Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Bumpers

How do you feel about bumpers?

We have always had one in A's crib but he only started sleeping in his crib last week. Last night I couldn't sleep because I was worried that he'd suffocate so I got up and removed the bumper in the middle of the night. We were up over and over because he would be rolling/crawling/scooting in his sleep and would hit his head or get a limb stuck. I know we can get the breathable bumpers to keep his arms and legs from getting stuck but what about protecting his little head? I got up to console him about 6 times before I finally had H sleep with him in the living room in the PNP.

He is very mobile so I think he'll probably be safe from suffocation but he also sleeps very deeply so I guess I'm afraid that he'll scoot into the corner, bury his face in the bumper and suffocate in his sleep.

What does everyone else do?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bumpers

• We have breathable bumpers in her crib. I like that she doesn't get her chubby little thighs stuck in the slats.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We've used a bumper for a few months now. He's been in his crib since 6 weeks, but we left it bumper-less until he was around 6 months old. By 6 months, he was constantly rolling to reach what he wanted and I felt completely confident that he'd be fine. Now that he's crawling, sitting, and standing in his crib, I'm glad the bumpers are there.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Loading the player...
  • I just put the bumper back in my crib.  I had removed them when she first started sleeping in her crib, but now that she moves so much she kept waking up when she smacked her head off the side and her arms and legs were always caught in the slots.

photo 8171fa67-0749-444f-93ec-78250e104e5f_zps37aefc95.jpg

• I'm horrible apparently, because DD has had bumpers in her crib since day 1. She didn't always sleep in her crib, but she has been in it for a solid 3 months now. She moves so much during the night, I guess I don't worry about her suffocating.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
    Pinterest:misskristina22
    Instagram:misskristina26
  • We use the breathable bumpers. It keeps DS from getting limbs stuck but he also tries to pull up and I'm afraid with regular bumpers he'd be able to stand on them (the breathable collapse under his weight so he can't get any leverage).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have breathable ones, but you have to take any kind of bumpers off once they learn how to pull up to stand. The bumpers can be used as leverage to hop out of the crib. My guess then is that everyone deals with some stuck limbs or bumped heads eventually because there is not much you can do after a point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use a breathable bumper.  She does tuck herself into the corner with her face up against it.  As for his head, hopefully he'll calm down a bit with his mobility as he gets used to sleeping in there. Right now, it's probably just so new and exciting.  That said, DD has been in her crib for 3 months and still uses every inch of it to sleep, lol.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We had to use breathable bumpers because:

1) LO buries her face into the bumper ALL THE TIME

2) She moves around the crib like crazy

The first night she was in the crib, I had to get the pack and play and put her in there to sleep because it has mesh sides.  When she was in the crib with the regular bumper on, she buried her face in it.  When I took it off, her arm was hanging out of one of the slits.  The next morning I bought the mesh bumpers at BRU.  She still sleeps with her face smooshed against it, but at least I know she can breathe and I can actually sleep knowing she is safe.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenbeseau:
    We have breathable ones, but you have to take any kind of bumpers off once they learn how to pull up to stand. The bumpers can be used as leverage to hop out of the crib. My guess then is that everyone deals with some stuck limbs or bumped heads eventually because there is not much you can do after a point.

If you lower the crib mattress, it really isn't completely necessary to remove the bumpers. Most new bumpers collapse to barely provide any additional leverage.

ETA - I know that that's not the PC answer, but my kid isn't anywhere near the top of the crib, even if he were to stand on the bumper. We have our crib on the lowest setting though. 

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • We also just started using breathable bumpers. Before we were using nothing and LOs had been getting lots of limbs stuck! I guess there isn't much you can do about a head smack, unless you use a regular bumper. Our pedi was OK with the breathables and said to outweigh the risks. There is a much greater risk of a twisted leg than my 6-month olds suffocating. I still get a little nervous though!! I know lots of Bumpies are anti-bumper period. 
  • we've always had regular bumpers in DS's crib, where he sleeps since he was 2m old

he went from not moving at all to pretty much fully mobile so suffocation hazzard was never a big concern for us

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"