1st Trimester

Has anyone else been through this??

Hi everyone! Sorry if this is longer...My DH and I have just started trying to conceive. I have been off of birth control pills for little over a month. According to how my periods went when I was on the pill, I figured out my ovulation time and kept this in mind.

If I guessed correctly, I should be about 23dpo. I have been having what I would believe to be pregnancy symptoms but have had 5 or 6 negative pregnancy tests. (A couple ClearBlue Digital, a couple dollar store, and a couple Equate brands.) I have yet to start my period and around the time I was supposed to, I had a brownish discharge. I've had some cramping, have been slightly more tired lately, but nothing near exhaustion. My nipples have been sore for the past couple of days but the sensitivity has seemed to calm down.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it possible I'm just having these symptoms because I haven't been off the pill that long? I mean, I "feel" like I may be pregnant. Or am I imagining them because I have never wanted anything so badly? :)

I would LOVE some feedback. Thanks guys!

Re: Has anyone else been through this??

• It's really hard to say, but it often takes a few months for your body to get into a "normal" cycle after going off the pill. This is often why docs don't recommend TTC until after at least 3 months of being off the pill.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • anything is possible a friend of mine is about to have he first baby and she got pregnant not even a month after stoping her BC! GL to you

• Loading the player...
  • I had 3 negative home tests before I got my positive test.  You could be preg, but might not be as far along as you thought.  It takes a while for your hormone levels to get high enough to show up on that second line.  Retest in a few days if you don't get your period.

Also, not to spoil the excitement, but if you JUST got off the pill, you might not be regulated again just yet and possibly didn't O at all...not what you want to hear but still a possibility. 

• Your cycle on the pill has no correlation to your cycle off it.  When I went off the pill I realized I didn't ovulate at all.  Had to be put on Clomid to kick start ovulation.  The only way to know for sure is with blood work.
  • imagetropicalpeach23:
    Hi everyone! Sorry if this is longer...My DH and I have just started trying to conceive. I have been off of birth control pills for little over a month. It can take SEVERAL months to get your cycle back to normal after stopping the pill! Then up to a year for a healthy couple to conceive a child!According to how my periods went when I was on the pill, I figured out my ovulation time and kept this in mind. When you were on the pill you DIDN'T OVULATE, the cycle you had was from the pill. Like I said it may take a while for your normal cycle to restart! If I guessed correctly, I should be about 23dpo. I have been having what I would believe to be pregnancy symptoms but have had 5 or 6 negative pregnancy tests. If you were 23 dpo you would have a clear positive test!  (A couple ClearBlue Digital, a couple dollar store, and a couple Equate brands.) I have yet to start my period and around the time I was supposed to, I had a brownish discharge. I've had some cramping, have been slightly more tired lately, but nothing near exhaustion. My nipples have been sore for the past couple of days but the sensitivity has seemed to calm down.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it possible I'm just having these symptoms because I haven't been off the pill that long? I mean, I "feel" like I may be pregnant. Or am I imagining them because I have never wanted anything so badly? :)I think your symptoms are that of PMS. You should call your OB tell her/him that you haven't had a period and that you are thinking about TTC. Get an exam then go buy the book Taking Charge of your Fertility. LEARN ABOUT YOUR BODY! I hope you get pregnant soon best of luck :)

https://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Reproductive/dp/0060937645

I would LOVE some feedback. Thanks guys!

2004- DX with PCOS

6/2011- Gonal-F + Ganirelix + Oviderl and Crinone= BFP

7/7/2011 Beta #1 119 Beta #2 563 Beta#3 4178

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

http://tinypic.com/r/25z7709/8

• imagebethios:
    Your cycle on the pill has no correlation to your cycle off it.  When I went off the pill I realized I didn't ovulate at all.  Had to be put on Clomid to kick start ovulation.  The only way to know for sure is with blood work.

Yes, unfortunately your pill "period" is not a true period because you are not ovulating.  I came off the pill at the end of May (never got that period that should've come immediately) and my period came back at the end of June.  I was thankful to regulate quickly, but I know people who've needed 10 months (they didn't use Clomid).  Keep testing.  My OB told me that if I went 60 days without a period (and without being pregnant) to call and get my cycle jump-started.  GL!

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• This has happened to me - twice.  The first time was with my DD.  I went off of BC, tested when I thouhgt I should and my tests were negative.  Still felt like I was pg, waited a week and tested again - Positive!  I just ovulated late due to going off of the pill.  Now fast forward to this past June.  Went off of my BC, tested when I thought I should and my tests were negative.  Waited a week and tested again (reliving the past) and tests were still negative.  BUT I still knew something was different.  Waited yet another week and tested - Positive.  You just never know how your cycle is going to be after stopping the pill.  I say wait it out a little longer and keep testing.  If you go past a month and you still have no period and are still getting negative tests, call your doc. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hey Peach,

This is my first pregnancy but the first thing that I noticed was that my boobs were extremely sore from pretty much day one. After about 3-3.5 weeks I took a dollar store preg test which came up negative. Then probably 3-5 days before I should've started my period I took a first response test and it came up positive. The pack had two tests; one was the general line test and the second is a digital with yes or no. They both came up positive and it was only maybe 2 days after the dollar store test said no. 

I think if you really wanna be sure then make an appointment with your pcp and get a blood test. If your not the best way to figure out your ovulation is to buy a first response ovulation test. I believe its like 7 or 10 days worth of tests that'll tell you exactly when your ovulating.

Good luck hun!  

• imagebethios:
    Your cycle on the pill has no correlation to your cycle off it.  When I went off the pill I realized I didn't ovulate at all.  Had to be put on Clomid to kick start ovulation.  The only way to know for sure is with blood work.

Clomid doesn't KICK START ovulation!!

Clomid is  It is used mainly in female infertility, in turn mainly as ovarian stimulation to reverse oligoovulation or anovulation such as in infertility in polycystic ovary syndrome.

Infertility: Not being able to get pregnant after 12mths of actively trying!

2004- DX with PCOS

• imagebethios:

Clomid is  It is used mainly in female infertility, in turn mainly as ovarian stimulation to reverse oligoovulation or anovulation such as in infertility in polycystic ovary syndrome.

2004- DX with PCOS

• It took us 9 months to get pregnant with my DS after I came off BC, and doc at the time said that's perfectly normal. He also said that the first few months would be hard to chart due to my body trying to get back to itself.  Good luck, it just takes time for BC to get out of your system. 
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP-4/3/11 Natural m/c 4/26/11 @ 7wks 3days BFP- 8/3/11 9week u/s no heartbeat, baby measured 8 weeks D&C 9/16/11
  • imageJennPierog:

imagebethios:

Not to play devil's advocate, BUT

It does state in your definition that Clomid is mainly used for ovarian stimulation to reverse anovulation....aka, jump start ovulation when there wasn't any to begin with. Just sayin'!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelraymeremtp:
    imageJennPierog:

imagebethios:

It does state in your definition that Clomid is mainly used for ovarian stimulation to reverse anovulation....aka, jump start ovulation when there wasn't any to begin with. Just sayin'!

TRUE, my point was it's not used to "jump start ovulation" after a few mths of being off the pill. It is used to treat the diagnosis of  anovulation not cure it and cause spontaneous ovulation. Sorry I was not more clear

2004- DX with PCOS

• imageJennPierog:
    imagelraymeremtp:
    imageJennPierog:

TRUE, my point was it's not used to "jump start ovulation" after a few mths of being off the pill. It is used to treat the diagnosis of  anovulation not cure it and cause spontaneous ovulation. Sorry I was not more clear

It's all good, I was just being a PITA because I could, I understand! :)

• imagelraymeremtp:
    imageJennPierog:
    imagelraymeremtp:
    imageJennPierog:

It's all good, I was just being a PITA because I could, I understand! :)

and I'm just crazy and pregnant so its cool Wink

2004- DX with PCOS

• You can't figure out ovulation based on when you get your period.  A lot of people don't ovulate on the standard day 14.  All those symptoms could be from coming off the pill.  If you don't get a positive pregnancy test or a period after 60 days, consult your doctor.

I highly recommend going to Fertility Friend.  It is very helpful when TTC and charting is the best way to know when you actually ovulated.  They have tutorials to walk you through everything.  All you need to get started is a basal body thermometer which you can buy at any pharmacy or big box store.  I used ovulation prediction strips in conjuction with charting but you don't have too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

• My husband and I just got married at the end of June - and that's when we decided to throw away my birth control. We got back from our honeymoon and I felt a "little off" - a little more tired like you - and sore boobies. I took an at home test on July 12th which was negative. Went to see my Doc 6 days later because I thought maybe I had a urinary tract infection. Since I was about 5 or so days late on my period, I had her give me a pregnancy test and VULAH! We're PREGGO!!!!! :) Insane because I figured since I wanted to be pregnant/have kids more than anything (like you) that it would take a long time or just never happen at all - especially because I had been on birth control pills for years. But wow!!!! But if this time didn't work for you - keep trying and keep positive! Good luck!!!  

image BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • I definately felt pregnant and tested and it was negative and a week later I got my positive so I think anything is possible!! Good Luck and I really hope you get your BFP really soon!!!
  • As other people said, your period on the pill has no correlation to your period off the pill- sorry.  You don't ovulate when you're on the pill, that's the whole point of taking it.

Do you remember what your cycles were like before you went on the pill?

I always had long cycles in HS, like 35-40 days-- On birth control it came every 28 days, then I started taking the "active" pill longer and getting it every other moth.  Now, nine years later (wow that's scary), when I came off the pill I didn't get my first period until 42 days later, got pregnant before the next period.   You could be getting your period or pregnant and testing too soon based on when you ovulated.  I'd wait, if you don't get your period by day 60 call your doctor.

BabyFruit Ticker

• When I first got off the pill, I had lots of pms/pregnancy symptoms CONSTANTLY and it took a little while for my body to regulate. It took me about 2 months to ovulate again and go back to a normal cycle. We were trying to prevent and didn't actually start trying for several months later. Regardless, each month I swore I was pregnant because it was something I really wanted!
  • Thank you everyone for your stories! It has helped me feel a little better and maybe understand what may be going on. I know I just got off of the pill, but it's so nerve wracking to wait! I know you guys know this as well! I know I probably need more time but I'm just so ancy!

I know my "pill" period and my "regular" period don't correlate, but I've just read where many people have gotten pregnant just a few weeks after going off of the pill, so I didn't know whether I was ovulating or not and just figured I would take a chance and use my "pill" periods as a guide for at least the first month.

Before going on the pill, I was fairly regular...having a 28-30 day cycle, although I would have cramps so bad it would make me throw up! I don't miss those! So I also read that a lot of the time, you should go back to roughly the cycle you had before...hence me thinking that maybe I was ovulating on time.

Fingers crossed, I guess!
    Thanks again everyone!!

• This thread had so many replies that literally made me cringe.
    Sweet Baby Samson born 11.16.10
    Darling Little Sydney born 12.22.12
    Two Babies in Heaven
    My Babe, More Precious is to Me
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

~A ridiculous amount of love to all my Golden Girls!~
  • Btw I still had bad cramps after my periods regulated but not nearly as bad as my pre-pill days (I was on them for 10 years). Hopefully you will be lucky in that area too :)
  • imagetropicalpeach23:

Thank you everyone for your stories! It has helped me feel a little better and maybe understand what may be going on. I know I just got off of the pill, but it's so nerve wracking to wait! I know you guys know this as well! I know I probably need more time but I'm just so ancy!

I know my "pill" period and my "regular" period don't correlate, but I've just read where many people have gotten pregnant just a few weeks after going off of the pill, so I didn't know whether I was ovulating or not and just figured I would take a chance and use my "pill" periods as a guide for at least the first month.

Before going on the pill, I was fairly regular...having a 28-30 day cycle, although I would have cramps so bad it would make me throw up! I don't miss those! So I also read that a lot of the time, you should go back to roughly the cycle you had before...hence me thinking that maybe I was ovulating on time.

Fingers crossed, I guess!
    Thanks again everyone!!

Just because your cycle is 28-30 days doesn't mean that you ovulate on day 14.  My cycle was that length and I frequently ovulated on day 16 or 17.  You really need to chart if you want to know when you ovulate with any accuracy.

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• I was only off of the pill for a month when we concieved. We did not expect to concieve right away, due to the fact it does usually take time for you cycle to start up again regularly. My cycle came like clockwork the first month off bc, and then we concieved about 14 days later. I think it has a lot to do with your individual and partner's fertility, and your cycles prior to being on bc, at least that is what my ob/gyn said. But the only thing you can do is wait for af, or take another test in a few days. Maybe you are too early. Good luck!!

• imagemrsawtry2B:
    This has happened to me - twice.  The first time was with my DD.  I went off of BC, tested when I thouhgt I should and my tests were negative.  Still felt like I was pg, waited a week and tested again - Positive!  I just ovulated late due to going off of the pill.  Now fast forward to this past June.  Went off of my BC, tested when I thought I should and my tests were negative.  Waited a week and tested again (reliving the past) and tests were still negative.  BUT I still knew something was different.  Waited yet another week and tested - Positive.  You just never know how your cycle is going to be after stopping the pill.  I say wait it out a little longer and keep testing.  If you go past a month and you still have no period and are still getting negative tests, call your doc. 

This is me EXACTLY with both pregnancies except with this one, I had to wait 4wks to get a positive!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagerinny25:

imagemrsawtry2B:
    This has happened to me - twice.  The first time was with my DD.  I went off of BC, tested when I thouhgt I should and my tests were negative.  Still felt like I was pg, waited a week and tested again - Positive!  I just ovulated late due to going off of the pill.  Now fast forward to this past June.  Went off of my BC, tested when I thought I should and my tests were negative.  Waited a week and tested again (reliving the past) and tests were still negative.  BUT I still knew something was different.  Waited yet another week and tested - Positive.  You just never know how your cycle is going to be after stopping the pill.  I say wait it out a little longer and keep testing.  If you go past a month and you still have no period and are still getting negative tests, call your doc. 

This is me EXACTLY with both pregnancies except with this one, I had to wait 4wks to get a positive!

Both of your guys' stories are very warped. If you were actually pregnant enough to "fell pg" then you would've gotten a positive pregnancy test. So in both scenarios, you weren't pregnant when you were first testing.
    Two Babies in Heaven
    My Babe, More Precious is to Me
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

~A ridiculous amount of love to all my Golden Girls!~
  • Bump burp.
    Two Babies in Heaven