Babies: 9 - 12 Months

How to encourage 9 month old to sleep through the night

My daughter will be 9 months next week and she still does not sleep through the night and is getting worse.  She use to wake up 2 or 3 times a night but the last month it has been between 6-10 times a night.  I have tries everything from rocking her back to sleep every time to the cry it out method and nothing seems to work.  She has a conststant bed time routine, bath, book, bottle, bed by 8.  She takes 2 hour and a half napes during the day (which are a challenge as well).  I need to find a way to get her sleeping better for her sake and mine.  She is only getting between 6-8 hrs sleep a night with all the waking.  Any advice would be much appreciated. The only thing I am not willing to try is co-sleeping.  Not only do I not think it is a good idea, but my husband sleeps with a sleep apnea mask which would be hazardous for the baby.

Re: How to encourage 9 month old to sleep through the night

• I'm still reading the book, but maybe you want to try the Sleep Easy Solution. I'm not a fan of CIO either, but it seems like there's not much left to do. Our babies need to learn how to fall asleep and stay asleep on their own without our help.

Ask your pedi first though, as I'm going to do this week. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Is she too warm?  Too cold? Does she have a lovey? 

When she wakes up, is she screaming-crying or just whiny-crying?  Our girls wake up numerous times a night, give a single cry/whimper and then fall back to sleep on their own. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We went through that sleep hell a few weeks back and I'm fairly sure it had to do with Wonder Week 36 and separation anxiety.  We were up and down all night and it was miserable.  No matter what we did, once we put them down it was screaming.The only thing that worked was co-sleeping which meant DH in one bed with one baby and me in the other bed with the other baby which was awful and uncomfortable. 

What helped for me was a two pronged plan of attack.  I revamped daytime sleep, moving naps later. Now they nap from 9:30-11 and from 1:30 to 3.  Before that, there had been a 2 hour morning nap and a shorter PM nap.  The other part was doing CIO to encourage self-soothing.  They'd been going down just fine for months so I knew they could do it.   It took a few nights of tears at either bedtime or in the middle of the night, but things dramatically improved after that.  It was probably partly reorganizing daytime sleep, partly the CIO  and partly just getting out of the sleep regression phase. 

• Ds was the same way up until a few weeks ago, where instead of just nursing at every wakening, dh would rock back to bed until 12 am, then feed him a bottle.  It eventually broke the cycle and now he goes till then without waking, wakes once for a bottle, back to bed and then nurses after 430...it's a start.

and you don't need to do cry it out...it will eventually happen, read no cry sleep solution, gl!

Alicia
    Mom to Three Sweet Things
    Lifestyle Blog and Health and Wellness
  • She starts out just whining, then if I do not respond within a couple min it turns in to screaming.  I have tried placing numerous loveys in her crib.  She has not showed any interest in any of them.
  • Say "please" and "thank you"?

Honestly, I wish I knew.

• I just survived 3 months of frequent nighttime wake ups. Every 1-3 hours. Then, in just 2 days, she started sleeping through the night on her own. She is also falling asleep by herself at night although we do bedshare.

I thought she'd never sleep without all the bells and whistles (getting rocked, bounced, nursed etc) but I do believe that STTN is a developmental milestone just like crawling and walking. Some get there faster. It will happen!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"