3rd Trimester

New Moms top 5 newborn MUST HAVES

I have a pack n play with newborn sleeper/changing table (heard that was definitely a necessity!) and Graco quatro tour stroller/car seat combination, a bouncer and swing 2 in 1, Berts Bees bathing supply, and first aid/manicure set for baby. Of course there's more but those would be in my opinion my "essentials" thus far. (Aside from diapers ;) What am I missing that is absolutely necessary those first few weeks of life for LO?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: New Moms top 5 newborn MUST HAVES

• Depending in whether or not you are breastfeeding....

Lanolin

pump

soothies

nursing pads

nursing tanks

If you are not BF'ing.....

pack n' play or bassinet next to your bed

swaddling blankets or the halo sleepsacks

that vibrating chair for when you need to put him/her down

a moby wrap or some other carrier

swing 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bottles -- even if you are BFing, you need bottles so your partner can get in on the feeding action and give you a little break.

Burp cloths - babies spit up, throw up, A LOT!

Baby bath - a little baby tub on the counter and some soft baby washcloths.  You don't need to bathe an infant every day, but having a counter height little tub will make your life easier when you do.  Make sure you wipe in all the little creases.  and have cotton balls to wipe the eyes with just water. (Use a different cotton ball for each eye)

Extra sheets and changing pad covers -- there will be messes!  Be ready for them without having to rush to the laundry.

Swaddling blankets - swaddling is awesome.  I recommend the Miracle blanket - my DD was like a little Houdini and could break swaddles, but the Miracle blanket she stayed in and swaddling really helped keep her calm and sleeping.

And I'm adding a 6th - the little vibrating chair we had was great for DD.  It was portable so I could put it in the bathroom and have her there while I showered.  I couuld move it to the living room and she could sleep in it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • This may sound silly but I was wondering if I should hold off on the nursing bra (I am BFing) because I don't know what size I will be. Or will I be the size I am now?

• I would go ahead and pick up a nursing bra or tank now - because immediately after the baby comes you're not prepared to shop.  My hospital has a nursing mother store IN the hospital and thy can fit you while there - so see what your hospital has to offer. 

I would otherwise recommend picking up a nursing tank or 2 from Target.  They are stretch knit so the sizing can be forgiving. 

• Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • - Bouncy seat

- A good but comfy bra to sleep in if you're breastfeeding. You have no clue how engorged you're going to be and when I used to sleep on my side, my boobs would squirt milk. You need something to wrangle the girls in that will keep your nursing pads in place. While not a nursing bra, this bra worked best for me (better than any nursing bra/sleep bra/nursing tank top): https://tinyurl.com/3p73q58

- Boppy with waterproof lining (which is sold separately)

-  Hospital changing pads (like these): https://tinyurl.com/3rq3hwy for YOU! You will be leaking from everywhere and you don't want it to ruin your sheets! I stole some from the hospital.

- I used a nipple shield for the entire 8 months that I breastfed. DS was tongue tied and it was the only way that I got him to latch properly. I know that you aren't "supposed" to use the shield for that long, but I had no issues with it. It actually made breastfeeding easier since my nipples weren't as sore. My only issue with it was transporting it (I ended up using a pacifier cover like this: https://tinyurl.com/42hwtcd ), and also if you aren't paying attention to your baby when you breastfeed and you're new at it sometimes the shield will slip off and you will leak milk on yourself.

• One other thing that I would add is a post partum belt. I did not have one until couple of weeks after I had my DD and it made a difference. It makes your stomach go back in much easier if you have one.
    Pregnancy%20ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageMrs Castillo:

Actually, the rock n play sleeper also has lots of negative reviews for causing flat spots on infants heads.  Just look it up on Amazon and read.  I was going to get one until I starting reading up on it.  If you get one, be aware of that and don't use it for any extended period or for overnight.

• Thank you for posting this! I got some good info....

I would like to add a thermometer, receiving blankets, bibs, wipes/butt paste, infant tylenol, a stocked pantry & frozen meals in the freezer for us moms. Other than that you guys already have a good list..curious to see what other's post.

Have a good day ladies! =)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our pediatrician gave us a list of stuff he wanted us to buy (medical wise).  On it was:

Baby soap

Baby shampoo

Bottles/bottle brush/nipple brush (if you're using them)

Diapers

Triple Paste (best diaper rash cream EVER)

Baby bath tub

Cool air humidifier

Benadryl liquid

Rectal thermometer (it's much more accurate than any other kind)

Nasal aspirator (although I found the hospital one to work better)

Baby scissors

Baby q-tips

Saline nose drops (like Ayr, Nasal, or Ocean)

Pedialyte

Neosporin

• imagevspek:
    One other thing that I would add is a post partum belt. I did not have one until couple of weeks after I had my DD and it made a difference. It makes your stomach go back in much easier if you have one.

I asked for a "binder" from my hospital and they gave it to me for free.

• I'm going with this swing/bouncer because I love how it's 2 in 1 (limited space in small apartment so definitely a bonus!) :) And I LOVE how it's the same pattern as our pack n play! "Sweet Pea"

https://www.target.com/Graco-Duo-Swing-Bouncer-Collection/dp/B00434G2TM/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

• Must haves (if breastfeeding): carseat, sleepers, receiving blankets or some other swaddling type of blanket, crib/bassinet/play pen/dresser drawer pulled out with padding for baby to sleep in, some sort of breast care supplies.

Must haves (is bottle feeding): carseat, sleepers, receiving blankets or swaddle blankets, a place for baby to sleep, bottles/formula

Anything else is extra and not needed persay, but nice to have!  Included in those things are: swing/bouncy seat or both, stroller or baby carrier of some kind or both, breastfeeding pillow (boppy or something similar), specialty blankets, some sort of soothing device like a musical toy, any other extras that people say are must have but not really must haves......

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imageJanimal:
    imageMrs Castillo:

Actually, the rock n play sleeper also has lots of negative reviews for causing flat spots on infants heads.  Just look it up on Amazon and read.  I was going to get one until I starting reading up on it.  If you get one, be aware of that and don't use it for any extended period or for overnight.

Yea... FWIW  LO's can get flat head from laying *anywhere* for an extended period of time. People don't really take this into consideration when reading the reviews. Just make sure when LO starts sleeping longer periods you are turning their heads to the side at some intervals.  My LO sleeps 5hrs stretches at night in the rock N play and we have no issues with flat head. (She turns her own head to each side when she sleeps though) 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrs Castillo:
    imageJanimal:
    imageMrs Castillo:

Yea... FWIW  LO's can get flat head from laying *anywhere* for an extended period of time. People don't really take this into consideration when reading the reviews. Just make sure when LO starts sleeping longer periods you are turning their heads to the side at some intervals.  My LO sleeps 5hrs stretches at night in the rock N play and we have no issues with flat head. (She turns her own head to each side when she sleeps though) 

Exactly the bolded part! LO can get a flat spot from the crib or pack N play too, just start adjusting them when they sleep for long periods of time. We never had issues with DD1 getting a flat spot.

If really concerned, you can put a Snuzzler or Boppy Noggin Nest underneath for extra support--a lot of the reviews suggest it.

• I'm glad you have no issues with flat head - but your baby is only 2 weeks old.  I checked out the rock n play in the store, and unless it has changed since then, the padding does not appear as thick as it would be in a padded pnp.  It was very hard to me.  I know babies can get a flat spot from being in one position too long --- I have an almost 3 year old and I was very aware of this and she has a perfect head!  But the rock n play in particular has TONS of parents complaints about it.  I was going to buy one myself after hearing good things about it, but there is so much poor feedback that it freaked me out enough not to get it.  I mean there is A LOT of bad feedback.

• you don't NEED a bouncer, swing, boppy, blah blah blah.  You might want those things, but they are far from "necessary". 

you need:  (a) some way to feed the baby (preferably boobs), (b) something to dress the baby in, (c) diapers, unless you are exclusively EC'ing (d) a crib or co-sleeper, unless you're exclusively bed sharing, and (e) a car seat.  I'd add a wrap or some kind of other carrier, but not strictly necessary.    I'd say some of the medical suggestions are good too, but all you probably need right now is a thermometer and some diaper cream. 

• imageliv97:

you don't NEED a bouncer, swing, boppy, blah blah blah.  You might want those things, but they are far from "necessary". 

you need:  (a) some way to feed the baby (preferably boobs), (b) something to dress the baby in, (c) diapers, unless you are exclusively EC'ing (d) a crib or co-sleeper, unless you're exclusively bed sharing, and (e) a car seat.  I'd add a wrap or some kind of other carrier, but not strictly necessary.    I'd say some of the medical suggestions are good too, but all you probably need right now is a thermometer and some diaper cream. 

Well OBVIOUSLY she doesn't need any of that stuff but I think the point of the OP was to find out things that moms found useful. No need to be snarky about it. Out of curiosity, do you have other kids and and have things you found useful for them, or are you just quoting what you think is needed by reading What to Expect?
  • imageBashert628:
    imageliv97:

you don't NEED a bouncer, swing, boppy, blah blah blah.  You might want those things, but they are far from "necessary". 

Well OBVIOUSLY she doesn't need any of that stuff but I think the point of the OP was to find out things that moms found useful. No need to be snarky about it. Out of curiosity, do you have other kids and and have things you found useful for them, or are you just quoting what you think is needed by reading What to Expect?

You thought that was snarky?

• imageJanimal:

I'm glad you have no issues with flat head - but your baby is only 2 weeks old.  I checked out the rock n play in the store, and unless it has changed since then, the padding does not appear as thick as it would be in a padded pnp.  It was very hard to me.  I know babies can get a flat spot from being in one position too long --- I have an almost 3 year old and I was very aware of this and she has a perfect head!  But the rock n play in particular has TONS of parents complaints about it.  I was going to buy one myself after hearing good things about it, but there is so much poor feedback that it freaked me out enough not to get it.  I mean there is A LOT of bad feedback.

There is WAY more positive feedback than negative.  Plus, like people suggested, put a Boppy Noggin Nest under there and you actually have better padding than a PNP.  I always get the feeling that these parents complaining are ones who left the baby in the thing 12-14 hours a day and are looking for some way to make themselves feel better (aka...they found a scapegoat in the product instead of turning the blame where it needs to be...on themselves)

• You have a lot of the essentials.  In addition, I would get :

1.) A bunch of burp cloths (I personally think reusable diapers work the best for in the house...save the pretty ones for when you go out)

2.) Bottles and Formula (even if you are breastfeeding, just in case you have milk supply problems at first)

3.) Sleepers (get some newborn and 3 month ones...never know how big baby will be) and sleep sacks (I like the halo ones the best).  Get 2 swaddle sacks as well (most babies love their arms swaddled the first month or two when they are sleeping - helps them sleep better and it's much easier and actually stays all night rather than doing a swaddle yourself with a regular blanket - I like the summer infant swaddle blanket the best).

4.) Boppy - Great if you are breastfeeding and also nice to just prop you baby up on for a different way to sit or for some tummy time

5.) Tummy time mat - Very important to have tummy time (mine hated it, but the mat helped her deal)

6.) Baby Monitor - you don't need a video one unless you really want it.  I just have a sony voice one and you can hear everything. 

7.) Get the Baby Enstein Take Along Tunes toy.  My baby LOVED this since she was born and still does at 9 months.  Lights and music...you can't go wrong :-)

8.) Gas drops - Most newborns have a lot of gas problems and these help

9.)  This isn't a must, but I would really recommend a bassinet for your room (if you aren't using the pack n play for that).  My baby was a bit colicy and it let me at least get some sleep (the 15 minute increments I was able to get at night for a while...don't worry it always gets better). 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'll only add one thing, since it seems like everyone else covered a lot of ground..

Baby gowns.  Lightweight cotton, open at the bottom, covers an infant way past their toes.  My son LIVED in these for the first few months at home.  Easy to change diapers, no fiddling with snaps, and maintains body temp nicely.  Hard as hell to find, too - I only saw a few at Carter's, and bought a few handmade ones because I love them so much.
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageJanimal:

I would go ahead and pick up a nursing bra or tank now - because immediately after the baby comes you're not prepared to shop.  My hospital has a nursing mother store IN the hospital and thy can fit you while there - so see what your hospital has to offer. 

I would otherwise recommend picking up a nursing tank or 2 from Target.  They are stretch knit so the sizing can be forgiving. 

Thank you so much JAnimal. I was wondering this as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBashert628:
    imageliv97:

THANK YOU! I always see these snarky responses and think "really? this are suppose to be help boards so lets try and be helpful!" Glad to know someone else agrees!

• I really liked your list Lisa! I would've never thought of a few of those!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"