Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How often do you take LO out?

We first took LO out (for something other than a doctor's visit) at around 2 weeks. We just went to Target across the street from our house and then home. Since then he has been on a couple of grocery trips, a couple of dinners out, church, and a little bit of shopping close to the house, but he only left the house twice a week maximum. The in-laws are in town visiting and they are not the type to sit still very long. They want to go out and about with LO everywhere. Yesterday we went and did a little shopping close to home, and went to Lowe's to pick up some paint for the house, and then he got cranky and we came home. They want to go to IKEA today, and they wanted to go to lunch beforehand too but I said only one place because it's soooo hot outside and getting him in and out of the car in this heat makes me nervous (it's 110). Then I told them we should keep him home for the next couple of days to give him a break. I just get so nervous going all over the place with him...the heat, the germs...

Am I being crazy? How often does your LO go out and where do you go? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How often do you take LO out?

• I'd say we go out at least 5 days a week, but it's usually small trips. I try to avoid going on more than one 'outing' a day, because I find it overstimulates LO and even if he's OK during it, he tends to be fussier in the evening.

If we had a really busy or really fussy day, I usually try to make the next day calmer.

• I take LO out whenever I need to go anywhere. The only thing I will modify about my schedule is when to take him out, based on the most convenient times for feeding. Sometimes I can't even do that though if it's for his appointments or my appointments. He's been out for 5-6 hours at a time easy. I can understand your concern about the heat. On a warm day here (it's Seattle so let's be real, it's never hot), I make sure to only have him in his onesie and no blanket so that he doesn't get too hot. I wouldn't say you're being crazy but short exposures to germs are what build up immunities so taking him out a little bit each day is actually good for him.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS goes out as often as I need to go somewhere. Last week we went somewhere every day, but this week I don't have plans/commitments so we may only get out once or twice. He's been all over with me--work (I had to go in a few days last week before starting my leave), Target, Walmart, restaurants, to visit friends, etc. I wouldn't be able to handle sitting at home all the time, so if there's somewhere I need or want to go, then we go.
  • when we had that type of temp i did stay close to home with my LO.  it makes me crazy to stay in the house for too long. i take a walk almost every day and he comes with me and my hubby everywhere we go. we go out usually every 2-3 days, sometimes for short periods of time and sometimes for most of the day. whenever we go out somewhere very pulbic, like the mall, i make sure to wash my hands or use sanitizer before i pick up my son. i want him to be used to going out as we live acitve lives.
  • imagehepcats:
    I take LO out whenever I need to go anywhere. The only thing I will modify about my schedule is when to take him out, based on the most convenient times for feeding. Sometimes I can't even do that though if it's for his appointments or my appointments. He's been out for 5-6 hours at a time easy. I can understand your concern about the heat. On a warm day here (it's Seattle so let's be real, it's never hot), I make sure to only have him in his onesie and no blanket so that he doesn't get too hot. I wouldn't say you're being crazy but short exposures to germs are what build up immunities so taking him out a little bit each day is actually good for him.

I know you have a preemie, and although DS is not a preemie he has always been (and still is) on the small side. People think he is a preemie, but he was born at 39 weeks. I feel like people look at us like we are crazy having such a tiny baby out shopping and what not (they never believe he is a month old).  

• imageangiekillaire:
    when we had that type of temp i did stay close to home with my LO.  it makes me crazy to stay in the house for too long. i take a walk almost every day and he comes with me and my hubby everywhere we go. we go out usually every 2-3 days, sometimes for short periods of time and sometimes for most of the day. whenever we go out somewhere very pulbic, like the mall, i make sure to wash my hands or use sanitizer before i pick up my son. i want him to be used to going out as we live acitve lives.

This is kind of how I feel. We were always very active people before he arrived, and I want him to be okay going out and being busy. I do use hand sanitizer, etc. when we are out before I touch him. The heat issue is hard because of where we live (PHX). We have temps over 100 for 5 or 6 months out of the year. I guess he has to get used to it since he lives here, but while he is so small I get nervous.  

• I've started taking DD out more often but at first we stayed close to home -- I'm in Memphis and the weather has been dangerously hot here. Her first week and a half we were in the process of moving (and we'll be moving again this weekend) so she was out and about the majority of the day.

Bria - Born 7/20/2011 - 2 yrs old

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I like one outing a day for DS, until he has had more vaccinations, etc...I am also in AZ so I understand the heat!  We stay home a lot due to the car getting so hot, I also have DD who is almost 3 and having them both in the back seat in over 100 degree temp is tough for them!  We do lots of art projects!
  • I am the same way I take my LO out whenever I need to run an errand. You need to get out of the house sometimes so you don't go insane! But I do also notice that he gets over stimulated and will be extra fussy if we do too much. I think what you are doing is ok (as long as he is ok) just make sure when you are picking him up and moving him around you make sure your hands are clean. (As well as everyone else who touches him) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I feel like we have been home more than usual since DD's arrival, but I have two other kids (ages 4 and 2) so it is not as easy as getting a baby in the carseat and heading out to the mall (or whatever).  We get out when we need to but we stay home a lot too.  I'm ok with that :) 
  • I take DS out almost daily, but the trips are normally short and direct (I no longer stop at Starbucks).   I have found that he does best in the morning, so that is when I try to take him.

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• I take my kids out every day and have since my 10 week old was 5 days old.  Keep in mind that I also have a 2.5 year old.  We go for walks all the time, to the park, Target, grocery store, zoo,etc.  Just make sure you use the regular precautions with germs (like no playing pass the baby with obviously sick people,etc) and make sure you LO is dressed appropriately for the weather.  However, if you aren't comfortable taking your LO out all the time, don't let anyone pressure you into doing so.

old bumpie, new name ds1 3/2009 ds2 6/2011
  • imagelauros7776:

I take my kids out every day and have since my 10 week old was 5 days old.  Keep in mind that I also have a 2.5 year old.  We go for walks all the time, to the park, Target, grocery store, zoo,etc.  Just make sure you use the regular precautions with germs (like no playing pass the baby with obviously sick people,etc) and make sure you LO is dressed appropriately for the weather.  However, if you aren't comfortable taking your LO out all the time, don't let anyone pressure you into doing so.

This, but I have a 1 yr old.  She needs to be out and I need her to for my sanity.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • I don't take DS out as often as everyone else seems to. If I need to go somewhere, I'll usually wait until DH is home. We take him to MIL and my dad's house but they come here more often than we go there. I just don't want to bring him out in the heat, and if I'm just running to the store, it seems like such a hassle. I like to get in and out lol

• I take DD2 with me when I want/need to, and leave DD1 with DH (he's been on vacation).  Unfortunately we live in the boonies and there's nowhere to go 'cept walmart and the grocery store.  It's 1 1/2 hours to the nearest Target :sob::

If we lived in the city I'd take her out a lot more.  I used to take DD out all the time, and just nurse in the parking lot before going in the store.   

• A couple times per week at least. She goes where I go. I have/want to do stuff or I'd be out of my mind!

She also spends a lot of time with me outside as long as it's not too hot.

• Anywhere I go, she goes.  We go out somewhere at least once a day because I've found that she naps/sleeps that night better if we do.  But she's literally gone everywhere since about 2 weeks.  I think she's adjusted at this point beacuse she can sleep anywhere if she gets tired.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekas80:
    Anywhere I go, she goes.  We go out somewhere at least once a day because I've found that she naps/sleeps that night better if we do.  But she's literally gone everywhere since about 2 weeks.  I think she's adjusted at this point beacuse she can sleep anywhere if she gets tired.

This, even though one or two days a week it might only be going for a walk with the dog.  He can sleep anywhere, and he is happy/sleeps in both the car and the stroller.  DH just finished a week of nightshifts, so LO and I went out everyday for a bit to give us a break from tiptoeing around the house while he slept.

~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm jealous of all you moms who take the LOs out with you!  My LO cries all the time and hates the car that I can't take him anywhere except to the dr's.  When it is nice outside, I take him out in the backyard but that's about it.  I look forward to the day I can take him shopping with me and get out of the house.
  • I'm not really a shopper, so LO and I have been staying home for the most part because of the Florida heat. I take her for walks around our neighborhood or the park in her stroller or a baby carrier in the evenings, but other than that, it's too hot to do outdoors activities and that's what I'd be doing if we could go anywhere.

DH and I take turns with errands, like grocery shopping, b/c we can get it over with much quicker rather than bringing DD with us. 

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • one or two times a week.  LO is still eating every 2 hrs and its hard to feed him and get anywhere and back home before he needs to be fed again.
  • During my maternity leave, we went somewhere almost every day. I am NOT a SAH person, and it's been too hot to just sit outside. I would go turn the car on and get it cooled off, and then head out. I always made sure to park in the shade and kept the door of the van open to help cool it off before headed home. I also keep him in just a onsie and socks (because stores/restaurants are almost always cold), no blanket, pants, etc...

Now he's at daycare, and I try to stop before picking him up... but only because he doesn't like his carseat. If we need to go to the store, DH and I go together so one of us can wear him in the wrap (or just carry him depending on how quick the trip is).

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • All the time! We go for a walk every morning after his first feeding of the day. We run errands together (grocery store, post office, bank, etc), we go to the beach at least 2 times a week in the afternoon. Basically, wherever I go, he goes. Initially I was panicky about bringing him out so much, but honestly, it's been great for both of us. I also was a bit nervous about him being fussy in public - and my husband STILL has a tendency to be nervous about it, but I got over it and have figured out ways to calm him down when we're out and about. I was feeling like a shut-in when I was confining myself to the house. But now that we're going on "adventures" we're loving every second!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I took DS out almost every single day I was on maternity leave, starting when he was 4 days old.  I would die if I had to stay in.  He'll be fine.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• Baby is 5 weeks old and I go out pretty much every day for errands or to work a few hours. As far as germs, I only let the kids at DD's preschool touch baby's feet, as they are easily washed. Adults can hold her if they've washed, and ambient germs.....well, you can't do much about them, anyway!

If your LO gets cranky/fussy/sweaty while out and about, then I'd reduce the outings. Other than that, I do my usual routine and bring her along.  

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
    221_-6_Little Charlotte is.png" alt="baby" border="0" />
  • Like PP, I take LO out everyday, but the occasion varies.  Sometimes it's just for a Target, Starbucks, or bank run, other times it's a day of visiting friends, family, or walking around the outside mall (weather permitting).  I've always been a very active person and I'm now a single mother, so LO goes where I go.  She has learned to love going for rides, being out and seeing new scenery, and can also fall asleep anywhere with any noise! But days where we've been out for most the day I get a little anxious and feel the need to go home and take is easy the next day. I think it all depends on how you feel, everyone has a different comfort level with exposing their children to different places and germs.
    Merry Christmas image image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We stay home as much as possible.  I'm really paranoid about germs.  I do have a 3 year old though so we can't stay home all the time.  Luckily we have a lot of family close by to help entertain my older son and take him places so I can stay home with the baby.  We have gone to family functions and out to lunch and dinner a few times.  I haven't had to take him to the grocery store or any other big stores yet.  I wait until DH is home to go shopping.  I'm waiting until he has his 2 month vaccinations to take him out more.

• imagegenekelly:
    one or two times a week.  LO is still eating every 2 hrs and its hard to feed him and get anywhere and back home before he needs to be fed again.
    th
  • Every day.  We go for a walk in the morning in the moby to get a coffee or to the store, then usually a walk in the evening as well.  I'm in Seattle and the temps are mild, though.  It would be really hard if it was hot b/c LO only wants to be in the car if someone is sitting next to her and letting her suck on their finger.  I'm not afraid of germs, but even here LO will start to overheat sometimes.

DH also has some time off right now so we've been camping in our camper van since she was 3 weeks old.  We both go stir crazy if we're not doing something.

• I try to limit LO's outings right now.  We usually go somewhere twice a week.  If we spend a long time away from home she seems to be cranky for the rest of the day/night.  We made the mistake of being at a dinner party too long with her (didn't get home until around 9:00 p.m.) so she didn't sleep so well that night. I think it's important to take them out but not to over do it.

• We do everyday as well from day one.  It's good to get them aware of life happening.  I am breastfeeding as well so don't think that should ever stop you. :-)
  • During DD's first week at home, we stayed in the entire time, and I was so stir crazy. I'm not used to sitting still. My Mom suggested that I get out of the house at least once a day even if it is just for a walk around the block. It was great advice. We make a trip, usually fairly short, at least once a day - Target, bank, visit friends and family, groceries, walk in the neighborhood, etc. The only exception has been 100+ weather or pouring rain. The more we get out, the easier it becomes. The first few times, the trips were very brief, but now we are better at getting out and about. I am still picky about germs, make people wash their hands, choosy in the places we go, etc. If we have a big day out, we will definitely take it easy the next day. DH and I are very active people with busy lifestyles, so LO needs to get used to being on the go, and she has. On days when we stay in, she gets as antsy as we do. Practice makes perfect. Start small.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"