant after a successful IUI and found out today at my first ultrasound that I am expecting twins. After the ultrasound, my RE recommended I schedule an appointment with a high-risk OB in three weeks.

I started to seach the provider list from my insurance but got overwhelmed with all the choices. I live in Shakopee but am open to delivering anywhere south of Minneapolis as long as they have a well-equipped NICU in case of early delivery. Any recommendations for providers/hospitals based on your experience? Anything you can offer to help narrow my search would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: High Risk OB-GYN/Hospital Recommendations

• I think Fairview Southdale will probably be the best place for you to look to deliver.
  • I just had my baby with Dr Leslie Pratt at Methodist Hospital. She is a perinatologist, and one of the top people in the field. They found that I had Vasa Previa with my pregnancy in her office, which left me with a one month hospital stay and C/S, and we now have a healthy daughter because of their vigilance (VP is often fatal for the baby). We are so lucky, as it is frequently undiagnosed and therefore fatal. I would use her again in a heartbeat.

FWIW, I was told that Abbott Hospital is the only Level III NICU unit in this area, so for any babies born very early, they are generally sent to Abbott. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

In my Think Tank, KM, Porteen + LowePro bags: Canon 5D Mark III / 5D Mark II
    16-35mm 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 24-70mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, 85mm 1.2L, 100mm 2.8L IS, 70-200mm 2.8L IS
    Lensbaby Composer + 0.42x SuperWide, Holga Lens, Speedlite 580EXIIs + PWs,
    Mac LR4 + CS6 + Nik Editing Suite
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsWarner:
    I think Fairview Southdale will probably be the best place for you to look to deliver.

I was not high risk but I know a lot who where & want to Southdale  

Welcome over to the Bump Happy & Healthy 9months. Feel free to ask whatever you need here as I know we have some great moms & a few great moms with Twins around here. 

• imagejetskreemr:

FWIW, I was told that Abbott Hospital is the only Level III NICU unit in this area, so for any babies born very early, they are generally sent to Abbott. 

This would be my recommendation too. Children's Hospital is right across the street.

Photo taken at 16 months old
  • I was high risk during the first half of this pregnancy and went to the MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) at Fairview Ridges. Everyone I saw there was wonderful, and it seemed like a small tight knit group.

Congratulations on your twins!

• I'd also go with Abbott since it's connected with Children's. And congrats on your BFP!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imagejetskreemr:

I agree with this.  Abbott Northwestern delivers more multiple births and high risk births than any other hospital in the state per year, I'm sure due to their proximity (right across the street, and connected by tunnel) to Children's Hospital Mpls.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD was born at 34wks at Fairview Southdale.  We had a great experience there (as great as preemie experiences get) during her 23-day NICU stay.  When we were there, they took babies 32 weeks and beyond.  However, I think they might have upgraded their NICU status since we were there. 

Good luck and congrats!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hi everyone!  I have been a lurker both here and the nest.  I am recently pregnant, 9 weeks with my first child and wanted to clarify about the Level 3 NICU.  I also happen to be a Labor & Delivery nurse.  Abbott is one of the local hospitals that has a Level 3 NICU.  United in St. Paul, U of M Fairview, HCMC, and North Memorial all have Level 3 NICU facilities.  Some hospitals cannot preform open heart surgeries or other high risk procedures on neonates. However, all of the above hospitals can take care of very sick term and preterm infants.  Many of the hospitals in the "suburbs" have Level 2 nurseries and can care for some infants that are "Late Pre Term" or need close observation.  If you deliver at a Level 2 hospital and your baby needs more care, it would need to be transfered.  Hope that helps!
  • Maybe try United in St. Paul, maybe thats to far for you, but it is attached to childrens hospital, and has a very good NICU...just a suggestion
  • I delivered at North Memorial - and DS spent a month in the NICU.

It's not convienient to your location, but I was happy with the care we had there.

Husband has cystic fibrosis. I'm a carrier. We did TESE, IVF, ICSI, and PGD. After two failed IVFs, we were blessed with our twins.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Mayo Clinic, Rochester has 2 hospitals within a few blocks of each other:  Methodist is where L&D are and St. Mary's has the NICU.  I wouldn't go anywhere else.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"