Cloth Diapering
Options

did you bring CD to hospital?

Im starting a list and some light packing for hospital since I'm home today and DH would never find anything, its early I know but then again with twins you just never know! I'm wondering if I should bring anything in the realm of CDs or reusable wipes or even just more eco friendly wipes and diapers with me to the hospital rather than use whatever they have there. What has been your experience? TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: did you bring CD to hospital?

• Options

I didn't start CDing with LO until he was about a month old.  But I will definitley be bringing CDs to the hospital with #2!

ETA:  I was only in the hospital 12 hours after giving birth so there were only a couple of diaper changes so we wouldn't need to take a ton with us or take trips home to wash them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We didn't CD in the hospital, and I'm torn on what to do if #2 ever comes to be, but their wipes suuuucked. It is a fantastic idea to bring a few of your own wipes to use with water even if you don't decide to use cloth diapers in the hospital.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We didn't, just because I wasn't prepared enough.  I sent DH home the day before we were discharged, and he brought cds so she could go home in style.  :)
  • Options
    We didn't and I am not sure I would have changed that, her being the first baby and how overwhelmed we were but we will definitely bring them for baby #2!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We didn't CD my DD #1 till much later, but this time I think we'll still use paper diapers in the hospital. I will probably bring a couple prefolds just so we can practice getting the hang of it while there (I fear it'll take practice... LOL) but I wouldn't wanna do it the whole time. I'll probably just throw a few in my weehugger hobo and take them along to try.

ETA :: If anything I'm bringing my own baby soap! I know they only bathe them once, but I'll be damned if they are putting that Johnson and Johnson crapola on my itty bitty baby again!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We didn't and don't plan to for our second. There's so much commotion while in the hospital the way it is that we don't want to add to it with using cloths. Plus I don't want to get home, be exhausted and realize I need to do a load of laundry for diapers. I had a c section for my first and will more than likely have to for my second so I don't want to have dirty diapers that are 4 days old laying around either. Diapers are included in my hospital, might as well get your money's worth for the couple days you'll be there. A couple days in sposie's isn't the end of the world.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

We didn't CD in the hospital, but I would consider it in the future.  If you don't want to use hospital diapers, I think you should feel comfortable bringing what you want your kiddos to have on their bums.

One thing to think about is the possibility of a longer hospital stay and access to laundry.  If you're close to home and someone can run over and wash a load of diapers, great.  If not, you may want to wait to break out the CDs until your last day or two.

• Options

it's never too early! I had DS at 30 weeks.  Didn't have a bag packed, and the one DH ended up bringing me to the hospital the day after he was born was full of some crazy stuff! (like lacy underwear and random tshirts and shorts... not exactly postpartum material)

BIL even went that night to get some snacks (from Walgreens of all places) and even that was full of the weirdest selection.  Guys aren't the best "picker-outers" So I'm all for being prepared way in advance!

We didn't CD right away so I'm not much help there, but I'm interested in seeing what other mamas say :o) GL with the babies! 

• Options
    imageCeltiCutie:

ETA :: If anything I'm bringing my own baby soap! I know they only bathe them once, but I'll be damned if they are putting that Johnson and Johnson crapola on my itty bitty baby again!

This!!!

• Options
    imageCeltiCutie:

We didn't CD my DD #1 till much later, but this time I think we'll still use paper diapers in the hospital. I will probably bring a couple prefolds just so we can practice getting the hang of it while there (I fear it'll take practice... LOL) but I wouldn't wanna do it the whole time. I'll probably just throw a few in my weehugger hobo and take them along to try.

excellent point about the soap!!! TY adding that to my bag too! :) 

• Options
    We brought some CDs for the trip home.. but I ended up having C section and being in the hospital for four or five days total.. much longer than we anticipated. We used Earth's Best in the hospital (won't use Pampers products). I will say they were very concerned about if she had peed/pooped (which is why they like the wetness indicator on pampers) and with Earth's Best we could not tell really (for pee). Next time we will bring disposables again but we started cding the day we left the hospital. :) I actually liked their wipes.. they were dry wipes and you just add water so not much different than our cloth wipes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    thanks ladies! think I'll just stink to my own wipes and soap. what would I do w/o you all!!!! 
  • Options
    I did not.  I didn't want to worry about washing once I got home. I had a c/s and was the only one who knew how to use the CDs, I didn't want DH to worry about it since I wouldn't be able to be up and around the house as much as I wanted.  It was one less thing to think about and pack.
  • Options
    I didn't CD DD until 4 months. I don't plan on bringing diapers to the hospital this time.  I will most likely have a c/s so I won't be able to change diapers so much, plus there is enough to take already and I worry they will get lost or tossed out etc.
  • Options

We brought CDs and used prefolds/fitteds with covers. I probably brought wipes, but decided not to use them once I remembered the wipes at the hospital. I LOVED using those for wipes, and they washed well for a few uses, too. Bring something to use for wipe water because the peri bottle the hospital will give you is probably going to be used by you while you're there. We use the peri bottles for wipes at home and it works great for us. With DS I used fleece liners for the meconium and to protect dipes from vaseline as his circ healed. With DD I didn't use any liners for meconium because I already knew from experience that it wasn't necessary. No stains.

Anytime your babies are in the nursery they will put a sposie on them. If they take your baby to the nursery in cloth and need to change them there, make sure they know to put your diaper back on the cart (we kept our wetbag attached to the cart). Our hospital had students in the nursery one night when I was there with DS and they must have assumed our diaper belonged to the hospital (I now only have 11 newborn prefolds, lol), so keep in mind that it's always possible you could lose a diaper if someone other than your nurse is involved or if they just don't know your doing CD and they need to give them back. When I was there with DD we had no issues and I think our nurse one night even changed DD into a CD instead of putting a sposie back on her.

The hospital will give you a pack of sposies (maybe one for each baby), so you can choose whether or not to use them. With both my kids I gave away what was left in the pack after we got home.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but maybe other posters covered it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

Great idea to start getting stuff ready for you, especially with twins, but I wouldn't pack anything up for them at this point.

If you get to 35, I'd start getting stuff ready for them, 36-37+ weeks, then I'd start thinking about possibly bringing CDs/wipes/soap.  DS was a 34 weeker and was in the NICU for a month - longer stay than most, but even at 34 weeks, a typical stay is ~1.5-3 weeks.  No way would I have wanted to deal with trying to CD in the hospital for more than just your standard FT baby (no c-section) who gets to stay in room with you, especially with twins!  Even this time (35.5 weeks and counting), I plan to just bring sposies to the hospital and then start CDing when I get home, even if I get to FT.  I might pack some in an extra bag and have DH bring it in after baby's born if everything goes really easily, but I'm not counting on doign it until 1-2 days after I get home.

If the babies have to stay in the hospital for more than 2-3 days, you'll just be separated from them too much (IMO) to deal.  Plus, having an infant is hard enough.  :)

• Options

At our hospital, the babies room in(provided they don't need to be in the NICU) and don't go to the nursery at all, so CDing in the hospital isn't really different from CDing at home. The nurses don't change any diapers, unless the baby happens to be dirty one of the times they come in to check them and take their temperature. I've got a diaper bag packed with all the cloth diapering things I should need. If I run out, my DH can run home and either wash or get more because we live 5 minutes from the hospital, but I only plan to stay the minimum 24 hours, so I should have enough packed.

I've had babies in the NICU, though, and I personally wouldn't bother with cloth until they came home. There's enough to worry about already when you have babies in the NICU. You could bring more eco-friendly options if you really wanted to, but I just used what they had there and started the cloth at home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"