Baby Names

my friend just named her baby...

Nixon Grey - I think its cute!
imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: my friend just named her baby...

• Nixon is different.

I first thought of President Nixon.

It's a kinda cute name. =] 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • No

Nixon is not an association i would wnt my child having

• Loading the player...
  • imagemagsugar13:

No

This was my thought.  While I don't think its a bad name, it's just a bad association.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am soooo over the presidential naming trend. And this one is pretty bad. 
  • It's a bit too Watergate for me, but it's not dreadful. I like Grey a lot!

• I know a fellow Dec/Jan momma who named her son Nixon too. I don't care for it.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Oh geez that's worse than I was expecting it to be.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Really? I don't think it's bad at all! Not my style at all, but I definitely don't think it's horrible!
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • You think it is cute to name a child after a president who resigned in disgrace?  OK.
  • imagejuniper19:
    You think it is cute to name a child after a president who resigned in disgrace?  OK.
    No, but I think it's a cute name. I doubt very much that they sat down one night over a cup of tea and said, "hey, want to name our son in memory of Richard Nixon?!". They like the name, and they, like I, don't associate it with him. OK.
  • imageHiggyFan42:
    imagemagsugar13:

No

This was my thought.  While I don't think its a bad name, it's just a bad association.

I have to agree. Sorry.

~ Married 14 years and counting ~
    Chandler 11/2000 ~ Bronwyn 6/2002 ~ Grayson 3/2010 ~ Matilda/Till 6/2012
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    BFP 10/20/11 ::sticky dust::
    BFP 9/11/11 - m/c 9/25/11 5w5d
  • imageddelo23:
    imagejuniper19:
    You think it is cute to name a child after a president who resigned in disgrace?  OK.
    No, but I think it's a cute name. I doubt very much that they sat down one night over a cup of tea and said, "hey, want to name our son in memory of Richard Nixon?!". They like the name, and they, like I, don't associate it with him. OK.

Well, you and your friend seem to be in the minority. OK.

• My lip literally curled at that. Awful. Terrible. I'm sure the baby is cute, but the name is not.

• imagemagsugar13:

imageddelo23:
    imagejuniper19:

Well, you and your friend seem to be in the minority. OK.

Apparently. Oh well! At least he's cute, right?
  • imageddelo23:
    imagejuniper19:

Richard Nixon wasn't your first thought when you heard the name? I find that really surprising.  

• Geez.... tough crowd!

I happen to think Nixon is a fine name. And I didn't even think of president Nixon until I started reading the comments.... 

• Sweet, I'm gonna name my boy Taft.  Or maybe Fillmore.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageames17:

imageddelo23:
    imagejuniper19:

Richard Nixon wasn't your first thought when you heard the name? I find that really surprising.  

Honestly...no. Obviously I'm one of the only ones who doesn't. I still think it's a cute name, though I wouldn't use it for my child.
  • imagejuniper19:

Eh, some people quite like President Nixon. If someone wanted to name their child Clinton would you say, "After a President who was impeached?!"

It's a fairly common last name. NMS, as I don't like last names as first names, but there are definitely worse things you could be associated with.

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • imagesagoon:
    Sweet, I'm gonna name my boy Taft.  Or maybe Fillmore.

I actually had a friend named Taft back in grade school. It has happened. He was awesome, though, so his parents knew how to raise kids (if not how to name them). 

• imagesagoon:
    Sweet, I'm gonna name my boy Taft.  Or maybe Fillmore.
    Sweet, dude!! Not my style, but go for it!
  • yuck. sorry.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love Grey!
    Married since 06.14.2009 Mom since 07.12.2010 Expecting #2 01.04.2012 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Just waiting for little Eisenhower's to show up.

Sorry, OP, I think it's bad. 

• I can't decide how I feel about Nixon, but I love Grey! Smile
    Expecting our first! BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have never heard it before, but it is cute 
  • imageddelo23:
    imagejuniper19:

No. But they probably should have thought about that association. It's not a good one.  Sorry. Bad name.  Grey is cute though. 

• imagetahoe7607:

I happen to think Nixon is a fine name. And I didn't even think of president Nixon until I started reading the comments.... 

This.

I actually associated the name with the New York Knicks basketball team until I saw the comments about Richard Nixon. 

TTCAL PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • imagemagsugar13:

No

Same here.  And I don't think the name sounds that nice either. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • imageHiggyFan42:
    imagemagsugar13:

No

Same. Ughh
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• What else would you think of besides Pres. Nixon? It might be cool if it was the mom's maiden name or a family name or something, but the only reason the name "Nixon" is in America's vocabulary is because of the president by that name

I strongly dislike Nixon, but the middle name is super cute 

• I've never heard it before but I actually really like it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think it's bad, but it's NMS. Nixon Grey does sound like a cute guilty pleasure name I would have but would never use.

B.R.C. 5/08-- N.R.C. 5/10--S.R.C. 3/14
  • I'm for it! At least there won't be 10 Nixon's in his kinder class.
  • I like it. However I don't live in the US so the president association wouldn't be an issue here. My first thought was of the watches, I've got 2 Nixon watches :) One of my friends has a young baby Nixon John.
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • imageddelo23:

If she is such a good friend, posting her baby's easily recognizable name on a national message board where chances are she has friends who post regularly, or may post here herself, so people can comment on it, is pretty rude, dontcha think?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hate Nixon. Hate Grey.  I need an emoticon for wrinkling one's nose.

My DH said is sounds like a fine tea. Or a Horse.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageHannahO28:
    I am soooo over the presidential naming trend. And this one is pretty bad. 

Yes 

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageAfterAll:

imageddelo23:

If she is such a good friend, posting her baby's easily recognizable name on a national message board where chances are she has friends who post regularly, or may post here herself, so people can comment on it, is pretty rude, dontcha think?

Nope - I'm pretty sure she wouldn't give a rats arse if I posted it or not.  But thanks for your genuine care in the matter. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"