Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

If your LO has been on one nap for a few months

When is bedtime?  When does LO wake up?  And when is naptime and how long is it?  Also, if your LO takes a while to fall asleep, how far in advance of the expected sleep time do you deposit your child into the crib?  Thanks!

To answer my own questions, our schedule has been a bit odd lately (which I guess is why I'm asking!).  Recently, LO wakes up at 7.  I put her down at 1 but she may not fall asleep until 2 or even 3!  Then she sleeps until 4 or 5.  I put her down for bed around 7:30, but some nights she takes well over an hour to fall asleep! Clearly, our schedule is a bit messed up lately and needs some tweaking, but I'm not sure where we are going wrong.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: If your LO has been on one nap for a few months

• Weekdays:

wake up: 630ish

nap: 12ish for about 2-2.5 hrs

bed: 730ish

Weekends:

wake up: 7ish

nap: 9-11 and 2-4 (yes, two on weekends)

bed: 730-8ish

ive tried to do one nap on weekends and its just not happening. i think because shes sooo active during the week she needs to catch up on the weekends.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Lucas goes to bed at around 7 and sleeps until 5:30-6 (ugh, but nothing makes him sleep later).  Then he goes down for his nap at noon.  He used to sleep until 2-3, but recently has started getting up around 1:30-2....and he is grumpy.  I'm wondering myself if I should try pushing his nap time back....it sounds like she may need a later bedtime?  Maybe night sleep could be 8:30-7 and then nap 2-4...Maybe you need to wake her if she sleeps too much during the day?  Just guessing...GL
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker www.raisinghopehappinessandlucas.typepad.com 37 and dx with DOR...just fabulous
  • Loading the player...
  • DD naps from 1 to 3ish, then goes to bed at 7:30 pm. She is usually up around 8am...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Up around 8

Nap around 12-1:30PM

Down around 7:30

She is an an hour and half nap girl, no more.

• DD wakes up at 8.  Nap time is usually 1:00 and lasts 2-3 hours.  Bedtime is at 8.  She falls asleep easily, I think we just lucked out with that one! But I do watch her signs lately.  I will not force a nap at 1 if she is not acting sleepy and let her go down later or earlier depending on her mood.  Also at night if she acts sleepy earlier or a little later then that is ok too. 
  • imagesophiet496:
    Lucas goes to bed at around 7 and sleeps until 5:30-6 (ugh, but nothing makes him sleep later).  Then he goes down for his nap at noon.  He used to sleep until 2-3, but recently has started getting up around 1:30-2....and he is grumpy.  I'm wondering myself if I should try pushing his nap time back....it sounds like she may need a later bedtime?  Maybe night sleep could be 8:30-7 and then nap 2-4...Maybe you need to wake her if she sleeps too much during the day?  Just guessing...GL

That seems like a pretty good schedule.  My LO used to wake up at 5:30 or 6, too, and then suddenly started sleeping later a couple of weeks ago, but boosting everything up by an hour hasn't worked so well for some reason.  I think I'll give the 2 p.m. nap a shot...  Thanks!

• We have been on 1 nap since DD has started sleeping through the night at about 6 weeks. She has never been a good napper. She gets up in the morning between 6-7am. She naps around 11-12 and sleeps for no less then an hour and a half but most times she sleeps for 2 and a half hours.  She is in bed for the night between 7:30 and 8.

However I will say lately our napping has been a little more difficult. She is much like you LO and will not go to sleep for nap even though she is clearly tired. She also has been taking quiet some time to get to bed at night as well.

• Here's my son's schedule:  He is 18 months old.  he has been on this schedule since he was about 13 1/2 months.

6:30-7:00am wake up 

7:00am breakfast

9:00am snack

11:00 Lunch

11:45am - headed upstairs for a nap...I change his diaper, brush his teeth and give him a binky.  It can take him anywhere from 5-25 mins to fall asleep.  Just depends.  I put him in my bed and rub his belly and back..i know i shouldn;t...but he will only be a baby once! 

12:15-12:30 deep asleep and move him to crib

2:30pm - he wakes up by this time

3:00 snack time

5:30 Dinner time.

6:30 Bath

7:15 Cup of milk and a handful of puffs or kix

7:45, brush teeth, change diaper and binkie.

Usually asleep between 8:15 and 8:30pm

I gave you his whole schedule of eating too...becasue that plays a huge roll in sleep.  And in between the meal times, we go outside to play or we do an activity. The key is wear them out in the morning...so they will want to nap!  Sometimes, my son is rubbing his eyes and yawning as he is eating lunch!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • She sleeps 8P to 7A and nap is 3-3 1/2 hours, but pretty much at a different time every day depending on our schedule. Most often it's between 11 and 12, though, and she usually falls asleep on the way home from playgroup or in the stroller on our jog.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageoctober577:

Here's my son's schedule:  He is 18 months old.  he has been on this schedule since he was about 13 1/2 months.

11:45am - headed upstairs for a nap...I change his diaper, brush his teeth and give him a binky.  It can take him anywhere from 5-25 mins to fall asleep.  Just depends.  I put him in my bed and rub his belly and back..i know i shouldn;t...but he will only be a baby once! 

I gave you his whole schedule of eating too...becasue that plays a huge roll in sleep.  And in between the meal times, we go outside to play or we do an activity. The key is wear them out in the morning...so they will want to nap!  Sometimes, my son is rubbing his eyes and yawning as he is eating lunch!

Hmmm... that's actually really helpful.  Thanks!  I agree that meals play a huge role with sleep.  This makes me think maybe I'm actually waiting too long to put her down for her nap.  Maybe I'll try an earlier nap time tomorrow.

• imagemrsfirefly:
    imageoctober577:

Here's my son's schedule:  He is 18 months old.  he has been on this schedule since he was about 13 1/2 months.

Hmmm... that's actually really helpful.  Thanks!  I agree that meals play a huge role with sleep.  This makes me think maybe I'm actually waiting too long to put her down for her nap.  Maybe I'll try an earlier nap time tomorrow.

I noticed that if we waited too late to put our son down for a nap after he had lunch...we were in big trouble. He ran the risk of getting a second wind and then never going down.  Good Luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Bedtime: 7 or 7:30

Wake up: I wake during the week at 7:45, weekends she sleeps to 8 or 9.

Nap: Around noon for 2-3 hours

She normally falls asleep within 5 minutes of putting her down.

TTC #2 July 2014

Me: 35 DH: 36

FF Chart

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

DD1 Feb 2010

• My DD usually gets up around 9-9:30, goes down for a nap around 1 sleeps for 3 hours and goes down for the night at 9.

Eleanor Briar, born February 23rd, 2010
    Valentine Laurel, born August 26th, 2012
    Beatrice Hazel, born October 3rd, 2014
  • imagemrsfirefly:
    imageoctober577:

That sounds like an excellent tweak to make. Our schedule is similar to the above. Slightly later lunch, but I always try to get her down for a nap around 12:30. If it goes too long, she gets overtired and has a harder time going down. Good luck!

PhotobucketPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In crib at 8pm or a little later, which is a big change in the last month or two... bedtime used to be 7pm but he was taking an hour-an hour and a half to fall asleep.  Since both DH and I work full-time, it killed me to have him be awake all that time when we could be spending time with him so we gradually tried later bedtime and 8 seems to be working well.  He is usually asleep within 10-20 min now, though occasionally it will take 45 min-1 hour.

He wakes up between 6:30-7:30.  During the week, once he hears us get up, he is up too.  On the weekend, he'll sleep later since he doesn't hear us getting up.

He takes a 2-3 hour nap, usually beginning at 12:30.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"