3rd Trimester

Donations in lieu of favors at baby shower

I'm helping throw my best friend's baby shower.  I'm doing the favors and got little favor boxes that I will fill with Hershey kisses and I'm going to attach a tag to them explaining that a donation has been made to assist children in the famine in East Africa.  Anyone have any ideas on how the wording should go? Has anyone seen or done this?

Thanks. 

Re: Donations in lieu of favors at baby shower

• i think its a great idea. I did something similar at my wedding - only we donated to Katrina victims....
  • Personally, this is just awkward to me... It's like you are assuming that guests EXPECT favors (which I don't think they do....). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah...donating to a charity to assist starving children is super awkward...get a grip and also when is the last time you went to a shower and didn't get some p.o.s favor......NEVER. 
  • I think it's really noble and sweet, but donations are not favors.  When I was planning my wedding, everyone kept telling us that it's no way to thank your guests.  Personally, I wouldn't do it.  But like I said, it's really really sweet!!!  Otherwise, a nice wording could be : In lieu of favors a donation has been made on your behalf.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I think just the candy in the boxes is fine by themselves.  Still make the donation, but no need to add the announcement about it.

Favors are silly to me.  Has anyone ever been really super impressed or happy over a little party favor?  Not me.  Well, except that super fancy schamcy wedding I went to where we all got Tiffany crystal frames.  But that was a whole other ballgame.  Just give your guests somme candy to take home and that will be perfectly appropriate and nice. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have never received a favour at any shower I've ever been to. can you say cheated?
  • imageJanimal:

I think just the candy in the boxes is fine by themselves.  Still make the donation, but no need to add the announcement about it.

Favors are silly to me.  Has anyone ever been really super impressed or happy over a little party favor?  Not me.  Well, except that super fancy schamcy wedding I went to where we all got Tiffany crystal frames.  But that was a whole other ballgame.  Just give your guests somme candy to take home and that will be perfectly appropriate and nice. 

Yep, this exactly. Just do the candy as favors and make your donation. Telling them you made the donation just makes it seem AWish.

• "A Donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund.  Money for People".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • "In lieu of" means instead of.  You're giving chocolates, so this doesn't really apply in your case.

It's great that you're making a donation, but do you really need to brag about it?

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageSuperDeDuper:

imageCranang:
    "A Donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund.  Money for People".

LOL!!  Big Smile

I agree with PP.  You are giving favors.  And that's great you're also giving a donation!!  But there's no need to make the announcemetn about the donation.  If you really want to announce it (or if you feel like you should because favors in your cirlce of friends/family tend to be really expensive and you think people will be put-off by only getting chocolates ... which would be incredibly lame on their part) then maybe say "a donation is also being made to the....".

I agree with PP.  Also, by saying that "a donation is being made in your name..." you are basically implying that x number of specific individual donations are being made and for each there is a tax deduction form that your guests can expect (doubt they would - but you never know).  If you were planning on making one large contribution, skip the "in your name..." part. A little card on each table saying "a donation is also being made to the...." and a blurb about the charity's mission may be better.

• imageCeridwen21:

"In lieu of" means instead of.  You're giving chocolates, so this doesn't really apply in your case.

It's great that you're making a donation, but do you really need to brag about it?

• imageCeridwen21:

"In lieu of" means instead of.  You're giving chocolates, so this doesn't really apply in your case.

I agree with this as well.  I think it is quite charitable that you want to  help, but saying something about it at a baby shower just makes you look like a braggard.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"