Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Name regret

Yes, I posted on the stupid name board here in my last tri.  Now every day I say my son's name and get mad that I listened to those posts.  I wanted "Maxim" with the nickname "Max" and everyone said they thought of the magazine when they saw it. 

So when the time came, my husband and I went with our roots and spelled the name in the Eastern European form "Maksim."  I really loved "Max" and now I get mad when I write "Maks." 

I really wish I had kept the name to myself and not given a rat's bottom about what anyone thought of the name.  We didn't tell family and friends because we didn't want to hear criticism, but I couldn't contain my anxiety.  Now, I am sad.

(Oh, and I can't STAND when people make me repeat his name.  No, it is NOT Maxine.  That is a girl's name!)

Make me feel better.  Does anyone else have a name regret?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Name regret

• I don't see why you can't still use "Max" as the nickname. It's just a nickname.
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • Why don't you change it? It's not that bad of a name though, and maks is a cool nickname.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would just call him Max...I don't think the nickname needs to the follow European spelling of his full name. But I don't always follow those kind of rules. My lo is just named Max.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • my sons name is braylon. i always get " oh thats different" or " what an unusual name" or something like that. and i also get " what was that again..." people either love it or hate it, and you can tell by the tone of there voice which it is.   i love my sons name and don't care what anyone else thinks. why don't u use max as his short form?
  • My friend (who is french) named his son Maxime. I like it (with the 'e' or without)! It isnt too late to change his name, is it?

Either way I agree with the other posters; it's not like you can't spell the nickname however you want to. Spell it Max if you want. 

Bria - Born 7/20/2011 - 2 yrs old

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Changing the name is a huge hassle and I've been told it can be expensive.  I love the reasoning for our spelling it the way we did. I am just trying to love it "in action" the way I did before he was born.
  • imagesangarepa:
    Changing the name is a huge hassle and I've been told it can be expensive.  I love the reasoning for our spelling it the way we did. I am just trying to love it "in action" the way I did before he was born.

Your baby's name is filed in two places. Birth certificate (about $100 to change) and social security...free to change. What hassle and cost are you referring to?

• Our son's name is Maverick. People either think it's really cool and masculine or we hear Top Gun jokes, especially since my husband is a pilot. Either way, it doesn't matter what other people think. He is your child and you like the name. That's all that matters.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FWIW, I like the name! Sure, some company decided to use it as the name of their magazine but that doesn't mean it's not a good name. I know a young Maksim IRL too.
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • I agree you can still use the nn Max.

I don't regret Halle's name, but I am really annoyed by how many people prounouce it "Hayley."  I didn't think it would be an issue.  There are not multiple pronounciations for Halle.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I believe you have to have a court order to change the birth certificate.
  • imagesangarepa:
    I believe you have to have a court order to change the birth certificate.

Do you think some one is going to argue the name change with you and it will go to trial or something? Its just forms. You obviously don't really want to do anything, you just made this post so people will tell you they like the name.

• I love the way you spelled it too. This is why I went 9 rounds with my DH over not telling friends and family the names we were considering. I really didn't want to hear anyone else's opinion. 
  • I used to work for birth certificates and in the state of Florida, you can change your baby's name without a court order until they reach 1 year of age. I'd change it if I had regrets!
  • My parents changed my brother's name and it wasn't a big deal.  That was 27 years ago so I'm sure things have changed, but if you aren't happy I would do it now and just get it over with.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Sorry, but I'm a little confused.  I feel like on the one hand you love the traditional spelling of Maksim which honors your heritage.  But you don't like spelling his NN Maks?  So why spell it Maks?  As PP said, his given name is only on two official documents, so why don't you spell it Max everywhere else?  I think it's totally fine to have a traditional family name on official docs and an easy-to-spell NN for people you deal with day-to-day.  
  • We named our son Tyce and always have to repeat his name when asked. Sometimes we even spell it. I hate that but I do love his name.

Regarding the nickname Maks (which I like BTW) - just use Max if you want. My name is Melissa and my nickname is Mo... no correlation at all.. LOL.  Smile

• imagearuiz1982:

imagesangarepa:

Do you think some one is going to argue the name change with you and it will go to trial or something? Its just forms. You obviously don't really want to do anything, you just made this post so people will tell you they like the name.

For the win!

I see nothing wrong with calling him Max. It's a NN, FFS. You can call him "John", and spell it "Frank" if you want.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• imagering_pop:
    I don't see why you can't still use "Max" as the nickname. It's just a nickname.

Yes 

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • imagecvl105:

imagering_pop:
    I don't see why you can't still use "Max" as the nickname. It's just a nickname.

Yes 

I agree with this!

• imageITeachK:

I agree you can still use the nn Max.

I don't regret Halle's name, but I am really annoyed by how many people prounouce it "Hayley."  I didn't think it would be an issue.  There are not multiple pronounciations for Halle.

Actually my first year of teaching, I had a Halle that pronounced it "Hayley". It drove me nuts. I also had a Joaquin who pronounced the J and a Ciara who pronounced it "Key-AIR-ah" (that is exactly how she told people when they said it "wrong"). 

OP I would just spell it Max. Lots of nicknames don't "go" with the full name spelling. Most Tom's don't go by Thom, for example.  

• imagearuiz1982:

imagesangarepa:

It can vary by state. In my state (NY), we would have to go to court. Where my aunt lives (MN) there are a couple forms and that is it. I found this out when I wanted to drop my maiden and last name and go back to my original middle name when I got married (I was adopted at age 8 and my birth certificate dropped my original MN, making my old last name my middle name). My aunt could have changed her entire name upon her marriage with no issues at all. 

• imageFyshWyfe:
    Sorry, but I'm a little confused.  I feel like on the one hand you love the traditional spelling of Maksim which honors your heritage.  But you don't like spelling his NN Maks?  So why spell it Maks?  As PP said, his given name is only on two official documents, so why don't you spell it Max everywhere else?  I think it's totally fine to have a traditional family name on official docs and an easy-to-spell NN for people you deal with day-to-day.  

Go ahead and spell it MAX for nicknames.  DD's name is Giuliana, but her nn is Jules.  Only 2 letters are the same and I really don't care.

But I did get frustrated when a nurse called her Goo-liana yesterday instead of

Jew-liana. 

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I posted this a few weeks ago.  Atleast it's still the same name, only a different spelling.  Our DSs name is Brandon and we don't think it fits him at ALL!  But, we can't even think of another name that does!  DH chose Brandon bc I had chosen the girls name if that's what we were going to have.

Anniversary

• Call your state's birth certificate ( vital records?) office and see if you can change it on the birth certificate. In GA you can change or correct baby's name one time up until the day before they turn one. I changed my daughter's first name when she was 10 weeks old because no one was saying it right reading it right or hearing me right. Life is hard enough, make the name easy.
  • I do birth certificates for MA, it does vary state to state as to when or if you can change the name.  If MA you can change the first or middle names if you have them baptisized, otherwise you would have to do a legal name change, but that will never change the birth certificate--the child would always have two pieces of paper. 

• If you really don't like the name, change it NOW. The sooner the better.

Regarding the NN, lots of Jonathan go by John, not Jon. Spell his NN Max. My great uncle was Frank and they called him Gus. 

I had a friend who really wanted to name her daughter Ever, but everyone told her it was weird. She went with her second choice and still regrets it, especially since some celebrity recently named her baby girl Ever. 

• It really doesn't matter what you want as a nickname or how you spell it...

Once he gets into school...all bets are off and his friends will call him what HE wants...

My DD's nickname is P...imagine the teasing she will go through!!!  OH WELL...

• Lurker chiming in: This is just silly. My name is Candice. Everyone calls me Candi. But a friend who is also Candice spells is Candy. No Y in her name. No one argues with her or anything. I two friends named Jennifer. One spells her nick name Jen and the other Jenn. Neither is "correct". Nicknames do not have to have the exact same letters. 
  • There is no reason why you can't spell his name "Max".  People spell the nickname of their children different all the time.   example:  Caitlyn...Katie   Victoria....Tory (instead of 'i")    When he gets older, his friends would probably make it "Max" anyway:)
  • I can relate to how you feel.  We named our daughter Evelyn, which is actually after my grandmother, but DH was the one who desperately wanted it.  6 months in and I still really am not used to it or in love with it.  I'm not even sure it fits, but it's definitely stuck :).  For a nickname we call her Evie and pronounce it Eee-vee.  It doesn't flow from her name at all - if it did, it would be Ev-ee and I'm always correcting people.  I totally agree with other posters that you should use "Max" as a short form if you want to.  Don't worry about having to tell people that you're changing the way you spell his nickname.  My mom changed the spelling of my name when I was 4 months old, had to mail all family and friends about it and no one even remembers it 30 years later :).  In terms of nicknames flowing from formal names, in my family they never fit the formal name.  My grandmother was Margaret, but everyone called her "Madge" and my Aunt Mary-Susan is called "Molly".  My Uncle Patrick is "Paddy" and there are no "D's" in his formal name.  Can you tell we are IRISH? hahaha
  • If this is your first baby, trust me when I say, you will need thick skin during parenting. Do what YOU want and don't worry about anyone else. You are the parent and you will run into this many many times. Just wait till he starts school! Better to be confident in your decisions. This will teach him not to care about what other people think! Good luck to you :) BTW, I think his name is adorable either way :)
  • imagering_pop:

Yes 

• imagering_pop:

This. Its just a nickname spell it however you like.

• I'd use Max and tell everyone to mind their own business and pretend Maks didn't exist. Then you won't have to repeat it and get mad about it! I like his name because it's spelled less common!

I was going to call my little man Hunter but kept hearing that everywhere. We changed it but I'm glad we did. Sorry you're not totally happy.

• Growing up I always wanted to give my child his/her own name and not name him/her after anyone. I always felt like it would give them their own independence. After getting pregnant with my 1st child, a boy named Carsyn, I wanted to give him my father's name as his middle name. However, my husband wanted to name him after him of course. I was being stubborn at the time and decided that if I couldn't name him after my dad that I wasn't naming him after anyone. I really do like the name we chose, Carsyn Vincent, but looking back I wish I would've given him 2 middle names, the first one being his father's name and the second being my father's name. My dad never had a son and naturally I think my dad is so wonderful that he deserves to have his 1st grandson named after him. I feel guilty sometimes and I hate to think about my father being disappointed. However, I don't want my son to ever think that I'm not happy with his name so I guess it's a regret I'll have to keep to myself.
  • My daughters name is Alayna and for short we just call her Aly its missing the "a" between the "l" and "y" but its just a nickname. I understand what your saying tho, if it bugs you a lot just do the name change. I get annoyed when they say it wrong at the Doctors office they always mess it up. But the truth is there are is so many names out there for everyone to get it perfect every time they say our babys name. A lot of people ask me "oh did u get it from the vampire diaries?" im just like "ugh no i didnt even know that show till now that u mention it". Everyone will have a say in it. At the end of the day its your kid you call him what you want. :D
  • I say just use the nickname Max.  My husband's name is Sinclair but when he goes by his nickname it is Syn.  I don't think it's a big deal for the nickname to have a different spelling. 

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• I work with a man named Maksim and he goes by Max, no worries at all. Maks is cool too.   He is from Russia.  I don't think you made a bad decision!
  • In late, sorry. :( Anyways, I do think you can change a baby's name in the first year of life pretty easily. I read an article on it a while ago, but it can be done. Look up what to do in you state. There are plenty of articles online. I hope I helped you! :D 

And while Maxim is the name of the magazine, names come from somewhere. He will probably be Max his whole life anyways, and you're the mom. :D 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"