September 2011 Moms

A question for BTDT Moms?

How important were these things right from the start (if you had them)?

Diaper champ or something similar

A swing that swings back/forth and side/side

A baby tub

A nursing pillow

A changing pad

An extra car seat base

A diaper bag

An infant/todler 1st aid kit

My shower was this weekend and I received mostly clothes. I did get some gift cards so I want to put them to good use. Thank you in advance.

Re: A question for BTDT Moms?

• imageTeamJAS:

A baby tub

A nursing pillow

A changing pad

An extra car seat base

A diaper bag

My shower was this weekend and I received mostly clothes. I did get some gift cards so I want to put them to good use. Thank you in advance.

Bath tub wasnt used until all three of my LO's cord fell off so wasnt that important to have when they came home.  I had fancy changing table with pad with first LO it never was used ,i just used receving blanket and layed it under her when ever or where ever i changed her mostly on floors beds and sofa. nursing pillow was nice i didnt have one and sent a family member out . never used diaper champ just cheap plastic bags tied each diaper in them and tossed them in reg trash never issue.hope that helps a bit

• imageTeamJAS:

Diaper champ or something similar-We have a diaper genie and really liked it but we actually didn't use it in the very beginning because she was in our room and it was in her room. I could have done without one but I would have needed something for by her changing table when she was bigger and squirmy.

A swing that swings back/forth and side/side-My daughter hated her swing. She loved her bouncer. You never know with this one. You might try borrowing one or getting one second hand to try out.

A baby tub-We used this from the beginning. Ours had a sling in it for before the umbilical cord was gone. We used a towel on the floor as well but after 2 weeks we used it everyday until she was about 6 months old. It saves your back since it fits in a sink.

A nursing pillow-I used it but not all that often. It was nice for tummy time.

A changing pad-I'm not sure if you're talking about the kind for a changing table or the kind for the floor that just folds up. We used the changing table all of the time. I used the fold up one that came with my diaper bag occasionally. You could make due with a blanket or the disposable ones. Sometimes the changing tables in bathrooms are not all that clean. It was nice then.

An extra car seat base-We never used one but we did have one. Probably depends on your pick up/drop off situation. I always did both because I work closer.

A diaper bag-Used everyday. Especially if you are sending your child to daycare. We actually had two. One for home and one for the sitter. We got one free from the hospital as well. It was a similac sample bag. They gave them out if you were breastfeeding as well. 

An infant/todler 1st aid kit-I didn't need one until she was older and walking. I made my own using a travel soap case and filled it with what I needed. I keep it in my purse. I did have things like a thermometer and infant tylenol, mylicon drops etc at home before that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • diaper champ is a waste of money, i had one for DD and never used it we just always took her diapers to the regular trash and typically the trash goes out each day to the bigger can outside so never used it!

swing was my best friend and in the beginning thats how i got a nap when i really needed it so that would be what i would spend the money on.  You don't need anything crazy expensive though just a basic swing will do the trick.

Baby tub, used as soon as her cord fell off and it was very easy however you can just buy a seat or sling that fits right in your tub that baby just lays on and that works just as good. 

Nursing pillow i used in the hospital right after i gave birth!

Changing pad i didn't have one til later and just laid her on a towel and that worked just fine.

We never had an extra base for the carseat, we always take my car when we have the kids and if not its easy to move so i will move it if need to.

Diaper bag will be packed and go to the birth center with me and did the first time too.  If you plan to go anywhere you will need a diaper bag.

first aid kit, you might want to buy nail clippers and thermoter but thats all you really need in the beginning. 

Hope this helps.

• Diaper champ or something similar
    We never had one, and still don't.  Dirty diapers go in the bathroom garbage and it gets emptied every 1-1.5 days, so never smells too bad.  We use scented garbage bags.

This was huge for us, since it was the only place he'd sleep at first, but it's so different depending on the baby.

A baby tub

We didn't give him a bath til his cord stump fell off, so about 6 days I think?  Then we only did a bath every week or so and just did warm washcloths in between. 

A nursing pillow
    I used this a lot, right from the begining in the hospital.  Once I got the hang of things, I could use a few pillows just as easily, but I did like having the Boppy at first (I know others swear by my breast friend, i never tried that one).

A changing pad
    Not a necessity, you can definitely just change the baby on a bed/couch/etc. but if you have a change table it's probably worth just buying one to have on there.  I found I didn't do more than about 50% of diaper changes in his bedroom, the others were around the house on other surfaces and it was just fine.

An extra car seat base
    We only have one car so this wasn't necessary for us.  But you can research the way of installing the car seat with the seatbelt if you are just switching cars occasionally.

A diaper bag
    I still don't have a diaper bag, and don't plan on it.  I just throw what I need in my purse.  Diapers, wipes, a snack, sippy cup, and I'm good to go.

You may want this off the bat, or at least a thermometer.  You'd want to know if LO was running a fever.  Trying to think of what else comes in a kit that you'd need.. don't need the nail clippers, I think it's easier to just bite their nails.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Diaper champ or something similar: THIS IS MORE OF A CONVENIENCE ITEM. YOU COULD PROBABLY DO W/O FOR A FEW WEEKS. JUST HAVE SOME OLD SHOPPING BAGS TO PUT DIRTY DIAPERS IN.

A swing that swings back/forth and side/side: YEAH, YOU'LL WANT A SWING

A baby tub: YOU COULD JUST LAY BABY ON THE FLOOR FOR THE FIRST COUPLE OF TIMES BECAUSE YOU REALLY ONLY WASH WITH A CLOTH. YOU REALLY ONLY NEED THE TUB WHEN THEY START MOVING AROUND AND AFTER THE UMB CORD FALLS OFF.

A nursing pillow: I'D SAY NO TO THIS ONE TO START OFF WITH. YOU CAN ALWAYS PROP YOUR ARMS UP WITH A BEDROOM PILLOW

A changing pad: YOU CAN USE A BATHROOM TOWEL INSTEAD

An extra car seat base: ONLY NEEDED REALLY WHEN THE BABY GOES TO DAYCARE AND MORE THAN ONE PERSON IS PICKING UP/DROPPING OFF

A diaper bag: IF YOU HAVE A HUGE PURSE LIKE ME, JUST THROW YOUR BABY ITEMS IN THERE. YOU REALLY DON'T NEED ANOTHER BAG TO CARRY AROUND. : )

An infant/todler 1st aid kit: WE DON'T HAVE ONE AND DIDN'T HAVE ONE WHEN DS WAS BORN AND PROBABLY WON'T GET ONE WITH THIS BABY.

"It's not what you look at that matters...it's what you see." Married 9.24.2005 DS born 5.2.2007 DD born 8.26.2011 imageimage
  • imageTeamJAS:

A baby tub

A nursing pillow

A changing pad

An extra car seat base

A diaper bag

- We never had anything special for diaper disposal.

- We have gotten lots of use out of the swing so far as both boys liked to sleep in it. But I agree, that's no guarantee every baby will enjoy it.

-  As soon as the cord fell off, we used the baby tub.

- LOVE my Boppy for nursing.

- We used ours from the beginning. but a changing pad probably isn't essential. You could always lay down a towel or something if you wanted.

-  We barely used the car seat base. It just took up too much room and our car seat was able to be installed just using a seat belt which we found easier/more space-saving.

- I'd say a bag of some kind is absolutely necessary. I don't really use a diaper bag, though. Just a big floppy bag I got from Old Navy a few years ago.

- The first aid "kit" is really convenient, but probably not necessary if you just wanted to get some of the most essential items separately.

• Diaper champ or something similar -- Not necessary at all. Newborn poop doesn't stink if BFing, not sure about FF), so we didn't use our Diaper Genie until he started solids.

A swing that swings back/forth and side/side -- We had a standard swing and used it from day one.

A baby tub -- We used this from day one, even for the first sponge bath before the cord stump fell off. Not necessary, but we still used it.

A nursing pillow -- Absolutely necessary, IMO.

A changing pad -- Some people never use the changing pad, but we used ours for every single changing from day 1.

An extra car seat base -- Not necessary. I didn't take DS anywhere by myself for at least a month, so he only rode in one car. If you need to use a second car for some reason, it's perfectly safe to strap the seat in using the seatbelt without a base.

A diaper bag -- Useful, but not necessarily necessary. Most hospitals will give you a freebie diaper bag (usually sponsored by a formula company)

An infant/todler 1st aid kit -- Completely unnecessary altogether. So many useless products in these overpriced kits. Just get a good rectal thermometer, some infant acetominophen (Tylenol), and some gas drops (Mylicon).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you so much! I thought I could get away with not having some of this stuff so it feels good to hear that some of you have. I feel better now.
  • imageTeamJAS:

A swing that swings back/forth and side/side-I used this right away. I'd put baby in it and put by bathroom door for my shower time.

A baby tub-I didn't use it until the umbilical stump fell off

A nursing pillow-I used this within a day of getting home.

A changing pad-Never used one

An extra car seat base-never used one

A diaper bag-maybe by the 2 week appt, but if you have to go somewhere sooner, you should have one ready. You never know.

An infant/toddler 1st aid kit-Meds. wise-Tylenol for shots, alcohol for stump, qtips for stump

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • I loved my diaper champ.  I just got another one at my shower and they changed the design so now it smaller and top-heavy, but I still love it.  DD didn't use her swing that much but it was real crappy.  We got a new one this time and it just goes back and forth, not side to side.  Baby tub's are a PIA because they are huge and I couldn't ever figure out what to do with it in between baths and I ended up just using the sling that came with it eventually anyway.  I got this one this time https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11344081.  Changing pad and extra car seat base are both definite must haves.  A diaper bag was crucial for me, but make sure it is big enough.  You will be carrying around more crap than you think at first.  Those first aid kits are a waste I think.  I still have stuff from one I got with DD 5 years ago that I never opened. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Diaper champ or something similar - We had one from the beginning that we used.  It's not really essential though.  We only put poopy diapers in it when DS was EBF.  Once he started solids we threw all poopy diapers in the kitchen garbage that goes out every day.  So if you FF they poopy diapers will stink up any Diaper Champ/Genie from the start.

A swing that swings back/forth and side/side.  We had a back/forth swing.  DS was never a huge fan of it.  I totally could have done without it.  Hoping DS2 likes it better thand DS1 did.  A bouncy chair was pretty essential for us though.

A baby tub  I mostly gave DS sponge baths on his changing table for the first few weeks.  Even after his belly button fell off.  We put him in the big tub with DH and he hated it.  So it was easier for me to just wash him on the changing table.  Newborns don't get really dirty in the beginning.  And DS had sensitive skin.  So that worked better for us.

A nursing pillow  Very essential.  I didn't bring mine to the hospital and I wished I had.  But I used it daily the first 6 months at least. 

A changing pad   This was a must for us.  I did every diaper change on the Changing pad on the changing table/dresser in DS's room.  I know some people do them on the couch or the floor.  But with having a Section the table was easier for me.

An extra car seat base  Not super essential.  But it would be worth it to have them both and get them installed properly before baby comes.

A diaper bag It's a must to have one.  But it doesn't have to be an actual diaper bag.  You can use a regular tote or something too.  If you haven't found one you really like yet.  DS's first outing was back to the hospital.  They make you come back when the baby is a week old to check on Mom and baby.  We didn't bring one.  DS peed through his outfit and we didn't have a spare.  It just hadn't occurred to me to pack one.  They had to give us clothes.

An infant/todler 1st aid kit  You probably won't need it right away.  But I think it's best to have it before the baby comes.  You never know.

• The swing was a lifesaver when DD wouldn't stop crying.  It seemed to be the only thing that soothed her. 

We never used a baby tub.  We bathed our kids in the bathroom sink and once they got to big just used a wire bath-eze to bath them in the bathtub. 

For DD I didn't have a nursing pillow, I just used a pillow from our bed.  When DS was born someone gave me one and I wished I'd had it the first time around.  It was much more comfortable and easier to hold baby. 

We had a changing table so didn't use a changing pad all that often. 

Never had an extra car seat base.  Most infant car seats can be strapped into a vehicle with a seat belt and no base.  You'd have to check your car seat manual to see if you can do it with your car seat. 

The diaper bag is a must if you ever plan to leave the house.  It's amazing what one LO can need when away from home.  Forgot mine a few times when running errands and soon realized the importance of having one. 

Never had a 1st aid kit, just bought the items we needed and stocked up the medicine chest.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We had a diaper genie and it is a must (a diaper pail of any kind). No swing, we survived. Used the baby tub all the time! Couldn't have loved my boppy pillow more, especially for nursing while trying to get some work done at my desk (I work from home) but also everywhere else. Yes to the changing pad. Where else do you want to change the baby? You can try on the bed but you back will kill you in no time. Never had an extra car seat base, we never use DH's car because it is a 2 door one and there is also no way to transport a stroller in it. No fancy diaper bag but we still use what we got, you need something to store all the stuff in. We have 1st aid kits in the car and at home, general kits, nothing specific for a toddler.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTeamJAS:

A baby tub

A nursing pillow

A changing pad

An extra car seat base

A diaper bag

Im going to rank them in the order that I found to be MOST helpful first:

Infant 1st Aid kit- you cant use most medicines for newborn, but the clippers and nasal bulb are a must for new babies

Nursing Pillow-good support for your arms, just make sure you also have good back support

Diaper Bag-I tried once just packing a tote when i forgot the diaper bag at grandma's and everything was just a mess! I like the compartments of a diaper bag

Baby Tub-the newborn sling in most of them saved my arms, so i didnt have to hold him half out of the tub

Changing Pad-useless, i ended up changing DS on the bed or sofa most of the time

I didnt get:

A Swing- (i am very into AP, so i wore DS most of the time he would have "normally" been in a swing) the tummy time mats are very good to have for entertainment for LO though. Passing on a swing this time too.

Extra car seat base- DS was rarely in his dad's car, so the extra base was just unneccessary (i thought) to get one. Not getting one this time since DH has a sports car and if he thinks a car seat will even fit in that tuna can he is dreaming!

Diaper Genie-just never got one...tied the dipes in a walmart bag and tossed in the outside trash. Alot of work though, definately getting one this time!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"