September 2011 Moms
Options

Have any of you heard of/done this?

A SIL of mine had her little boy last week, and when I was talking with her about the birth, she mentioned that she tore some, but that her midwife (this was a home birth) did not stitch her up at all. I thought that was routine with episiotomies and tears? I mean, giving birth seems like it stretches you out enough, and wouldn't leaving a tear unstitched would just make it way too loose down there? Have any of you ladies heard of cases like this?

Re: Have any of you heard of/done this?

• Options
    I have heard that, depending on the severity of the tear, that sometimes stitches aren't needed. If it was just a little tiny tear that would heal on it's own, I'd probably hope for no stitches too :) But if it's flapping around, stitch that sucker up haha!
  • Options
    Well, it probably wouldn't have been proper etiquette to ask how big of a tear she got, especially since both of our husbands were present,Stick out tongue but I'll hope for her sake that it was small.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageshelovesfrodo:
    Well, it probably wouldn't have been proper etiquette to ask how big of a tear she got, especially since both of our husbands were present,Stick out tongue but I'll hope for her sake that it was small.

Yes

• Options
    Very minor tears don't always warrant stitches. I had a severe tear with so many stitches, it looked like the doctor was making something, lol.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had a slight tear (maybe 2-3 stitches tops) on the inside of a lip but not down from the vagina to anus. I opted not to have the stitches (my labor was quick and there was no time for pain meds even if I wanted them) and it still healed up perfectly fine. You can't even tell except for the fact that it is 'smoother' then normal in that spot.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    My biggest fear is to tear again this pregnancy because that was the hardest thing for me with recovery.  It literally took me 8 weeks of recovery time and i still don't feel totally normal and we think it was the way i was stiched up with my first.  I asked my midwife about it this time and she said if i have a 2nd degree tear or less she won't stitch me up at all and just use some dermabond and surgical tape and let me heal myself.  She said i was probably stitched too much for my tear last time and thats why it was so painful and i had such a hard time with it. 
  • Options
    With my 1st child my midwife said that I had a minor tear that did not require stitches, but that she "was going to do them anyway".  So, I assume if it's minor some providers will just let you heal on your own. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"