Baby Names
Options

This should be in the baby names FAQ/Sticky note

Something about researching the meanings of last names you are considering as first names. From the most basic notion of what the actual last name means historically (like Cohen) to famous people who are immediately associated with that name. For example, I would be pretty surprised to meet a kid named Trotsky whose parents had no idea what happened during the Russian Revolution or a kid named Kennedy whose parents were staunch Republicans and hated Irish Catholics.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: This should be in the baby names FAQ/Sticky note

• Options

That's a great idea! Behind the name has a Surname page...

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • Options
    I feel like Cohen has to be explained weekly on here. It should get it's own section! Who are the women who are offended by the use of the name? They'd be good people to write it, as they know the history much better than I do. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Whaddaya mean I can't name my kid Hittler?  It's a totally different spelling.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageHannahO28:
    I feel like Cohen has to be explained weekly on here. It should get it's own section! Who are the women who are offended by the use of the name? They'd be good people to write it, as they know the history much better than I do. 

I was thinking this too.  I have been curious with that name makes people get so upset/offended.

*BFP 11/3/07*J born 07/06/08*
    *BFP 10/15/11*CP 10/18/11*
    *BFP 2/1/12*EDD 10/14/12*natural M/C 2/24/12 7w*
    *BFP 5/2/12*E born 01/03/13 (her due date)
  • Options
    imagekygirlie113:

imageHannahO28:

I was thinking this too.  I have been curious with that name makes people get so upset/offended.

I googled "why not to use Cohen as a first name" and came up with this:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/05/05/the-big-baby-naming-battle.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I love this name. So, I refuse to click on the link. I will remain in denial and this will stay on my list of names I love!
  • Options
    Great idea, Anna!
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"