3rd Trimester

Anyone with PP or low lying placenta NOT have to go on pelvic/bed rest?

I hope you ladies don't mind, but I am posting here because I figured you would have more insight being further along... 

I found out early last week from my A/S that my placenta is low, and I cannot remember the details (didn't know how serious of an issue it could be so I didn't as about much), but the tech mentioned it is either very close to the cervix or touching it.  Of course I consulted Dr. Google after that and everything I have read is hemorrhage horror stories and everyone has gone on pelvic/bed rest after they find out.

The U/S tech just said to take it easy, and stop running (I am active and have been for a long time, but have recently stopped running out of discomfort anyway), but don't necessarily stop being active.  I haven't had any unusual things in this pregnancy, not a single spot of blood the entire pregnancy, depsite being active--working out most days per week and sexually active, etc. I know it can move up, and there's still plenty of time for that, but for the time being I am paranoid.  

I have my Dr. appt on Friday and I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself if he tells me stop everything.  I don't know how I'm going to react if that happens.  Has anyone had this around this time and NOT have to go on bed rest and/or pelvic rest? 

I am very healthy otherwise, and it just seems so weird that I have a potentially very harmful issue going on with this pregnancy :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone with PP or low lying placenta NOT have to go on pelvic/bed rest?

• I am 31 weeks today & had placenta previa diagnosed at my 20wk u/s - haven't had any bleeding at all & have not been put on any kind of restrictions other than no lifting things over 15lbs.

My pregnancy has been pretty easy overall (just normal complaints) and the previa was still there at 28 wks. I have another u/s scheduled for next week and they will continue to monitor it until it either moves or I deliver.

Dr. Google is great at inciting paranoia - just roll with it & do what your doc (not the u/s tech) tells you. If you haven't had any bleeding, it's not likely you'll be put on pelvic rest.

• I have a complete but posterior and have been on pelvic rest since 20 weeks. I was told to treat myself gently but wasn't put on bed rest...until this week. I'm nearly 34 weeks and got my first bleed which my ob said it was common to not have a bleed until 36 weeks or so. I've been in the hospital for two days and am being released today for modified bed rest. If I have another bleed then they will keep me in the hospital. Good luck and I hope it migrates for you! It is very common for previas to move so hang in there.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was diagnosed with complete previa after my 18 week ultrasound. At that point I was put on pelvic rest. At 31 weeks I had a bleed and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. I'm now on bedrest until I give birth. 
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At my A/S they discovered my placenta was low lying, but no one told me until I went to my doctor's appointment the following week.  The MW was not very concerned as she said in the vast majority of cases the placenta will migrate/grow away from your cervix as your uterus grows.  I was not given any kind of restrictions and continue to exercise and have sex with no bleeding issues.

The MW sent me back for a repeat ultrasound on Monday (almost 34 weeks) to double check where the placenta is.  Unfortunately LO was not very cooperative.  He is head down and apparently too low for them to get a good look at where the placenta was.  I have a regular appointment on Friday and I hope I can get a little more info from the MW. 

Unfortunately everyone's story is different, but I think that if you haven't had any bleeding you are ok. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm 33 weeks and at my 20 week u/s they said low lying, posterior placenta.  I just had another u/s last week and the placenta is no longer in danger of covering the cervix.  I was never put on bedrest or pelvic rest. 
  • imageKAK ;->:
    I have a complete but posterior and have been on pelvic rest since 20 weeks. I was told to treat myself gently but wasn't put on bed rest...until this week. I'm nearly 34 weeks and got my first bleed which my ob said it was common to not have a bleed until 36 weeks or so. I've been in the hospital for two days and am being released today for modified bed rest. If I have another bleed then they will keep me in the hospital. Good luck and I hope it migrates for you! It is very common for previas to move so hang in there.

This is basically me... complete central PP diagnosed at 20 weeks... pelvic rest since. I am 32 weeks today. No bleeding yet (though I live in constant anxiety). At my practice, one OB said it was probably 50/50 that I'd have bleeding and end up on bedrest, another said I shouldn't be surprised if I have bleeding and it would be most likely around or after 34 weeks. We haven't scheduled a c-section yet but I am hoping against hope to get to about 38 weeks.

• I was diagnosed with a low lying placenta at my a/s and was not given any special recommendations. The only thing that happened differently is that I Had an u/s at 28 weeks to check if it moved (which it had). In the majority of cases, it's not severe enough to require pelvic rest and it moves by the time you hit 3rd tri. I wouldnt worry.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"