Two Under 2

Grocery shopping poll

Do you take your 2u2 with you to the grocery store? DH thinks this is totally doable. I say it would be best when he is home and can manage the kiddos. He insists people do it all the time. So, who is right?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Grocery shopping poll

• You're both right. It is doable, but it would definitely be easier and faster if you left the kids at home with DH.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Did the answers in your post below not answer the question?

someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok, I am clearly losing my mind, it has been a stressful week. Looking at the date and time on that one it was a good hour and a half since I had taken an ambien. I don't even remember posting it. Someone should probably hide my car keys.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did for the first year to year and a half.  I don't right now (DH does) but they're not "under two" anymore.

When DS2 was really little, I had DS1 in the seat of the cart and I would wear DS2.  Once he got to be about 6mo or so, DS2 would ride in the seat, DS1 would be in the big part of the basket and I would put a handcart underneath my cart to hold the groceries.  And I always brought snacks for them.  It was totally doable and easy.

Now that neither one will sit in the cart and they are both at ages where they will walk whichever way they way, I try not to bring both.  I usually wait until my mom can watch them, take DS2 alone while DS1 is at preschool, or wait until DH is home.

And I would agree with your DH, people do do it all the time.  I see moms with 2+ little ones at the store pretty much every time I'm there.

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageludicrous:
    Ok, I am clearly losing my mind, it has been a stressful week. Looking at the date and time on that one it was a good hour and a half since I had taken an ambien. I don't even remember posting it. Someone should probably hide my car keys.

Ha!  Well, I hadn't scrolled down to see your post below so my answer is in this thread  :)

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageRaffes484:
    You're both right. It is doable, but it would definitely be easier and faster if you left the kids at home with DH.

This.  I grocery shop early on Saturday mornings without the kids.  But this weekend I was on bedrest and DH went shopping with both kids.  Manageable, but not as expedient.

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • You're both right. Of course it's doable. What do you think the moms whose husband works long hours or works out of town do? Yes, it's easier to wait until he gets home but sometimes that's just not an option.
  • Yes, it's "doable" but it's borderline torture.  I avoid doing it at all costs and generally go in the evening after they are in bed or in the afternoon on the weekends when one of them is napping.
  • jgoojgoo member

I admire you women who do this! I truly do.

But there is no way I would try it, lol. [I mean if I HAD to, then I would of course.]

One of us usually stays home with the kiddies while the other does the groceries. Sometimes we'll take DS just to get him out for the moment.

• Single mom here  and it's doable but it does take a while. I try to wait until LO#2 is asleep and I put the carseat in the big basket and LO#1 in the front. The groceries go around the carseat and I have learned that I can put a handbasket underneath. I haven't done it yet but I'm going to do it. Otherwise the stuff falls on the floor. LOL I hate picking those things up repeatedly.

• I do but LO# 2 is only 2 months old. I imagine things will get tougher when she's older. I love that my grocery store has those car carts. DS loves it and gets in and buckles himself in. It helps that our grocery store gives free cookies too. Definitely go in with your list organized by the store's layout so there's little backtracking and so you don't forget stuff like I do.
    Anniversary
    *photo removed*
  • There are lots of things that are possible that I don't want to do.

If I were in a pinch, I could take both but there's never a need for that.  I either go alone (usually after DS is in bed so DH only has to care for DD) or I go with just DS (so he can get out).  

I could go with both, but I don't want to. 

• I go alone with my 2 (13 months apart) all the time. Does it take a little longer, sure, but I don't think it's much more difficult. They're pretty easy going though, and we take them out a lot (to restaurants and what not), so I think they're just used to it at this point. Hopefully that continues when they're a few years older :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It is doable, but certainly NOT preferable.  I can grocery shop with all three if needs be, but I always try to do it when DH is around to watch the kids so I can go and do it quickly on my own.  I suggest you have your DH try it on his own sometime and then see how he feels about it.
    imageimageimage
  • imageRaffes484:
    You're both right. It is doable, but it would definitely be easier and faster if you left the kids at home with DH.

This.

• imageRaffes484:

This, I went shopping with them most of the time, but if I could leave them home I did.  Once I hit #4 I couldn't do it myself anymore... the number of kids, AND the amount of groceries we needed to buy.  Now we do a monthly shopping at BJ's and the whole family goes.  If we need something in between one of us with stop at the store on the way home.

Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • It depends on the weather & size of the grocery list! If you are doing a full weeks worth of shopping be ready with list and snacks or things to do for the kids....an extra chart at the end to pull behind you b/c all our stuff wouldn't fit in a chart with a new born carrier and your 1st born.

If you are running in for a few things it does get everyone out of the house so that is easy. If someone doesn't go to the bathroom in the store! 

If it's freezing out you have coats, mitten and hats to lose and have to pick up off the dirty grocery floor. If it's raining I DID NOT even bother going with my 2u2 some friends of ours use Giant's "Pea Pod" food delivery or Harris Teeter food online and then you pick up same day....

Super Target or a Super Walmart is one stop shop for ALL household stuff but you have to try different trips and see what works! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Natural Miscarriage 2006

BFP March 19th! - Due Date11/25/14

• I took 2 under 1 and then 3 under 3 to the store with me...also to the zoo, amusement park, library, mall. I refuse to be tied to the house just because I have young children. I find it highly annoying when people act like they can't go anywhere just because they have a kid (or two, three, etc). Do it, and it may suck sometimes, but you find the ways to make it easiest. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"