3rd Trimester

Blood Pressure Question

So my blood pressure has been really high the last few days (150's/110's).  I had an appt yesterday and they took it normally (manually by the pump machine) and it was still high.  Normally high (140's/100's) but just seemed to jumped so they sent me to triage.  They started monitoring me with one of the electric machines every 15 min.  The first reading was 131/81 and this is right after I left the doctors.  It was consistently low for me or normal for 2 hours.  I didn't understand and neither did my doctor.  Anyway, they sent me home. 

I just took it again and it was high (155/107).  I am not sure if there was something wrong with the machine at triage but it has NEVER been that low.  I think I will call the doctor again this morning but wanted to get your thoughts.  Oh I am 37 weeks today.

Re: Blood Pressure Question

• It sounds confusing, it almost makes me wonder if the machine in triage was broken or something.  Keep us posted and Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree!!  And the machine randomly wouldn't take it and at one point they had this massive cuff on me and my doctor made them change it.  I just don't want to assume everything is okay.
  • Loading the player...
  • If your blood pressure is really that high right now, you should call your doc and go to the hospital.  Pre-ecamplsia is a serious thing.  Do you have any swelling, diziness, pain in your arm or chest, visual disturbances, headaches?  Those are also all signs of high blood pressure.  131/81 is still boarder line for being high.  A diastolic reading over 80 (the lower number) and a systolic over (upper number) over 120 are considered high.  120/80 should be the limit for a healthy pregnancy.  

If I were you I would find someone to bring me to the hospital now.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Were you laying down in the hospital? If you lay down, your blood pressure is usually lower. I had the same thing happen to me during my first pregnancy. Every time I went to the doctor from weeks 37 on, I had high blood pressure and was sent to the hospital to be monitored. In addition to monitoring my blood pressure, I was put on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy and also had to take numerous 24 hour pee tests to screen for pre-clampsia. Until you talk to your doctor, I would try to take it easy and lay down as much as you can.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebluerevolution9:

If your blood pressure is really that high right now, you should call your doc and go to the hospital.  Pre-ecamplsia is a serious thing.  Do you have any swelling, diziness, pain in your arm or chest, visual disturbances, headaches?  Those are also all signs of high blood pressure.  131/81 is still boarder line for being high.  A diastolic reading over 80 (the lower number) and a systolic over (upper number) over 120 are considered high.  120/80 should be the limit for a healthy pregnancy.  

If I were you I would find someone to bring me to the hospital now.  

I second this. Definitely call your doctor.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Yes I was laying down.  I am on bedrest too.  I just don't get how it can be so high at home and the doctors then so low even right when I get to triage.  Just worries me that something could be wrong still.  Just took twice this morning and it is around 151/106.  I have been sitting down all morning too,.
  • I had high blood pressure with my last pregnancy.  It could be the difference between you being up and around or even sitting up as opposed to triage where I'm assuming you were lying down.  

When my BP got high I was ordered to lie down on my side and it would go back down.  When it got to the point where it no longer went down when I was lying on my side, they scheduled me for an induction.  

• yeah at the doctor i layed on my side for 10 min and they took again and it was still high.  I just did the same at home.  When I called they said my bloodwork is okay so I should not worry.  Confuses me because yesterday it was high and the doctor was ready to induce me.
  • sounds like the same thing i am going through. i have bp that is usually 155/100 but its only that high when i go into the doctors for my prenatal checkups. im ordered to go to labor/delivery twice a week for monitoring and it is always lower there. last time it was actually 90/50 and everyone was confused but then it raised to 140/75. if it is high most of the time be prepared to be induced just for u and the babys saftey. watch for dramatic swelling in your hands and face, swelling in your feet is normal this late in pregnancy. your doc might have u do a 24 hour pee collection. it sucks but with me they found moderate traces of protein and my bloodwork was borderline. so im glad they did it. i am getting induced in 5 days and will be 39 weeks pregnant. wish u the best of luck.

• do you have the automatic type of machine? that always has significantly higher readings for me than the manual cuff, and so i always tell docs and nurses not to use it. 

also, i disagree that anything over 120/80 is high for pregnancy.   150/110 is definitely high, but most doctors won't even worry until top is 140 or bottom is over 90. 

have you had any 24hr urine tests done?  It drives me CRAZY when people say high bp alone = pre-e.  they are totally separate things.  bp can be a symptom of pre-e, but it alone doesn't mean there is cause for immediate worry. 

• the manual cuff and a person taking your blood pressure is always more reliable than the auto cuff. I would talk to your doctor. Mine told me to watch mine and be concerned if it was 140/90 or higher.
  • I have the same problem. When going for my prenatal appt. I have a higher bp of around 130's over the low 90's. Most times it goes down after a few minutes but sometimes it doesn't. I then usually have to go for blood and urine sampling and some monitoring in L&D. The tests have all came back normal and my bp goes down considerably. Just try to relax. I was told however that if I check my bp and it is over 160/110 I should call the doc ASAP. Good luck!
  • Realizing this is about a month old, but I have had some challenges with hereditary hypertension since I was about 19. I was able to lower in through medication at first and then diet, but it is difficult. I am 5 weeks now and my doctor is keeping a close eye on it. It's about 125/70, which is a little higher than she would like, but could go down. I feel your frustration as it seems many different doctors have many different opinions and you are kind of at their mercy. Yes, laying down, stress, breathing, what you ate, what you drank, the cuff they use, the machine they use, could all be different. While one doctor wanted to induce you because of your pressure, now you are hearing that your blood test is normal so there is nothing to worry about. Perhaps your doctor assumed the blood pressure was doing damage to your body, but when the blood test came back, they discovered it was not and wanted to not to worry. But, man is it EVER worrying when we receive conflictual information, eh? My advice is always, listen to your body, go with your gut, and then advocate for yourself accordingly. Every person is totally different. Doctors use research to make recommendations based on random samples of a population, but that does not mean you fit into that category. I would advocate for what would make you feel the least amount of stress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"