Multiples

1 gestational sac, 2 yolk sacs, 1 fetal pole?

So I had my first u/s sound today. It was a little scary. I ended up having 1 gestational sac with 2 yolk sacs, and 1 fetal pole. The fetal pole did show a flickering h/b. Although it was slow at 60 bpm. We were still able to hear it. Smile So the u/s tech had never seen 2 yolk sacs in 1 gestational sac before. So she called in my doctor. She confirmed, and said it is very rare to see this. So she tries to explain that maybe it is a vanishing twin, or the other baby might be hiding, or it might not be developed as far as the other. She said twins are slower are developing than singletons. B/c I was also worried that the other baby was only measuring at 6 weeks. So I have done some research, which I shoudlnt have done. And now I am more worried. Twins in the same gestational sac are called momo twins(there is a much longer, technical name). There are alot of complications, one main one being cord entaglement between the 2 babies. Has anyone else on here had or heard of any similar experiences. T & P would be greatly appreciated. I go back in next Wednesday for another u/s with a high risk OB. I am just hoping that the one baby will have grown and is fine. TIA ladies!!!
DS is 3 years old* BFP#1-12/30/11, CP-1/6/11* BFP#2- 1/31/11-missed M/C at 9 weeks-3/9/11, D&C-3/14/11* BFP#3-7/13/11-M/C at 10 weeks-8/26/11, D&C -8/29/11* BFP#4-10/31/11- Beta at 10DPO-19, Beta at 12DPO-118, RE recommended heparin 2X daily and progesterone 2X daily. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Praying this LO keeps growing!!!

Re: 1 gestational sac, 2 yolk sacs, 1 fetal pole?

• First off congrats!  Secondly, try not to panic about it just yet.  Twins in one gestational sac are actually monochorionic which basically means one placenta Most commonly they are diamniotic, 2 amniotic sacs.  It is really too early to know for sure if they are monoamniotic, one amniotic sac.  Mo/mo twins are really rare, but you are right that they are much higher risk.  There have been many mo/di twin mamas on here who have gone through the same scare because a dividing membrane could not be seen on an early u/s. 
  • I'm no doc but I'll tell you our experience. They told us our twins were momo twins because they couldn't see the membrane between them and they shared a placenta until I think it was 15wks! I had one tech say she could see it but no others nor the mfm docs. They had us worried sick and I was googling the heck out of the subject! I then posted about it on the bump and found out many other expecting moms didn't even see the membrane til later in the pregnancy. Depending on the type of twins the membrane between can be very hard to see because its so thin, much different from fraternal twins. It turns out ours is still tough to see but they did finally confirm it was there after scaring the crap out of us! so I will just say that of course anythings possible but from what I've been told momo twins are very rare but they also monitor you so well that there are successful births of momo twins even though it is a higher risk than other types of twins. Twins are always coinsidered high risk according to my OB. So I will keep you in my thoughts and hope they are proved wrong and they eventually find the membrane but if they don't please try not to worry, there are many healthy babies born that are momo twins. Keep us posted and keep positive! One thing I did after reading other stories of findin the membrane later, even at 20wks was reverese my thinking and I kept saying to myself, theres a membrane, they will find it and I made myself believe that. Sure enough they did find it. hang in there, either way lots of T&Ps headed your way!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much ladies! I feel alot better. Although still worried. I am going to try to stop googling now. So with your twins did they develop slower than a singleton would. B/c the doc said the fetal pole that was there was measuring at 6 weeks, and I should be around 7 weeks, 3 days. This also worries me b/c of my recent loss in March. But she did say not to worry b/c twins develop slower. With my loss I never heard, or saw a flickering hb. Where today we did hear a slow one, 60 bpm. And I could definetly see the flickering several times. Very obvious. And I guess I dont understand the seeing the membrane. It just seemed to me that there was one big sac(gestational sac), and then in it 2 smaller sacs(yolk sac), and then a fetal pole in the middle of them. Which I guess is inside the yolk sac? Or is it attached to the yolk sac. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again ladies. Im sure I will be filling your ears around here with questions coming up.
    DS is 3 years old* BFP#1-12/30/11, CP-1/6/11* BFP#2- 1/31/11-missed M/C at 9 weeks-3/9/11, D&C-3/14/11* BFP#3-7/13/11-M/C at 10 weeks-8/26/11, D&C -8/29/11* BFP#4-10/31/11- Beta at 10DPO-19, Beta at 12DPO-118, RE recommended heparin 2X daily and progesterone 2X daily. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Praying this LO keeps growing!!!
  • My guys were di/di but I can tell you that my early u/s didn't show as much as they expected. I had one at 6 weeks to see the hb and it was just poles. I went back at 8 weeks and they were still a bit behind. They seemed to catch up at 12 weeks.

Try not to buy trouble just yet momma. I know it's hard to be patient and it's frightening. Hopefully, you will know more in a week or two. *hugs* 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I was never told that twins develope slower by any doc. Mine have been measuring ahead in size and doing great all along. Just take good care of yourself and stay positive right now even though its tough. Doc's can freak us out by saying too much too soon it seems. They also did tell me that just like people babies are all different in how they measure. someone 5ft tall could weigh 120lbs but not everyong 5ft tall will weigh that, so same for twins not all twins at 12wks will be the same size. Glad you are feeling a little better.
  • imageMrs. Alice:
    First off congrats!  Secondly, try not to panic about it just yet.  Twins in one gestational sac are actually monochorionic which basically means one placenta Most commonly they are diamniotic, 2 amniotic sacs.  It is really too early to know for sure if they are monoamniotic, one amniotic sac.  Mo/mo twins are really rare, but you are right that they are much higher risk.  There have been many mo/di twin mamas on here who have gone through the same scare because a dividing membrane could not be seen on an early u/s. 

This exactly! We're mo/di and had a heck of a time finding the membrane at 12 weeks and still to this date it can be hard to find... at 6 weeks it is too early to jump to the conclusion that your babies are mo/mo so I would try not to worry about it yet .

• Will keep you in T & P's!!!

Sending you LOTS of HUGS!!

• When I was around 7 weeks I was told I was having momo twins.  Three weeks later (when I saw the MFM for the first time), I was told they were actually mo/di twins.  So just relax and step away from Dr. Google.  ;)  If you ARE having momo twins, there are plenty of success stories but they are EXTREMELY rare. 

Best of luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Visit My Twin Life 
  • My u/s tech at 7 weeks suspected mono/mono.  That earned us a polite warning about vanishing twin.

At 10 weeks (I think), we could see a dividing membrane.  At that point, silly OB (yet wonderful for so many other reasons) said "They are not identical.  While identical twins are fun too, a fraternal twin pregnancy is less risky."  (Um, wrong again at the diagnosis. To this day I think he was unsuccessfully articulating the challenges of mono/mono, and not identicals in general.) 

The MFM and his higher tech equipment finally got it right a few weeks later -- mono/di!  My identical twins shared a placenta and a gestational sac but were in two separate amniotic sacs (the dividing membrane).

*Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"