3rd Trimester

Quick answer....Epidural or Natural

I am definately getting an epidural....without a doubt...I have an eleven year old girl and did with her. When I felt what a contraction was there was no way I would go natural.

Just curious why someone would or could want to deal with that pain? Just drop a line to say natural and why or epidural....just curious.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Quick answer....Epidural or Natural

• Epidural. I take Alleve when my knee bothers me and tylenol when I have a headache. I look at it the same way - minimizing pain. The goal is to have a healthy baby and mother and the epidural will not prevent this.

Just my personal take.

• Where I live, you can't just opt for an epidural.  You are encouraged to try other meds first, and then if needed, they will give you an epidural.

I am happy to try without one (I have heard that sometimes they don't work if they are not placed properly and that babies sometimes have troubles latching on if the mother is given an epidural), but I won't be too upset if I have to have one for a C-section or because things are progressing due to pain and discomfort.  I'm just going to see how it all goes!!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • For me it depends somewhat on the labor. I would try natural if my labor was 10 hours with 20 minutes of pushing like my friend just had! I think I could tolerate pain for that amount of time or a little more. For me it was 36 hours of labor with 48 hours of contractions 2-5 minutes apart before they even admitted me and no sleep for 2 days that convinced me to get one the second I was admitted. I got a full nights sleep before pushing.
  • Natural.  My body was meant to do this and I can do it the way women have since the dawn of time, so I'd rather do that and avoid all the side effects and potential additional interventions that come with an epidural

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
  • imagesmilelari:
    Natural.  My body was meant to do this and I can do it the way women have since the dawn of time, so I'd rather do that and avoid all the side effects and potential additional interventions that come with an epidural

This exactly!!! I'm one tough woman and feel I can handle the pain. It's for a good cause and I know the pain will end as soon as the baby is out.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Married 2/24/2008

BFP #1 3/13/13, MMC 4/17/13, D&C 4/19/13

BFP #2 8/7/13, Beta at 4w6d = 3,796

• Natural.  I've done both an epi birth and a natural birth.  I did not like the side effects that I had with the epi the first time around and felt AMAZING after my natural birth.  I'm really looking forward to this delivery :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have to say that during my last pregnancy, I educated myself on going natural for the entire pregnancy and was so determined. Once they broke my water and I felt that first REAL contraction, I was done. Sadly, I was not as brave as I thought, nor did I care at that point.

More power to those women that did it natural! Just wasn't for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Natural. I honestly feel that it is a healthier decision for me and baby. I don't want to be drugged, I don't want my baby to be drugged, and I feel that my recovery would be much faster. I am horrified to choose to be paralyzed even if it is only a couple hours.
  • imagesmilelari:
    Natural.  My body was meant to do this and I can do it the way women have since the dawn of time, so I'd rather do that and avoid all the side effects and potential additional interventions that come with an epidural

This.  The risk for additional interventions that comes with an epi is not worth it for me.  I'm a firm believer that our bodies are meant to give birth without pain relief. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!
  • Neither. Laughing gas. I don't want an epi, it looks painful, and I HATE needles. And I don't want to go completely natural, since I'm kind of a wimp.
  • With DD I went as long as I could without the Epi but caved in the end. I am sure I will utilize an epi with this child as well. I have nothing to prove to anyone, I don't need to prove how 'tough' I am or that my body was meant to 'give birth without pain relief' and i have no problem with the side effects of the epi. But to each, his own. I'm a firm believer in you do what you have to do--and everyone has different needs. 
  • Epi.  Had one with DS and it allowed me to progress much faster than when I had been trying to go naturally.  I don't do pain very well.  Though I have to say I am surprised by the comment above that a PP will be trying other drugs before an epi.  I labored on my own without any drugs (other than antibiotics for GBS) for a few hours of active labor then opted for the epi.  I didn't want to be at all "out of it" during the process, so drugs weren't really an option for me.  The epi I got was great and allowed me to relax and progress, but still feel totally with it.  I even held my own legs for the delivery (I could feel them, yes).  I think it depends on how "good" your epi is, too.  People who had bad experiences or have heard horror stories are probably less likely to opt for one.  I had a great experience and woudl do it again in a heartbeat.
  • Would be great if I can go natural, but I'm not opposed to an epidural. My plan is to hold out as long as possible.
    imageimageimage
  • I am going to try natural (FTM). My mother had an epidural and a natural birth and she said she felt so much better after the natural birth. She could immediately get up and move around. She said the epidural gave her the shakes and made her vomit. Could have just been her experience but I am going to try natural as long as possible. Though I have told my doctors that I would like to know when time is getting short to get the epidural so i can make the last minute decision to get one if i change my mind.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Natural.  At the hospitals in my area (from what I've been told by friends who delivered there) having an epidural means constant fetal monitoring, an automatic IV, ice chips only, and pretty much being confined to a bed the whole time.  Not what I want at all.  I want the freedom to move the way my body feels is necessary, to labor in water, and to eat and drink as I see fit.  I am not going to feel like a failure if the pain is way more than I imagined and I end up requesting an epidural, but I don't feel there's any reason to go in expecting one.  I'm going to take it one contraction at a time, and I am confident I can make it through.

• Try for natural but will go with epi if this goes on as long as my last labor (epidural at 32 hours). 
    Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • How about the huge needle they shove into your back for one, that if you move when they put it in can actually cause paralysis? Also how about both of my sisters still have problems with their back and headaches ever since theirs? I have done it four times and would rather feel every contraction than to have problems 15 years later.

And please don't tell me the two are not related. I don't have their problems and neither does my mother who went natural.  But then again I have a high tolerance for pain.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Natural birth.  Ditto to PP.  Our bodies were meant to do this; don't want to be drugged and confined to a bed; want to avoid as many interventions as possible; I've heard that people push longer with the epi.  Plus, while I understand birth is a different type of pain, I have experienced pain throughout my life (migraines and a back problem a few years ago) and I try and minimize the pain medication I take.  I also don't like the way pain medications react with my body.  Finally, I'm a very stubborn person and if you tell me I can't do something I ignore you and figure out a way to make it happen.Smile

I will also say that despite my own personal opinions about an epi, everyone is different and I don't judge those who make a choice different from my own (heck I may even change my mind once I get to the hospital).  (This probably stems from the fact that a lot of people I work with look at me like I have 5 heads when I say natural childbirth.)  To each her own.

• Epidural, I am a huge baby and don't want to feel a thing!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• i did it natural with both of my children. I knew i could deal with it as long as my labors were under 10 hours or so. i would have opted for it if they were any longer than that. but my labors were short so it didnt matter. 6 hours and 3 hours.

i was fine until the end, then it gets a little overwhelming but not intolerable.  

• Epidural.

However, I'll ask for it to be turned down at 8 cm and off at 9 cm so that I can feel when to push.

It was turned down 1 hr prior to pushing, and completely off 30 minutes prior to pushing when I had DD1 and I couldn't feel a thing and had a hard time pushing.

ETA: I've been considering trying to go natural longer than I did the first time and utilizing the birthing tub and massage, but I'm pretty much expecting to get an epi unless this time goes much quicker.

• Epi.  Had one for DS1 and I don't remember having any side effects.  I think I sat up in the bed for 20-30 minutes feeding and holding my son while it wore off.  It's not like I have to get up and run a marathon after giving birth.

David "BD" 2/8/07 Spencer 9/12/11
  • Epidural all the way! I had one with my son and it gave my body the ability to relax and dialate. Went from a 2 -8 in just an hour... since I was stuck at 2cm for 15 hours it was a blessing.I did do natural labor for a good 10 hours then tried alternatives before the epi.

I did try iv drugs which did squat for me... I was up walking around getting yelled at as I was not suppose to be walking while drugged. I also tried Laughing gas once and vomited all over my nurse, she was nice :) This time I will labor for awhile on my own and when the pain gets too intense ill go straight for the epi. 

• Natural. Our bodies are made to do this and have ways to cope with the pain. I plan to prepare myself the best I can and get through the pain. I also like to remind myself that when women say "I couldn't go natural" that's just not true. If every woman had to go natural, she would. That baby is coming out, even with no epidural. I would also like to avoid the potential side effects for me and my baby.

• imagevarkeyr:

How about the huge needle they shove into your back for one, that if you move when they put it in can actually cause paralysis? Also how about both of my sisters still have problems with their back and headaches ever since theirs? I have done it four times and would rather feel every contraction than to have problems 15 years later.

And please don't tell me the two are not related. I don't have their problems and neither does my mother who went natural.  But then again I have a high tolerance for pain.

Confused everything (including natural childbirth) comes with risks and benefits.  Each person has to weigh these for themselves. 

• Natural for a lot of the reasons already posted it.  Outside of pregnancy, I have horrible health.  Pregnancy seems to be the one thing my body can do without help, so why should I interfere? 

Plus, I would rather be prepared for a natural childbirth and at the last minute get an epidural than not be prepared, be planning on an epidural and it not work at all or only partially (happened to a friend). 

I also feel like my chances of tearing are reduced without an epidural because I will have a better sense of my body while pushing.  And I'll have more options during labor (e.g., moving around as I need to, no need for a catheter).

• imageKrisM86:
    Natural. Our bodies are made to do this and have ways to cope with the pain. I plan to prepare myself the best I can and get through the pain. I also like to remind myself that when women say "I couldn't go natural" that's just not true. If every woman had to go natural, she would. That baby is coming out, even with no epidural. I would also like to avoid the potential side effects for me and my baby.

I'm sorry but I really hate the "our bodies were made to do this and every women could go natural if they had to" statements. Consider how many women died in childbirth before modern medicine. Not to mention the babies that died to. I'm all for going natural as a personal choice, but saying that every woman should or could have a baby come out either way just as safely is just wrong. I ended up with an emergency c-section, if it weren't for modern medicine me or my baby could very well be dead. Or I guess I should've opted to have the dr cut me open with no pain meds since that would be the natural way to get the baby out. . . .? Imagine the women who had to go through that before meds were available. I thank my lucky stars I didn't have that type of experience. I just think it is awful to say that just because women are biologically inclined to give birth that we should feel guilty for using modern medicine to aid in birth whether its for pain relief of to save a life. 

• duplicate post, sorry

• Natural--I don't like the idea of being numb.  Heck, I don't even like taking Tylenol for a headache.  Plus, the delivery can be quicker, chance of c-section can be less (since delivery can be quicker--epidural can make your labor stall), less chance of tearing, and recovery time can be quicker.  Also, those possible side effects of the epidural makes me want to try without, even though I know those side effects can be very rare.

• image2-Step:
    I just think it is awful to say that just because women are biologically inclined to give birth that we should feel guilty for using modern medicine to aid in birth whether its for pain relief of to save a life. 

I don't think that's what she was saying.

Also, modern medicine is not the same as modern pain medicine.  No woman in her right mind chooses to refuse intervention that could save her life or the life of her baby.  Choosing to go med-free doesn't mean you choose to avoid intervention at any cost.

• I'm going to TRY to have him naturally. I've got a pretty high pain tolerance, but the keyword here is TRY. I tend to get nauseous when I take any sort of painkiller so I'd like to try and avoid that. My mom had epi's with both my brother and sister and had me naturally. With my brother, she doesn't remember holding him for the first time; with my sister, it only numbed half of her body. She said she felt pretty good after having my naturally, so I'm going to try and do the same. I'm a FTM though so I really can't say for sure how things will turn out. The thing is, it's not going to be a pleasant experience any way you look at it, they don't call it "labor" for nothing! 

• imagesarteratops:

I'm going to TRY to have him naturally. I've got a pretty high pain tolerance, but the keyword here is TRY. I tend to get nauseous when I take any sort of painkiller so I'd like to try and avoid that. My mom had epi's with both my brother and sister and had me naturally. With my brother, she doesn't remember holding him for the first time; with my sister, it only numbed half of her body. She said she felt pretty good after having my naturally, so I'm going to try and do the same. I'm a FTM though so I really can't say for sure how things will turn out. The thing is, it's not going to be a pleasant experience any way you look at it, they don't call it "labor" for nothing! 

I didn't find it to be particularly unpleasant and I look forward to doing it again. It was hard work, but it's also the only time that I've felt so strong and done something so amazing

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
  • I had an epi with DD1 and will again with DD2. I was not "out of it" the first time around and had no side effects. Every one is different and every pregnancy is different, so getting an epi does not automatically equal side effects, feeling drugged, or problems bonding or BF. And FWIW, I felt pretty amazing after delivering DD1 too....birthing another human being and the associated hormones that come along with that tend to do that to you, regardless of how they got here. :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesmilelari:

This, for me.  I'm not opposed to an epidural, but I didn't have one last time and if I can avoid it and avoid the potential interventions/complications that can result from an epidural, I will.

• imageCA2006:
    imagevarkeyr:

How about the huge needle they shove into your back for one, that if you move when they put it in can actually cause paralysis? Also how about both of my sisters still have problems with their back and headaches ever since theirs? I have done it four times and would rather feel every contraction than to have problems 15 years later.

Confused everything (including natural childbirth) comes with risks and benefits.  Each person has to weigh these for themselves. 

Should I tell the story about a friend who ended up with a c-section because she couldn't relax but was anti-epidural and tried sticking it out?  I won't, because I am not one to use fear tactics, like the chick above.

I was going to go natural, but when I had to have pitocin, I wisely chose the epidural.  I too had a c-section (not due to the meds, but because my baby flipped and was sunny side up) and guess what... it was fantastic, painless, and I was up and about in 24 hours.
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Also, FWIW - I was awake and alert the entire time.  No complications, and I breastfed my son without an issue.

Actually, at one point they gave me Nubain, BEFORE they knew I was having a c-section.  I'd recommend avoiding that - an epidural doesn't cause you to hallucinate.
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I agree 110%! If the medicine and medical technology is avaliable then why not take advantage of it?
  • image2-Step:

imageKrisM86:
    Natural. Our bodies are made to do this and have ways to cope with the pain. I plan to prepare myself the best I can and get through the pain. I also like to remind myself that when women say "I couldn't go natural" that's just not true. If every woman had to go natural, she would. That baby is coming out, even with no epidural. I would also like to avoid the potential side effects for me and my baby.

I'm sorry but I really hate the "our bodies were made to do this and every women could go natural if they had to" statements. Consider how many women died in childbirth before modern medicine. Not to mention the babies that died to. I'm all for going natural as a personal choice, but saying that every woman should or could have a baby come out either way just as safely is just wrong. I ended up with an emergency c-section, if it weren't for modern medicine me or my baby could very well be dead. Or I guess I should've opted to have the dr cut me open with no pain meds since that would be the natural way to get the baby out. . . .? Imagine the women who had to go through that before meds were available. I thank my lucky stars I didn't have that type of experience. I just think it is awful to say that just because women are biologically inclined to give birth that we should feel guilty for using modern medicine to aid in birth whether its for pain relief of to save a life. 

Obviously any woman planning to go natural will do whatever is necessary to get the baby out healthy if need be.  Women didn't die in the past because they were in too much pain...they died (and babies died) because medicine wasn't as advanced at the time and interventions like an emergency c-section weren't available.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!
  • wow great response...amazed at how many brave,strong women there are!!!Smile

good luck to you all whether you go natural or have an epidural...we all just want to have a healthy baby in the end... Everyone is different and no one should judge anyone.

thanks ladies have a good night!!!

• Epidural.

For me, I would've liked the experience of going natural. But I live in the deep south, and the OB practices around here are about 20 years behind the times. At the hospital where I had DS, there were no birthing tubs, no birthing balls, no walking during labor, everyone gets an IV, and you're required to lay in bed. After I was started on Pit, I wasn't even allowed to get up to pee...I had to go in a bedpan. I could've gone natural, but it would've been a helluva lot harder than at another facility that's more open to natural births.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"