Two Under 2

XP: Successful Breastfeeding 2nd time around?

Did anyone here have a low supply breastfeeding with their first child, and then no problem w/ the 2nd?

I had a low supply w/ DD, the lactation consultant took one look at her and said she was sucking on her tongue, probably in the womb also, and so she wasn't relying on me as much to feed. thus, my supply was low and nothing ever helped it get back up, not tea, reglan medication, etc.I breastfed for 4 months, but supplemented w/ formula the whole time.

I'm just wondering who has been successful the second time around? I'd love to hear something encouraging...

thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Successful Breastfeeding 2nd time around?

• I had a really difficult time bfing the first time around- it seemed impossible to get a good latch and was super frustrating so after 6 weeks or so I gave up.  With my second, I have been EBFing for going on 14 months now and it was SO MUCH EASIER!  I'm not sure why- I think because I knew what to expect and was determined to devote as much time as possible those first few weeks letting him "practice".  I was just thinking today that I can't believe I did it and made it this long!  Now I need to figure out how to stop!  :)  Best wishes!!!
  • THANK YOU! And congratualtions!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I nursed my first for 6 weeks due to horrible pain that the LC said would likely not resolve (issues with a prior breast surgery). My second I have nursed for almost 12 months and she is starting to wean herself. But NO PAIN at all and didn't need any supplements for my supply.
    My "Irish twins" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

pPROM at 27 weeks, Birdy born at 28 weeks at 2lb 7oz.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageefortune:
    I nursed my first for 6 weeks due to horrible pain that the LC said would likely not resolve (issues with a prior breast surgery). My second I have nursed for almost 12 months and she is starting to wean herself. But NO PAIN at all and didn't need any supplements for my supply.

I am so glad to see this post! I was going to ask the same thing. I had issues w/DD, I had prior breast surgery and very low supply, both my doc and LC said I would prob always have to supplement. So after about 3-4 weeks of trying, tears, and lots of frustration I ended up FF.

I would like to still try 2nd time around, but of course I automatically feel like I probably won't be successful again. I'm not sure if that idea makes me want to try harder or to give up earlier and not get so stressed over it.

• imageefortune:
    I nursed my first for 6 weeks due to horrible pain that the LC said would likely not resolve (issues with a prior breast surgery). My second I have nursed for almost 12 months and she is starting to wean herself. But NO PAIN at all and didn't need any supplements for my supply.

I am so glad to see this post! I was going to ask the same thing. I had issues w/DD, I had prior breast surgery and very low supply, both my doc and LC said I would prob always have to supplement. So after about 3-4 weeks of trying, tears, and lots of frustration I ended up FF.

I would like to still try 2nd time around, but of course I automatically feel like I probably won't be successful again. I'm not sure if that idea makes me want to try harder or to give up earlier and not get so stressed over it.

• imageCass&Derek:

imageefortune:

I had DD1 prior to breast surgery and no issues....4 years ago I had breast surgery and had low milk supply issues w/DS2 (w/natural supplements, SNS, domperidone, you name it!)...so come DC3 I at least know to expect issues and not stress as much or try harder...who knows what I will do.  I don't think I will give up...but I think I won't be as devastated bc I will be prepared.

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"