August 2011 Moms

Ok TODAY Show...Breastfeeding in Public

Did anyone else just see Savannah Guthrie compare breastfeeding in public to "going to the bathroom in public" in that last segment?  I'm not one to get easily offended.... but that seriously just pissed me off enough to email NBC and I ask you to think about doing the same.  That was totally unnecessary and inappropriate.
~Cate~ Baby Boy born 8/30/11!!

Re: Ok TODAY Show...Breastfeeding in Public

• what?!?

Americans need a change of attitude. I was on vacation in South America last year and if a woman needed to breast feed, she could pull her baby from her back while working a fruit stand in a high density area and breastfeed without anyone making a big deal. 

• What was the segment about?  I missed it, but I'd like to see if I can find it online... not good, Savannah.

Edit to attempt to sound less idiotic: Maybe this is the world's dumbest question.  Was the entire segment about BFing in public? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • It was a portion of the "Today's Professionals" segment - and they didn't spend long on it (possibly because someone with half a brain in the background realized how bad the commentary was getting).    Almost all of the comments were ignorant but that one took the cake.  
    ~Cate~ Baby Boy born 8/30/11!!
  • imagecate42807:
    Did anyone else just see Savannah Guthrie compare breastfeeding in public to "going to the bathroom in public" in that last segment?  I'm not one to get easily offended.... but that seriously just pissed me off enough to email NBC and I ask you to think about doing the same.  That was totally unnecessary and inappropriate.

>:

That is exactly why it continues to be such a taboo around here.

It's wonderful how everybody will henpeck a pregnant woman to death about the benefits of BFing, but then make it so difficult for them to actually do it while going about their lives. If it's so good for the baby, why is it such a social issue?

/vent

• A week or two ago. I read about this dumba$$ who compared breastfeeding in public to having sex in public.  You know, because breasts are purely sexual!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2017699/BBC-apologises-presenter-compares-breastfeeding-having-sex-wife-restaurant.html

Married 11/21/2009
    BFP 12/4/2010
    Baby Maryn was born 8/18/11
    image   imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I saw it and definitely rolled my eyes at that comment.  I think its absurd that people still have issues with breastfeeding in public. 

You can see more boob sitting on a beach than looking at someone breastfeed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They just teased it here, since Central time is on the one hour delayed broadcast - so if you're Central time, you haven't missed it yet.

Not having seen it yet, I won't be shocked when Star Jones, Savannah, and Donnie Whatshisface make ignorant comments, but please tell me Dr. Nancy Snyderman tells them they're idiots.

• When I was with my grandparents this weekend they said that back when they were kids people used to breastfeed everywhere. If their baby was hungry they would feed them then and there. That is when people believed in waiting to have sex until they were married, etc. Breastfeeding isn't sexy and it makes me want to punch people who think of it as anything other than feeding a baby.
  • imagemplesset23:

I saw it and definitely rolled my eyes at that comment.  I think its absurd that people still have issues with breastfeeding in public. 

You can see more boob sitting on a beach than looking at someone breastfeed. 

This exactly! How ridiculous...

• So I just saw this and googled it to find a debate on it and you all have started it already!

I was blown away by it.  I am so very annoyed by the whole little segment and her attitude toward BF'ing. 

I have half a mind to write to the Today show about it.. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • SOOOO glad to see I'm not the only one feeling this way about this rediculous segment!

And really... Donny complaining- don't bf next to his 8 year old daughter so he doesn't have to explain what you're doing... come on, be a DAD and talk to your kid.  There's so much of his and societies perspective revealed by this comment, I could write a page, but of what everyone here already knows :)

Side note: I've had many happy people when I slipped my screaming infant son under my nursing cover because their ears were met by silence. 

• imagethx2StGianna:

And really... Donny complaining- don't bf next to his 8 year old daughter so he doesn't have to explain what you're doing... come on, be a DAD and talk to your kid.  There's so much of his and societies perspective revealed by this comment, I could write a page, but of what everyone here already knows :)

I didn't watch the segment, but I never understood the whole, "What am I supposed to tell my kid?!?!" argument.  Ummmm, perhaps tell them that women's breasts produce milk for their children?  We are mammals for goodness sake!  My 3 year old knows what breastfeeding is, I'm not ashamed for her to know that.

• imageolivia_eve:
    imagethx2StGianna:

I didn't watch the segment, but I never understood the whole, "What am I supposed to tell my kid?!?!" argument.  Ummmm, perhaps tell them that women's breasts produce milk for their children?  We are mammals for goodness sake!  My 3 year old knows what breastfeeding is, I'm not ashamed for her to know that.

And I bet these people never take their kids to the zoo or anyplace else they could see animals nursing.  If they are that uptight, they don't even have to explain the details, just that it's how a baby eats.  

• imageolivia_eve:
    imagethx2StGianna:

LOL! YesYesYes

I mean, nothing's going to become normal until it's treated as such. If you act like it's a big deal, it's going to become a big deal!

• imageIove.wins:

imagecate42807:

>:

That is exactly why it continues to be such a taboo around here.

It's wonderful how everybody will henpeck a pregnant woman to death about the benefits of BFing, but then make it so difficult for them to actually do it while going about their lives. If it's so good for the baby, why is it such a social issue?

/vent

YES!

My friends & I were talking about this.  The funny thing is none of us care a lick if we accidentally flash a boob while nursing in public.  However, having to show off our tummies in all their stretch-mark glory, THAT is what we're modest about!

I'm ultra grateful to be sooooo flat chested b/c I really don't show much of anything when nursing and I will do it anywhere. 

• Can someone post a link?  I'm having a hard time finding it.  Thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Ohhh I'm glad I didn't see this, I would have thrown something at the TV. Attitudes like this are one of the many reasons BF can be so difficult for moms! UGH, I will consider writing an email to NBC, I think. :P
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is insane! I found the video if anyone is interested:

https://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/#44104472

I hope the link works.  The actual topic about breastfeeding is around 5:50... 

• No, breastfeeding in public would be inappropriate! Going to the bathroom is as natural as breastfeeding, however those of us with any class would take it to the restroom. If you need to breastfeed, go to a private place! Is that too hard for you?
  • Did they *** in the street too? That's horrible, Go to a private place, please! At least for the baby's privacy, for goodness sake.

• imagejenlbar1980:
    No, breastfeeding in public would be inappropriate! Going to the bathroom is as natural as breastfeeding, however those of us with any class would take it to the restroom. If you need to breastfeed, go to a private place! Is that too hard for you?

*scratches head* 

image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What???? It's not difficult to step into a restroom. Have a little class, going to the bathroom is a natural thing, do you do that in public too?
  • I'm an idiot because I have class? What is wrong with you. Maybe that behavior is acceptable in a 3rd world country, but in the United States we use restrooms.
  • OK, just cuz you have no class doesn't mean you should force that on an innocent baby! For goodness sake, adoption is an option. At least let the baby have a chance at a normal life. Wow, do you the number for your local social services? 

• now I'm just laughing at the obvious MUD.  You're an idiot b/c you're an idiot.  But yeah...sure...it's b/c you have class.  And I don't.  LOLOL.  You nurse your baby while sitting on a toilet in a public restroom, I'll nurse mine wherever I damn well please.  Doesn't offend me in the least to be called classless for it.  hahaha....
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I love me some troll for breakfast!
    image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hope you're not serious?! You have no right to treat an innocent child like that! How would you feel if your mom raised you with no privacy? How about if she walked around naked and *** in the street? It's natural right? That's insane! Please at least find some privacy to feed your poor child. Don't be so selfish, this is a human being you're talking about!! wow

• imagejenlbar1980:

I hope you're not serious?! You have no right to treat an innocent child like that! How would you feel if your mom raised you with no privacy? How about if she walked around naked and *** in the street? It's natural right? That's insane! Please at least find some privacy to feed your poor child. Don't be so selfish, this is a human being you're talking about!! wow

*pokes the troll*

I have a sleepy baby on the boob so I will play along.  

Shitting in the street = not cool.

Naked in the street = not cool.

Breastfeeding in public = Cool as heck because the woman has the balls to do what she thinks is natural. And does not care what others think! 

image image
  • If your baby could talk, he/she would tell you to go away! I hope you're kidding about forcing your child to do such a thing in public. That's abusive!
  • imageIove.wins:
    imageolivia_eve:
    imagethx2StGianna:

LOL! YesYesYes

I mean, nothing's going to become normal until it's treated as such. If you act like it's a big deal, it's going to become a big deal!

Yes  Ugh world...

• How does pulling out your boob and forcing poor baby to suck on it in public= cool? That should be a private thing. If you're not able to be a good parent, please ask for help! Or others will step in if you can't. 
  • Do you think it's absurd that people normally take their business to a private bathroom? If not, you need to turn yourself into social services as an unfit member of society. Any other woman who sits on this page all day trying to say its my right, I pee and poop and breast feed anywhere, I would even go naked but people would scream in terror, who cares about what my kid would want? Sick, I will contact social services for you people if you are unable to.

• I agree. I don't want to see a man's chest, and I dn't want to see a woman's chest either. Just cause animals do it, doesn't mean humans have to behave like animals. That's why we have manners. People excuse themselves to use the restroom, pass gas, blow their nose, burp, all natural things. Why can't they excuse themselkves to breatsfeed. Your child won't mind if you find a private area. Everyone else wouldn't mind that either. Why can't you just be polite? I'm sorry if anyone is offended, that is not my intention. I am merely stating my opinion on this matter. I don't want to offend, and I don't want to be offended, so please don't breastfeed in front of me lol
  • Just to add a PS, if youuse a cover, I think that is much better. I don,t think they cost that much. Heck, I'd buy some and hand them out if they'd get used :)
  • I'm bored so I'll join.

To the unwelcome trolls: how about YOU go eat you meal in the bathroom? Trust me, DS did not care if we were in the restaurant booth or wherever as long as he got food. And most of the time, the people around me didn't even notice. So go away. Why wake up a dead thread???

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"